Behringer Neutron

Just one more synth and I’m done :smiley::laughing:

5 Likes

You could always sell something else. :smirk:

1 Like

I’ve done that once almost 10 years ago and I’m still kicking myself for that stupidity… :pensive:

1 Like

what did you sell ?

1 Like

@Nagualizer

I sold everything I had back then but a Ms20 filter clone , I’ll never part with that :slight_smile:

Roland Juno-6
Roland Jp-8080
Waldorf Microwave Xt
Waldorf Pulse+
Novation Supernova
Sherman Filterbank 2
Frostwave Blue Ringer
TFPro Edward The Compressor
Trident Audio Mta-80b channel strip
Alesis Midiverb 4
TL Audio Fatman Fat 2
Mackie 1402 Vlz
Akai S2000
Neutrik Patchbay
and a whole bunch of custom Tasker/Neutrik cables…

I’m for sure forgetting something since it’s been a long time :frowning:

Don’t regret it all though, mostly the Juno, Sherman, Trident and Edward… Someday I’ll buy those again :smiley:

dude, how could you sell a microwave Xt? :cry: I remember trying that in a shop and almost drooling.

2 Likes

I don’t know what the hell I was thinking selling any of that stuff tbh, if I’d had a time machine I’d go back to 2009 and slap myself silly.

That is a wicked synth indeed, square wavetable with the waveshaper filters sick af tearing bass galore…

I did this back when I abandoned hardware to go itb. Convinced myself all the gear was unnecessary and unloaded it. Totally regret it all the time especially when I started to move back toward hardware.

On topic: really trying to tell myself I don’t want the neuron…

2 Likes

I sold mine too. I found that most waldorf stuff has a hollow, plasticy soudn to them. I know that’s changed with recent product but that was what stuck out for me on the xtk.

1 Like

The Neutron Swiss Army Knife

Another thing i really like about the Neutron, and something that increases it’s value to me are all the utility CV functions that are built-in.

Lacking a manual, i downloaded a nice big picture and was looking it over. So i could be wrong on some of this.

You get two attenuators, two voltage adders, a sample and hold with an optional external clock, an inverter, a two output multiplier, a slew rate limiter with CV control, a bucket brigade delay (it has cv control but somehow i haven’t found the output yet, perhaps it’s the main out?), and an overdrive distortion unit with cv control.

And then if you really want to break things down there is a vca, an lfo with cv controls for the rate, trig and shape!, two envelope generators (only with gate no cv on ADSR values, but you can use the knobs), the hot vcf with cv control of the freq and res, a noise output only with the volume on a knob, and the two great sounding oscilators with cv shape control.

I can completely justify this box (or two!) for just the utility parts – and from that perspective i get the complete synth for free, in a way.

Beside the wallet friendliness another things i like about the price is that i will feel no compunction hacking this. And at the price other clever people may offer useful small add-on specialized modifications that would make sense. So for instance the eight cv inputs for complete envelope control, or something else that didn’t find a place onto the patch panel.

I picture this perhaps combined with the functional utilties of the new Arturia Minibrute 2s, and/or the Moog DFAM. Add the Empress Zoia just for digital effects, and you’d have the NAMM 2018 Synth Platter.

ADDITION OR CORRECTION: The patch panel CV control for the vcf may not have an input for the frequency – i think instead the input is for the VCF Mode – low pass, band pass, high pass.

2 Likes

I hope I am not triggering anybody’s GAS but this thing sounds nice!

4 Likes

I have heard, the antidote for this GAS is about €299,- :wink:

4 Likes

I notice this video, all five and a half minutes of it, was done with a simple repeating midi-sequence, no patches, and primarily the adjustment of three knobs – filter frequency and res, and oscillator_2 shape. There was a handful of other tweaks as well – but the whole sequence was very simple.

In other words just what we are looking for :blush:

1 Like

Yup. I had gone back and forth with putting a conclusion on my post something to the effect of:
Good to see how easy it is with the Neutron to put together some good sounds.

1 Like

Yet no manual, and so i’m pondering – how much will be midi controllable?

Obviously we can go midi => CV, but maybe that won’t be necessary. Picture controlling this with an Elektron style sequencer (like say a Digitakt) directly with midi with a whole lot of CCs, and then LFO controlling those CCs as well.

Perhaps i’m hoping for too much?

Not much of a wait if they really do deliver in April. It’s 38 days now to April 1.

1 Like

There is a video with multiple Neutron in performance at the Behringer Facebook site, so this hints at the Neutron having midi poly chaining, as i wondered a couple weeks back.

I guess they want us to buy more than one.

1 Like

SynthGuru is live on Behringers Facebook page playing the Neutron, it really sounds gorgeous !
Oh my it sounds nooiiicccee :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Behringer just made life very hard these next few months… Showing off such things and it’s not shipping already is a little bit mean :disappointed_relieved::sob:

The Continuum of Shape
Forgive me for making one of those observations in the category of – “well of course you dummy!” The Neutron’s two oscillators and the LFO all have LEDs next to a series of discrete wave shapes. These are controlled by continuous dials. Is it that the LED indicates the wave shape selected, or is there a series with many many in between shapes, part this and part that? So for instance a little bit sine and a little bit triangle, but neither purely one or the other.

Watching the videos from DivKid, you can see that at times one LED gets a little dimmer, while the next gets a little brighter. So i’m proposing that this is the way the wave gets generated – so you can get a little of this and a little of that, with subtle change. (Hope so anyway.) This all selectable with dial, or CV or probably midi. I don’t think this is built in to the CEM 3340 chip – so they did something if this is really the way things work. Where is the Neutron manual?

I also noticed the LFO can run off the end too, from the last wave sawtooth around to the first again, the sine-wave.

And what are those four blinky blue LEDs for? There’s one each for the LFO, the overdrive, the sample and hold, and one for either the main volume or the midi in. My thought and i’m still scratching my head – is as an indicator of external modification either from CV or midi. Do you have a better idea?

Another random thought

It strikes me how different the Neutron oscillator shape method is to the system used with Arturia synths. Assuming i am right the Neutron can morph between different basic wave shapes, while Arturia generates many different shapes simultaneously, each of them can be morphed to more complex wave shapes, and then you are allowed to mix these shapes. (Obviously comparison can be made between many other oscillators, i just happen to be thinking about these two right at the moment.)

Very different sorts of waves would get generated from these two systems!