Bass synth

Dear Elektronauts,

i’m looking for a new synth and need some recommendations. Here are some specs i’m looking for:

• preferably analog
  • mainly for rich bass sounds
  • preferably under 500 Euros
  • desktop format, no keys
  • midi support

I really like the sound of the Moog Minitaur. I also have an eye on the Behringer Model D, which seems to be the best solution in terms of function vs price, but i’m not sure if it can compete with the Minitaur in the bass region.

Any other recommendations? Thank you!

1 Like

You should also check out the Dreadbox Erebus and Nyx.

Roland SE-02 is another good option, 3 osc goodness. Sounds very fat. I hate the interface though, that thing is tiny.

If I were to pick one I’d probably go for the Boog D. Those who got it are very impressed from what I’m reading. Minitar sounds very nice but it’s very limited for it’s price.

toriaz as-1 pretty good…

does more than just bass

2 Likes

The AS-1 is really nice for bass as well as for other stuff.

1 Like

I know, no keys, but maybe the Korg Monologue flew under your radar. Not sure about current prices, but a while ago you could get them for €260,- and I feel as a package it’s hard to beat at that price. Out of curiosity: what synths do you use currently?

2 Likes

Allthough it’s not analog i would always give a string recommendation for the Blofeld. It has a very distinct sound and is absolutely capable of producing great bass sounds (and you have the additional felxibility of being able to use it for loads of other things as well). Just be aware that it will come with the typical Waldorf sound, which you can eihter like or not…

On the analog side there are Vermona Mono Lancet and the Doepfer Dark Energy which have not been mentioned yet.

I recommend the 0-coast. I think it’s low end is really powerful.
Dreadbox stuff also looks and sounds great.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the recommendations so far, i’m currently listen to a lot sound demos.

I own a Mininova. The Mininova is nice, but it lacks character and sounds very digital to me. I also own some POs (sub,robot,office,tonic) if these are considered as synths. I also own the Octatrack MK2. I’m able to do sounds for melodic/lead stuff, but find it very difficult to create bass sounds which i like.

I don’t know what your level of expertise is and what kind of sounds you’re looking for. It’s just that - and I hope not to come across as condescending here - the fact that you’re not getting the sounds you’re shooting for may not be due to lack of the right synth. Of course if you know the ins and outs of subtractive synthesis, my point is moot. If I were you I’d try to understand the limitations of the hardware you have with regards to what you’re trying to achieve to take an educated decision. If you’re unsure about the effect amp/env/filter settings have on your sound, I’d try to close those gaps first.

Mfb dominion club - so juicy, so tight, so right.

5 Likes

No, your post is not condescending in any way. It is a good point and i was asking this myself. I will do another deep dive into the Mininova, maybe it’s not the synth but my lazyness…maybe a bit of both, because it is terrible to program the Mininova on the unit but i don’t like to use the computer.

Often I really like the bass sounds I can create out of single cycle waves on the OT or DT. Sure, not a moog, but often very usable.

2 Likes

Some serious bass from OT filter with SCWF

Another Monologue vote, here.

Drop the VCO2 a couple octaves to make a sub OSC, add a touch of drive, a little PWM, and you’re rolling.

Monologue can also double as an excellent DAW controller. Yea, it has the keys you don’t want, but the footprint isn’t much larger than an Elektron. And the sequencer is inspiring.

3 Likes

Yes yes! Love my dominion club for bass duties

1 Like

Yeah it has the two sub osc plus XOR and sync and that third digi osc provides so many cool flavours to any bass recipe. For such a small box I also find it surprisingly tweakable - the controls are either immediate or just a shift press - maybe mfbs best ever small footprint UI - cos let’s face it, they’re usually a nightmare.

I’ve been eyeballing a Minitaur for about a year now. I finally picked one up the other day. I think it’s going to be a great match with my Elektron boxes (AR2, A4, MD). Seems like it matches your criteria perfectly.

Good recommendation. Sounds good and i like the fact that everything is accessable from the hardware interface and also midi controllable.

Yeah, the sound is definitely right.

Yeah but the MFB isn’t gonna sound like the Moog so this is where your own taste is more important than specs.

The Minitaur is giving you a classic sound straight from the front panel controls with zero effort but be aware that all the OS upgrade V2 features etc involve finger twisting gymnastics of the highest order. But if it’s THAT sound you want then it’s an easy decision for the Moog.

1 Like

You’re right. I currently compare the both, or at least listen to as much sound demos as i can. The Minitaur has “that round” sound. So far the Minitaur is definitely on top of my list. Should be no problem to thin out the sound with a high pass filter if i need to, the Minitaur can produce enough overtones.

Not really a problem. I’m reading the manual but cannot find it, do you know if it is possible to activate Hard Sync and maybe other V2 features via those “finger twisting gymnastics”?