Battling GAS or legit hit a dead-end?

It is fun, i have a Tempest and without the lust for designing sounds that thing dosent make much sense. You end up spending hours to design sounds, to be frustrated with its sequencer later. You could sell it, or sample the sounds and get over its limitation. I could have sticked to the A4 , but one has to try things, and some things are done clearly better on the tempest. (pink noise and not only white noise for drums is very welcome.) I dont know why elektron does not include different noise sourcesā€¦ still i love it for their nuances. The point is: love it for what it is and not for what it isnt.

1 Like

I used to be piss poor and by societyā€™s standards still am, but I would always put away money aside for my synth hobby. To the extent that I at one point spent money rather on gear than on bills/rent/etc. and got into a bit of trouble. But I was young and single and had no worries in the world.

As soon as you have to be responsible for someone besides yourself your priorities change. I donā€™t have kids and probably never will, as me and my GF are past that age, but just having a dog and a mortgage with my GF makes me take a lot more responsibility for my finances.

For the last year Iā€™ve had my business and as I have one employee there my first priority is to have enough money to pay his salary. Today is payday in my business but as Iā€™m running a bit low on funds at the moment I couldnā€™t afford to pay my self salary today. Fortunately I could afford to pay my employee, I personally can wait until monday when the next batch of money arrives.

For the OP: As others have suggested, Iā€™d take a heartfelt read on the NGNY -thread. Almost all of us there have been or are in a similar rut youā€™re experiencing right now. GAS is very real and quite harmful even though people like to downplay itā€™s role.

8 Likes

John Inverdale is that you?:nerd_face:

1 Like

If you donā€™t mind a complete stranger being honestā€“I was following that ā€œCreating a DJ setā€ or whatever thread you had going and by a half dozen posts in my thought was ā€œThis person is never going to finish this project, they overthink and over-discuss everything.ā€

All this talk and reading other peopleā€™s opinionsā€¦No offense to the community here because they are greatā€¦but who cares?

Also. It isnā€™t the gear. If you really wanted to do it, youā€™d do it on just the M:C or whatever other setup you can imagine. A discussion like this is just a road block youā€™ve made for yourself. Stop caring what we all think so much.

8 Likes

Iā€™ll admit I didnā€™t read the OG post until just now haha, yeah maybe just have a joint or a beer and mellow out a bit, meditate on being grateful for what you have

2 Likes

a) there is no perfect piece of gear

It might be perfect in the hands of someone else e.g. a guitar in the hands of Hendrix, or Jeff Mills and a 909, but the reality is weā€™re not those people and never will be without ā€¦ uh ā€¦ miracles.

b) I have made this mistake for a long time. ā€¦ comparing myself to people who have DECADES of experience in professional studios

Random example: System 7

Killer techno / trance act for going on 30 years. Steve Hillage and his wife - who are the core of what System 7 do - have been making music for nearly 50 years. Steve Hillage produced some Simple Minds albums FFS.

Will I ever be that good? Who cares, enjoy what you do.

Although itā€™s useful reference material, I wonā€™t ever have that kind of musical or production knowledge.

Just some thoughts ā€¦

2 Likes

I guess some people projecting or reading into things were gonna pop up eventually

Historically I used to not ever talk about my process or gear, thatā€™s just the past few months since having a surgery, some traumatic events around Christmas, getting sick twice and then having sleep issues partly leading to a loss of a yearā€™s work on an album that might have been out by now, combined with a midlife crisis that I think Iā€™m getting out of ā€¦ Iā€™ve just been dealing with a lot and talking about the things that the forum can actually help withā€¦ has helped!

A lot of it is reminders of stuff I already knew but have been clouded.

For those that missed the post ā€¦ Iā€™m bouncing stuff into Ableton, yā€™all. Thereā€™s no more questions about if I need any different gear. Anyway I like my gear. You were right the problem is my doubt and overthinking but at least Iā€™ve kinda figured out why Iā€™ve been overthinking and organized whatā€™s possible from what Iā€™ve been letting myself feel pressured about.

So to all those whoā€™ve been constructive thanks for the therapy session.

To those who assume I churn gear, or do nothing but get distracted by technical stuffā€¦ OK. I mean thatā€™s an element of my activities, but also not the only one, so sure, maybe from one angle youā€™re right, if it makes ya feel superior?

Also, care about what people think? Pfft! LMAO. Thatā€™s projecting dude.

The majority of the time wasted has been because I started thinking about how to do my live set and it spiraled from there. Previously I was pretty focused on just writing, thatā€™s when I created the Boss Rush devlog topic. Thatā€™s on hiatus due to needing a fucking break from that since I lost almost all of what I did since the last time I deleted the project by accident.

And ffs talking about this stuff helps!

2 Likes

I feel yaā€¦ death is ever closer

1 Like

Iā€™m just getting started on mine :sweat_smile:šŸ„²

2 Likes

There are a lot of Youtube tutorials on making specific genres.

I think 343 Labs in New York offers online classes in electronic music.

There are several really good personal tutors out there willing to help you with your music.

Yea. Itā€™s not the gear. Just when you think a certain style or genre of music canā€™t be made with [insert gear], someone says, ā€œwait, hold my beerā€¦ā€

Some of the best music was made on very limited gear - the stuff we have now would be magic gold in say, 1990 or 2000, hell 2010ā€¦

1 Like

Im passed mid life. Wait till youve got old age crisisšŸ˜‡

6 Likes

and all we do is make derivative 90s,00s10s music on itā€¦ :wink:

Yeah my situation is somewhere in between. The first piece of real gear I bought was the only thing I had for a while, and it was a whopper, the OG SPS-1. I was pretty comfortable being an in-the-box guy, had my workflow down, though I found mapped controller knobs confusing at times. Then I had to get MnM, and then a synth, then I upgraded those guys ā€¦ started a bit of a churn for years, though nothing crazy (no massive sales, just gradual evolution) before settling on what I Have which I think is going to be for the long haul. Really need to stop paying attention to gear I donā€™t have.

Originally I just wanted the rimshot from Motherā€™s Health :man_shrugging:

Thereā€™s some great advice in here, but I just wanted to say I heard the track you posted on facebook the other day and it was great! Just keeping doing what you were doing there and get your ideas out. Think less, do more!

3 Likes

Yeah share the link so we can give you some love and cakešŸ°

@Ahaas1138 Thank you! :content: Are we friends on FB??? Forgive me if I forgot your handle here

@sabana well Iā€™m not gonna turn down an opportunity to get some cake :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Sounds good, I would be happy with it if I produced it!

1 Like

:moon_cake::custard::cake::cupcake:

1 Like

I think the Force is a good starting point. I actually thought about getting it, but the way the display is implemented to me seems weird, should have been in a different angle somehow. And I did not like the displayā€™s touch sensivity, not even close to modern tablets. I would check out an MKII again.

Finally Iā€™ve found my answer! Loading the gear in the van to take to the dump now

1 Like