Behringer K2

@senor-bling it seems so.
@Anfim mind sending your source? I can’t find it…

Meh, I’ve got an original MS20 ;p
Thanks Behringer, why not make something new and interesting instead of another clone?

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Behringer thread off-topic

A bit dull? I guess if it is £299 then probably sell well, but weird that they did not even bother to add any mods like PWM, LFO range, VCO outputs and any other common MS-20 mods.

Hopefully it will have full cc control though, the ms-20mini midi spec is basic at best.

3 Likes

That’d be cool. But I highly doubt it judging by their other recent clones. None of those had more than a very basic Midi implementation.

1 Like

Zero chance of any additional midi and rightly so - having a 2nd filter in a eurorack format at that price £265 with better build quality than the Korg (which I freqin’ love despite the quality and VCA thumps)

On balance i’d want the device in the classic chassis, but this has a more legible panel and whilst i doubt it’s rocking v/oct it would surely be quite a convincing reason to jump on it

Note there’s no output for modulation (and no wheel CV) - there is no clarification : ADDITIONAL MIDI on this - it could have had an assignable out as per Neutron, but clearly has none

Not what it is all about - it’s a VCO VCF VCA and all the fun of the korg filter is in the nuance of the potentiometer in your hand

It’s great! sold the Mini ms20, bought 2 Neutrons and can‘t be happier!
now it’s more Buchla like and I really don‘t miss the wobbling Knobs and permanent noise on the VCA which is really not cool

but I miss the filter and the external signal processor so thx to behringer I can just rack it up in line with the neutrons :innocent:

1 Like

Funny, I kind of like the ms20mini imperfections (my knobs don’t seem to wobbly though) it is raw, dirty and cheap, if it was food it would be a Pot Noodle Bombay Badboy :joy:

Next to my ms10 the ms20mini is worlds apart, although the 10 is even filthier with deeper bass, this was also the case with the og ms20 too though.

2 Likes

i know exactly what you mean and it’s great for some distorted wildness and rawness but I like the crystal clear voices and overlapping notes with both neutrons.
and the Full playable range of the oscillators
i was really impressed by Korg that they were doing a reissue and I was extremely bounded to the monotribe sound at this time

1 Like

btw I guess it’s glow in the dark paint on the K2 which would be really cool

Sorry, no proper source for that one, just rumours. A lot of the press info does say ‘eurorack compatible’ so I’d say that’s a big hint.

Cool to see both filter types available via a switch as well! This plus a Neutron will make a very fun modular playground.

1 Like

Does this mean I can’t plug my midi keyboard into this thing and play it? Do I need some modular gear or something?

1 Like

yes, of course keys will work - just no added midi functionality as per the critique above

This might be the one behringer synth I buy (for now). Been thinking about having an analog mono synth on my desk and was actually just looking at an ms 20 mini the other day. Wow. Didn’t think this would drop so soon.

corrected my ambiguous line - ps the control by midi may well be restricted in the way that the mini Korg is to a sweet spot of 3 octaves with wiggle room either side before the tuning falls to pieces due to the nature of the Hz/V setup

They say this is a clone at circuit level - given it also has both filter types, the screamy and the creamier then it is a no brainer -also my favourite synth voice - especially because of its quirks, it sounds alive and has the best resonance of any filter imho - it’s a great semi modular design and super flexible - all this lacks is a way to support a ‘modulating’ wheel - perhaps they have baked in some pitchbend support via midi

4 Likes

I had the chance to get the MS20M from Korg with all the mods included so im not interested but i think its nice to have (a probably better) alternative. Had the Ms20 mini but didnt like the build quality unfortunately so i’ve bought the rack version

EDIT : The Ms20 is probably my favorite analog mono. To me its the sounds of underground
80 electro new wave from England and Germany ex : DAF , Der Plan, Liaisons Dangereuses, KaS Product etc.

1 Like

I said it before but I think the Neuron is the most interesting analog Behringer has made, these cookie cutter clones don’t do much for me personally, although the one exception might be the Pro-One, still I’m not their target market :rofl:

2 Likes

Mostly agree but if that mono/poly clone ever comes out I’m going to be all over that!

@avantronica yeah shame they couldn’t squeeze in a wheel. One of my fav MS20 tricks is assigning the wheel to VCO2 pitch, lots of beating drones to be found in those small pockets when it’s pitched right down. I guess an attenuverter that sends constant voltage will do the job (anyone know if the Neutron attenuator works this way?)

2 Likes

That would be totally fantastic. I think that would sell it to me.