Behringer Model D Synth

Perhaps you have “Andre the giant” hands, I must admit i dont have a big hands and fingers.
It has several upsides i can rock any Boutique easily, pick my nose and so on, however being close to 50 i must admit i cant see shit on the boutiques without my glasses on, this is where my OG 1974 minimoog really comes in handy with huge knobs [quote=“Nagualizer, post:108, topic:37216, full:true”]

The TB 303 says hi, but I guess it is a subtractive analog synth so in a sense isn’t ENTIRELY original.

That is my experience from trying them in a shop. You need tweezers for some of those knobs. :disappointed_relieved:

Behringer stuff is mass produced in China, Moog is made in the US in much smaller quantities ( I think).
[/quote]

=)

1 Like

As a device, it’s utterly unoriginal and clearly derived from what came before. Step sequencers had been done. Simple subtractive bass voices had been done. 4-pole diode ladder filters had been done.

What’s original about the TB-303 is how acid artists have been able to turn it’s cost-cutting faults into features, and how they’ve invented a style of music from that. :wink:

2 Likes

If Moog decided to build a ‘desktop’ version without a high end trim that was fully manufactured overseas, then it absolutely could have been as cheap or at least significantly less expensive. You’re seeing right now that the parts costs for the Behringer D are probably well under $100. After manufacturing and shipping there’s a nice little profit, then the rest is dealer markup.

Moog knew there was a market willing to pay thousands for a ‘classic’ as used were selling for (IIRC $6-10K). $3K starts to sound like a bargain. They’re largely made and assembled in the US by hand which significantly adds to the cost, but they’re still obviously making a killing on it. And there’s nothing wrong with that… they should get whatever the market is willing to pay.

Maybe Moog will get a little more smart and offer some models fully built overseas with decent, but lesser quality trim as well as desktop units for less. Continue to offer high end versions exclusively built (aside from some of the circuit boards) by hand and tested in the US. They could expand their market share. Probably not though. Seems like they want to maintain a certain reputation and level of exclusivity. Keeping prices high is one way to do that.

1 Like

I think the 303 has more like a 3-pole (18db/octave) filter, and the way the sequencer is integrated and how the glide and accent work hadn’t been done before but I could be wrong, and this is entirely academic anyway :slight_smile:

Most of a modern Moog is manufactured overseas. They are designed and assembled in Asheville, but most of the delicate work is outsourced.

1 Like

Common misconception, but no. It is 4-pole.

Well yes, but that’s exactly my point. By taking things that have been done before and using those, you arrive at new things. The development of the TB-303 did not happen in isolation.

IMHO the TB-303 is interesting exactly because the people at Roland tried to make a small bass synth with an integrated step sequencers as simple and as cheaply as possible.

The reason the glide has the same duration regardless of the pitch difference is simply because that’s easier to implement.

EDIT: Oh, and I don’t see what’s special or unique about the accents. Routing velocity to both amp and env had been done plenty of times before and is a rather obvious thing to do if you’re trying to emulate how a bass guitar is played. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you made that up or did they really say that in an official statement? I hope they never load Repro-5 and compare it to their “analog” deepmind synth. Could ruin the afternoon.

The discussion about Behringer-D will hopefully calm down a bit when it is released. Maybe it is the cheap analog synth we are waiting for. I´ll give it a chance and look forward to test it at a store.

Behringer cloning digital hardware? pfft dream on… They wouldn’t have a clue unless they magically got a copy of the original source code. That is why I’m guessing we will only see analog hardware clones from them. They’d go bankrupt trying to clone say, a machinedrum :}

1 Like

I know it’s a totally different sound, and I really like the Behringer D sound, but seeing what all I get in my $299 analogue (Korg Monologue) makes me it appreciate it even more: patch memory; an intuitive sequencer with 16 physical buttons, motion sequencing, and p-locks; battery operated; and a keyboard. Crazy what we can get for $299 nowadays.

3 Likes

Do you have any idea how much a modern smartphone would cost if half of the industrial world wasn’t making, and competing making parts for it? The economies of scale are powerful things, way beyond any funds of a mortal.

In IT tech, volumes of sales are 100 000 x bigger than in music gear… these lil facts affect the final prices so much it isn’t even funny.

2 Likes

Some blurps about Moog becoming a cooperative, and then some info on the production of the model D:

-Model D-

5 Likes

I catch your point OM!

Something i like from the Moog DFAM manual:

PRESETS
Please note that your DFAM is 100% analog, and as a result, each unit has subtle sonic differences due to component tolerances that make it unique. This means that two different units set the same way may sound slightly different. This is normal.

I like the this is normal.

6 Likes

yeah its from this recent post https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1196469-ub-xa-synthesizer.html that Uli made on gearslutz.

Any Synth that has a ladder filter is cloning Bob Moog’s design including the Analog 4 and many others.

1 Like

Oh my gosh, the possibilities…

5 Likes

That was nice!

1 Like

Gotta admit, seeing a 0-coast next to the boog D gives me some ideas…! SE-02 looking jealously at me right now

1 Like

Not only does it sound awesome on its own but it also has CV which is massive. Build quality is very good too, according to those who have it.

What’s not to like, considering it’s only 350 euros?

1 Like

the shit company making it that has made garbage products for decades and has garbage support to boot?

It’s made by Behringer