Bass Traps

Anyone have a recommendation on some good bass traps (available in the US)? I usually order my acoustic treatment from GIK, but they have been really flaky lately and I need a few in a timely manner. I looked into making my own, but I live in a small town and the supplies are not available locally and I would have to order them online and it ends up costing the same if not more (my time not included). I spent the last few hours trying to find something decent and I swear to god I’m about to just buy some batts of fiberglass from the local lumber yard, not open them, and just stuff them in the corners lol.

That s what I did, but with rockwool :smile:

Honestly, this would probably work better than most DYI and store bought ones.

1 Like

Cheapest possible wood (fairly thin pieces) cost next to nothing, burlap is usually fairly cheap, about 8 nails per trap to hold each wood frame together should be cheap, then a big pack of Rockwool is probably the most expensive part at $65. If you don’t have a hammer, you’ll need that too. At the lumber store they’ll usually cut a few piece of wood for you. Ask for the pieces to be one inch longer than each side of the rockwool.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ROCKWOOL-Safe-n-Sound-3-in-x-15-1-4-in-x-47-in-Soundproofing-and-Fire-Resistant-Stone-Wool-Insulation-Batt-59-7-sqft-RXSS31525/202531875

Should come out under $100 for around 4-6 48"x16" traps assuming you can find a cheap hammer and don’t need a saw to cut the wood pieces. I guess a staple gun might be another costly element if you need that - it’s what i used to staple the burlap on.

Most of the guides online show people making pretty fancy designs. I did mine really rudimentary. Make the simple frame, place it atop a big piece of burlap, put the rockwood into the frame, and then wrap the burlap around the back and staple it to the wood to cover the batt. Done, and ready to hang or lean.

1 Like

(Short answer: absolutely works!)

1 Like