Behringer Model D Synth

The behringer also has 1/4" outs… so far the Roland boutiques come across as cheap toys, with built in speakers, 1/8" Jacks, the ju-06 I have has a good sound but left me really underwelmed overall. It’s my fear with the new se-02, I think I better wait until there has been proper reviews of this stuff instead of buying based off specs and a few internet videos. I honestly has more hope for the behringer than I have for any new Roland boutiques.

1 Like

The Model D, an Oberheim, Arp 2600 and OSCar? Fine. Wake me when there’s an EMS VCS clone.

1 Like

New sound demo

4 Likes

I agree, was really hoping to see some demos of it doing bass slides and leads etc

Meh ringer. Shady.

Preorders are up on Juno £299.99 seems cheap as chips!

i still dont fully understand , whats the big deal about the model D moog/behringer synth ?

It’s a $300 clone of a $4k synth- if you want that sound- analog and in hardware, that’s certainly the most efficient way to go about it

1 Like

Going to have to be bought at that price!

What is the midi implementation like? Hoping that each knob is accessible via midi cc, but wouldn’t be surprised if this is unlikely due to the price point.

Me neither, I keep wondering if I missed some demos that actually sounded good.

Aren’t there loads of side by side demos that show it sounding identical to a Minimoog?

Demos have been impressive but like always with gear I only believe it when it´s on my table. My second thoughts about this unit (same goes for the fantastic SE02) is that a certain tactile sensation is expected when you play a moog synth. Even the small mother32 has a solid build quality with knobs that you want to touch. I doubt that Behringer will keep up to that.

2 Likes

True, it would have been great to have the parameters respond to midi cc but guess you can’t have it all.

MIDI remote controllability is a two-edged sword. It’s great to have it for automation (and it usually also means preset capability), but at the same time it imposes a control resolution to the parameters.

In this case I am glad the boog D is without it. I am already getting quite annoyed by the low res parameters of my SE-02, especially the pitch fine tune ranges are bordering on unusability. Having too coarse osc tunings on a 3 osc monosynth takes away alot of the appeal IMO.

2 Likes

Behringer D sounds amazing on the few videos available but I’m tired of waiting. I have it on pre order but will probably cancel and get a Dreadbox Medusa instead, it should be released roughly at the same time as the D. I’m hoping we will get to see and hear it at NAMM.

2 Likes

Is this necessarily the case though? I had a Monologue and the pots on that were super fine. I’ve heard the same about the new Dominion Club. Both with midi cc control. Is it possible that the pots can have a higher resolution than the incoming midi?

yeah agreed that steppy knobs have no place on an analog mono.

2 Likes

I hadn’t watched Behringer D demos since the first few came out, it does sound good, and for 300 I’d love to try one out for a bit.

Oscar would be amazing!

1 Like

yeah, not necessarily no. The design can be made to work by either being very meticulous wrt to actual knob range, or by allowing more than 128 7-bit value range. The A4 uses bigger resolution than 128 for example.

Then there are those designs that have a larger reso for the knob than for the remote ctrl. A much better design still.