Bass synth

or you go for a Pulse 2, a bit hard (for me) but in terms of modulation beyond MiniTaur

Hard sync yes - There’s a quick ref in here for the front panel shortcuts:

1 Like

besides Behringer :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t really considered the Pulse 2 because it looks so ugly (sorry for that), but after watching this video i have to think about it and will check out more sound examples.

Thank you for the link! I was reading the full manual and there was only the 2.1 addendum.

It has some good sounds and i sampled it into the OT and will do it in the future, but it doesn’t offer “that” bass sound i’m after.

That’s why i considered the Model D. It sounds pretty good and has a lot to offer for the price, but i miss something in the low end (maybe i haven’t listened to right demo yet) and i don’t think it can compete with the Minitaur in terms of bass sounds.

In general: There are a lot of good synths but a lot of them lack that “special power” when it comes to bass sounds. I know i could do a lot with a additional sub oscillator, but i’m looking for a synth that can offer that powerful sound without help. The synth don’t need effects, a sequencer, a arpeggiator or other fancy stuff, but it must have that power. It’s hard to explain. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Moog, Dreadbox, and Studio Electronics are the power trio as far as raw oscillators go. I’ve got a M32 that tears through a mix with ease, it’s not quite as rich in the low end as the Minitaur though.

1 Like

If I were crazy enough to buy another monosynth I’d go for the Erebus. Has something special to it :slight_smile:
One last suggestion. The SH01a sounds really good and is perfect for basses imo

or wait for the new Behring Neutron

seems to be bargain and sounds quite good from what I’ve heard

I choosed monologue and dont regret it. Direct control, sequencer battery sub 200 second hand. With a bit of search you can manage a swap with your mininova, which is more powerful, but has lot menu diving, without involving money except postage… But mininova monologue would be a great pair of mini synth you have poly and effect on mininova, can use effect of the mini on mono out, and in the other way use the mono seq on mininova…i think that should be a great pair. Monologue as sync out for your po… It can take a midi clock in, then output corresponding tempo to your po. Via sync… Mono is a good synth to learn synthesis as one knob function…cannot ne beat for the price…

+1 for the monologue … it is beautifully simple and simply beautiful.
I was watching this on youtube and remembered this thread so here you go :

4 Likes

For me the most critical requirement for a bass synth is one that has the option to reset, or retrigger oscillator phase at every keystroke.
Prevents the annoying phasing occurring at each key pressed.
Mainly only found in digital hardware and software synths.
I generally don’t use analog for bass for this reason

I do like the Monologue, but an 0-coast cuts through a mix w/raw girth and belligerence, if you let it. 0-coast can be really thick and primal-sounding. It’s sometimes difficult to mix with my Monologue, as it really cuts through a broad range of frequencies. There’s an immediacy to it that reminds me of the moog buzz, though it doesn’t sound moog-ish. Here’s an example of it (0-coast) in the low frequency range:

The Boog Model D sounds pretty damn good, based on my impressions of it (imo, obv.)

Pulse 2 sounds really good in that video. The 0-coast ^recording I linked is a fairly direct room recording, using a Zoom H2n - not the best recording quality.

Don’t listen to all this yabba yabba…

… as mentioned before. The monologue IS the cheapest, bestest, bassiests solution of them all. You could even remove the keys (research first and think before you act)!

:smiley:

ooh and you can set your own scales and play microtuned intervals on it!

No. I’m talking about the model d

Minitaur can be set to reset both oscillators for each new keystroke. They call it note sync.

Anyhoo, as a Minitaur user, the only limitation I find is that it only goes to C5 (not a hiuge issue when used on its own) which annoys me since I now usually have it playing in unison with a Subsequent37 bass patch, and sometimes go above C5. Kind of ruins the vibe as it drops out.

2 Likes

Yep, I think 0coast has serious tight low end. I miss mine.

2 Likes

blech @ boog.

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate Audiothingies P6?

and a 303 clone for bass?

I was tempted by the Dominion Club but reports indicated that the firmware wasn’t 100% and the colour is hideous and I don’t like those buttons and primitive screen. MFB build quality is not their strong point either. I’m waiting for a few more months to see if they update it ( either in hardware or firmware). White or black would have looked so much nicer.

They really missed an opportunity by not giving it a proper 16 step x0x style sequencer!