Behringer Brains Eurorack module

dull af :upside_down_face::+1:

To get even a hint of the code you have to click the “see more” on the product page and then scroll alllllllllllllll the way down to get a small asterisk to the github page.

Absolutely pathetic.

Arturia had the decency to slap the name Mutable on the product itself and front-and-center of their marketing, going so far as to go overboard with it.

(Mutable forum on “read-only” today)

Edited for corrected info: there is a small mention of it by clicking to open more description. Still sad.

3 Likes

Is it just me or has there been a general feeling of new appreciation/good will towards Behringer because of their approach to reissuing vintage synths… and we’re kind of hoping they can take that knowledge and move forward and develop their own thing… and doing this Plaits thing takes them 3 or 4 steps back in those rep stakes??
Is it me?

2 Likes

Arturia had no decency at all. they first claimed they had a collab with MI which was promptly dismissed as MI was not so pleased to have its name on a project which was in fact Arturia-only, except the oscillators code of course.

3 Likes

As I’d said, they went overboard, that’s true, and quickly rectified the situation. My point is in going overboard they wanted to at least associate themselves with Mutable as opposed to passing it off as their own original product.

1 Like

Which you were very critical of at the time, no?

1 Like

This is how I read it: they wanted to get a bit of MI’s credibility.

1 Like

I very much was. But Arturia acknowledged their wrong and made amends.

Arturia reached out, Emilie was happy, I am happy and would totally pick up a Microfreak is that’s where I was musically.

@acidhouseforall That’s my point: they wanted that Mutable name, whether out of respect or, cynically, the association. Either way, they showed respect to the original writer.

And there I was, thinking that Behringer maybe would bring out something original, eg a Broovebox of some kind but alas…

I don’t have a modular system, but if I had one, I sure as hell wouldn’t want a Behringer logo anywhere near that. It’s a bit like hanging up a yellow tree air freshener on the rearview mirror of a Porsche 911…

6 Likes

I’d be well up for some kind of Broovebox.

alas, as you say :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

They’re just very late to the MI clones party… there are lots of variations of MI stuff already… bigger, smaller, etc. Just check Reverb.com. They just… follow.

Either way, they showed respect to the original writer.

I don’t call that respect… even doing a poor rip-off of the modules graphic design… If that’s respect I can’t wait to see what you call disrespect.

2 Likes

But if Behringer had put MI’s name anywhere near it, you’d all be on here livid that they’d tried to associate themselves with MI.

6 Likes

exactly…

Stickers. Stickers will do :joy:

I kinda want a Plaits clone but certainly not this one as it’s bigger than the original. There are cool micro-plaits available elsewhere.

1 Like

No. I think there is some nuance missing.

Arturia’s original release made it seem as if it were a collaboration. It was not. That’s what I took issue with. They later changed up the marketing to reflect the reality, which was they were respectfully using Mutable code. As one should when cloning.

B here barely mentions the fact that it’s Mutable code, going so far as to make it neigh difficult to even find it. Making it come off as it’s their own original code.

1 Like

It should really be called ‘Someone else’s Brains’

Behringer Brains is misleading. It isn’t their intellectual property nor invention of a Behringer brain.

Can’t wait for Behrings…

4 Likes

Braids - Brains, doing the absolute bare minimum to credit the author of the original code, is straight trolling.

Bewels.

3 Likes

I haven’t watched the video, but on the product page they do mention MI and Plaits. But I’d say it’s not so much the code they need to acknowledge - there’s a licence spelling out what they can and can’t do with that - it’s the module design, which they’re clearly standing on the shoulders of. Crave / Mother 32 all over again, and it is a sad state of affairs, really.

1 Like

Loool, I was curious why this title and forgot about the predecessor’s name. Omg. So cheap.

Classic Behringer move…steal as much as you can while getting away with it legally and get free publicity through controversy online. Works everytime …

2 Likes