Behringer MS-1 [was MS-101]

There’s a lot of hate circulating around this particular unit, more than i have ever encountered. Why is that? It just can’t be purely related to the minor “newly introduced synth” bugs, which’s from my perspective have been dealt with quite well. It’s something more…

2 Likes

Its more towards the whole brand really. I personally try not to participate in that discussion anymore, its a very toxic one.

I get thet impression there are quite a few bitter synth owners out there who dont like the idea of others having stars on thars, it actually upsets them that someone can buy something that does the same thing for a fraction of the cost, some even think disposable income is directly linked to how hard you work and those who can afford moogs and vintage rolands haved slaved for their purchase while poor folk have ignored their education and wasted opportunities. The fact the ms101 is not quite the same as the original gives some ammo to the argument and digging at behringer makes them feel more secure. Its the same in all behringer clone threads, but this one has more obvious differences that can be picked on.

3 Likes

I didn’t get that impression from any of the posts I saw here or elsewhere.

I’d say some people don’t like Behringer for more or less obvious reasons. And some others think it’s morally wrong to exploit someone else’s intellectual property in a fairly niche market, even if it is legally OK.

On the unit itself, I haven’t heard it yet, but eg its user ratings on Thomann are quite low on average, mind you these are verified buyers.

1 Like

Thats not it…generally people dont like it when you bite their style. You can get sued or get a cease and desist.

They cant even come up with a name and logo that isnt a bite.

They are about to do a DS-80 (yamaha CS-80 clone). I could never afford a CS-80, and i STILL think its a jerk move. Yamaha wont be so easy on them. Why cant they come up with their own ideas?

It MIGHT be a touch more acceptable if they at least acknowledged the people that paved the way for what they are doing.

Try making an unauthorized Marvel figure and sell that :thinking:

2 Likes

Topic = Behringer >> MS-101 <<

4 Likes

never realized this but putting them side by side im glad to see that the MS-101 is smaller on the top.

Bought a D for my girlfriend this weekend and had a blast using it together, it sounds soooooo good and I’ll be buying the MS-101 as well. I’m totally in love with the little mod handle attachment :joy:

3 Likes

I think the most frustrating thing with them nicking designs is that the more ‘original’ stuff they have put out has been quite good - Neutron, Deepmind have both been well received and I loved the Crave announcement which is exactly the desktop synth that I want them to be making. Their stuff is good enough that they don’t need to be doing stuff like the MS101. They could have done a 32 key board with a sequencer and patch bay based on the Neutron.

The one thing I don’t get though is that there is clearly a market and I just don’t understand why it has never been filled by the license holders themselves. Gibson aren’t going to stop making Les Paul’s so why aren’t Roland and Yamaha better at this? Moog seem to be the only one of the well known synth companies that gets this.

The topic has to be about the MS 101 - there are dedicated threads for the broader Behringer politics - let’s not derail another one

2 Likes

Regardless the reason – i like the new name. RD-8, Pro-1, MS-1. Makes sense to me.

So will the ones already sold with the (now) defunct label MS-101 go up in value on resale?

3 Likes

Paying a premium for a ms101 seems pretty stupid to me it I’m sure someone will do it.

Personally I’d have preferred them to at least moved the ms-1 lettering to the right a little. Atm it just looks like they’ve had working removing a chunk of the sticker .

I’m still waiting for confirmation of how the portamento works as I like the squiggle acid lines from the og 101.

Just been looking online for a black version, none available till October however I’m seeing MS-1 and MS-101. What’s the difference?

Thanks

I definitely prefer the new naming convention, MS-1 sounds rad.

1 Like

I had the SH-01a which had chord memory, does anyone know if the Behringer has this?

Thanks

1 Like

no. it‘s monophonic

1 Like

I think society forces everybody who can afford it to buy a computer. It’s not free, but you already have one. Personally I feel the cost of using a personal computer as a musical instrument is my inclination to browse the internet.

I could really go for a groove box with specs that are the same or better than a decent personal computer, midi controller, audio interface, and DAW. Basically the music equivalent of a gaming PC. But apparently this an impossible request.

As it should be. I like the poly on the SH-01a, but the sound of the SH-101 is so distinctively one oscillator mono.

still fun to have both options :slightly_smiling_face: