Bastl softPop

The SoftPop looks like it could be a nice noise companion for my Lyra-8, because it has some sequencing capability, though reviews warn that the pattern generator is not easy to use. I guess I could say the same about Volca Modular, which is also on my want list but a bit cheaper, but hey, gotta catch 'em all.

It could also be a nice companion for my MS-20 Mini, again because of pattern generation, and it might be fun to do a bit of cross-patching. I realize the Korg’s CV implementation is Hz/V, but for noise it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

i got one for sale that i’ll let go for 300usd :upside_down_face:

The pattern generator of the Softpop isn’t something that you can really control so to speak. It’s more like moving the fader up and down and hear what comes up. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing but i wouldn’t get the Softpop for its sequence capabilities. Though it might be a good partner for the MS-20 mini.

Yes, by companion to Lyra-8 or MS-20 Mini, I mean it can do more rhythmic noises, as the other two don’t have a dedicated pattern generator/sequencer included.

hats off though to those who can sequence acid house lines with Softpop.

PCA’s coupon code brings the price pretty close to $300, btw.

1 Like

ah gotcha.

It can be good for percussive sounds, but there is no vca. The percussive sounds all happen by the filter opening and closing.

Its a shame they put a speaker in it. That space could be better used for more features.
The speaker takes up so much realestate and delivers diaper output.
Wasted space.

Never understood the mini useless speaker.

Dont need the ability to jam on the bus without headphones, and hipster piss off other passengers.

Manual says headphones can be used. Won’t use the speaker on the train unless I mess up. Might mess around w/ feedback or something playing at home or on the gig.

I like Dr. K’s videos. I assume the good Dr. knows there’s a speaker on it. If he just now noticed and suddenly wants to dump it, maybe he’ll sell it to me for $30.

One can make repetitive sonic patterns without everything sounding like a drum.

1 Like

Thanks!
Just to be clear, combined with a little sequencer like the SQ-1 the Softpop can play all kinds of melodies. The acid line was done that way.

1 Like

I agree that the speaker in the Softpop isn’t needed but sometimes my kids grab it for a minute and have fun tweaking while carrying it around. Of course it sounds way better over real speakers.

2 Likes

Did you ever sell your SoftPop?

It is sometimes nice to hear your instrument interplay with your environment. Like playing music by a lake or stream for example. Maybe with birds, or a whipping wind.

Looks like a SoftPop 2 is coming out at some point in the future

7 Likes

semi modular:)

1 Like

Oh neat! I had v1 but while it had a cool sound, it was pretty narrow for the stuff I’m into. This sounds like it might have a broader palette.

1 Like
9 Likes

ooh looks pretty nice, been a while sense bastl has put anything out that caught my interest… looks like this one will be probably make more sense at the price range the last one was at.