Beatstep Pro question

I’m thinking of making a purchase, quite impressed by the looks of the new firmware update. I’m wondering about the drum sequencer, if I had the Analog Rytm as the master, would I then be able to send clock along a chain with the Beatstep receiving clock somewhere along that chain, then have the Beatstep pro drum sequencer go into the AR’s midi in to make use of Polyrythms etc from the Beatstep? I know I had problems of freezing on the AR before when trying to send and receive midi at the same time.

Also is the Beatstep able to sequence lock different CV values of any CV input (would I be able to send a CV velocity out to any Parameter of a synth that has CV in and lock different values of that parameter to each step? I think that’s my understanding of it from reading up about it).

Cheers

1 Like

i would personally rely on the AR’s own sequencer for polyrythms, as it’s still a bit more flexible than the BSP sequencer. What you’re describing is possible, though.
Just make sure that you set up MIDI on the AR to what it needs to be for your particular purpose (not sending / receiving information you don’t need)
as for CV locking, yes, that is possible, you get 2 sequencer tracks that send pitch , velocity and gate tracks, and 8 drum trigs.

1 Like

Thanks.

The Analog Rytm doesn’t have Polyrythm though, not in the sense that something like the Octatrack does e.g you can’t set one track to be 7 step’s long and one 12 for example, unless there’s an update I’ve missed??

You totally can - the only difference with the Octatrack is that on the OT the scale length can be set per track, so you can run different tracks at different speeds - you can’t do that on the Analog boxes.

3 Likes

it does !

Hope you don’t mind if I use thread for some of my questions, since I also think about purchasing the BSP?
Also saw the update and the BSP seems to have a lot of functions for it’s price now.
Do you think the BSP is worth it, if you already own the OT for midi, and the A4 for cv? Somehow the BSP looks very immediate and easy to use to me.
I’d like to use the two Cv tracks for my modular, and maybe sequencing some apps in my Ipad. I read a lot about people complaining about bugs though, or was it only when it came out?

I have no problems with it now, although for space reasons I only pull it out once in a while, and haven’t updated the latest firmware yet.

I think it depends whether you need another sequencing option in your setup. Obviously it does CV/Trigger sequencing where the OT doesn’t. You get two lanes of CV/Gate/Velocity (which is essentially a utility CV output) and the Drum sequencer which is essentially 8 channels of trigger sequencing. You could use the drum sequencer as a clock divider, for example, if you’re not triggering drums in your modular.

For the price, it’s a very handy bit of kit, but you just want to work out whether it’s superfluous to your needs before diving in because (a) it’s not small, and (b) £200 is £200.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! I don’t sequence drums, but using it as a clock divider is an interesting idea.
I have the A4 as well, but I’m considering to free it from sequencing so I can use it’s modulation instead (need every modulation I can get :slight_smile:
Also thought about the sq1 for easy sequencing duties, because small and cheap. And does some nice tricks as well. The Beatstep seems appealing because of all the possible connections and the pads.

The SQ-1 is a cool little device but pretty limited compared to the BSP. I have both, but would say the only advantages of the SQ-1 are (a) size and (b) Midi to CV.

Hear you re: A4 CV outs - 4 LFOs!

1 Like

yes. pretty nice lfo’s :slight_smile: I’d like to have them all available.
I know the sq is pretty limited but looks fun for it’s price. But the BSP does quite a lot.
I use Numerology with a Launchpad mini which is very powerful but the computer is needed every time.
Maybe I try the sq1 first, if it fits my needs when I want to jam without laptop.

1 Like

So long as you’re happy with not being able to save any sequences, and happy limited to a max of 16 steps!

1 Like

yes… I’ll see. Have to think about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got the BSP yesterday, bought it mainly to sequence the 0 Coast. I’m also trying to use it with my Sub 37 at the same time, midi notes are fine but seem to be having trouble getting a tight clock sent to the Sub 37 for lfo’s etc, that said I’ve not really had time to read the manual properly so maye I’m missing something.

Also if I wanted to send CV to my Sub 37 and Moogerfoogers, which all take 5v I believe, would one of these enable me to send CV safely without frying them?

http://www.dv247.com/cables/koma-elektronik-attenuator-cable–211994?gclid=Cj0KEQjw1ufKBRDYrqLzrY3dy88BEiQAPI_r4aHtXzgoFRCXvVE3CKbBAPU1VAH3_D4hWZ2SF3YP14UaAn_98P8HAQ