Basics of operation, use cases

I thought maybe an idea was to have a thread about basics/essensials of set up/running of overbridge and also spesific use cases (multiple devices, certain daws, say). In my mind «why wont OB work with WIN 7?» is unspesific and «how do I set up x device in WIN to act as interface» is spesific.

My first try with OB and AH today left me with the following:

Is simply adding AH plug to an audio track the intended way…or FX track/send track and record that? How can i then hear only wet signal? Is the audio track the effected track and then you send it and record the send? If you know, my spesifics are Studio one latest, WIN 10, 64bit. I got midi working i/o but no audio transmission - use might be absolutely obvious, but with no audio it was hard to judge wether user error or problem.

Also, clicking OB engine gives error «unable to write to log, is engine already in use?» Is this small or big - is OB engine something to use for routing, in tandem with control panel or is it a background app?

Best to all.

1 Like

2nd go with OB is DT. Sound out only when selected as interface (might apply also to the above AH experience). In set up example as in dave mechs videoes, Studio One will only record stereo tracks. Setting tracks to mono cancels audio. There are, I suppose, may possible user errors.

So questions: OB working alongside other interface (spesific, antelope audio discrete 4)?
Whats this stereo only malarky?

Tried OB and DT with laptop win 10 no interface seemed to work very smoothly and as intended.

Basic use: does 6 in manual (audio interface) imply that individual tracking is only available when DT (or x device) is interface?

No audio will come from the vst as well as sync. The trick is the vst will default to sending the main out as the audio path you hear or “monitor” to add more sources like the individual tracks. You need to route an audio track to those paths. How this works depends on the DAW. The example given in the manual is ableton live. When creating a blank audio track you can set its input source. From that drop down you should see any soundcard you have as well as the vst if you’ve added it to your project. Then the following dropdown where you select your port will have a list of the various output pairs (bd, sd, ch, etc.) selecting this will record the audio stream from the other audio ports of the vst to this new audio track. If you’re not routing audio to the main outs you’ll want to select monitor on for each of these tracks.

Hmmm, i feel like an old dude that cant figure the packaging. At this point i will add that, though im not an engineer, it is clear to me that OB is a marvel of engineering and design.

Thank you for replying. In my succesful try i added the DT to a midi track and then clicked the inputs from the drop down. It was then easy to add audio tracks and then set up routing. This was on an «old» laptop with same software. On my workmachine which is optimised and well spec’ed however, above scenario. I will try to read my way into S1 related to your description (relieved i wont have to switch interface and monitor cables to track/monitor).

Try 3 DT. Sound!

When adding mono track - the inputs no show on drop down menu (pic 1)
When adding stereo track input shows, but then the record/monitor buttons become inaccessible (and theres no sound on stereo audio track) (pic 2/3).

Also DT sound only when zero latency monitoring is checked. Also zero latency icon only appears if I start the DT standalone vst alongside S1 (!) (it stays after i quit standalone).
Also - until I set S1 to 64bit double precision, audio sounded a full step ahead of the DT sequencer. A trigger on 5 would sound on 4 etc.

Im really hoping for some resolve, this is truly the greatest thing. Nerdy perhaps, but it was just lovely seeing the eight tracks play with DT normalized sounds and seeing the master peak at a perfect mix level.

VST audio routing in Live:

2 Likes

Yeah…see Im thinking Im doing the corresponding things in S1…but maybe not…Ill try and study the DaveMech video again too…

I see now that Dave records each track stereo actually…

Edit: or obviously its not, but you get what i mean…

Try 4 DT, Studio One 4, Antelope Discrete 4.

Same oddness persists, routing from DT to audio track yields audio track with greyed out monitor/record buttons.

Test: set up bus for each input, route each bus to separate audio track. Audio tracks showing monitorable input and are recording enabled. Recording, however, simply results in blank files.

Test: multitrack recording from standalone works smoothly and as intended.

Is there a thing with DT and 48000hz? I was running at 88200hz and changing seemed to improve stability.

48kHz is the native rate used by the DT internally and which gets transmitted through the USB cable. Using a different sample rate in the DAW requires some additional upsampling/downsampling (done by the VST? driver? DAW?) which adds to the processing costs.

1 Like

Yeah, i went to the manual and was meaning to write an edit - thanks though! May i ask, youre not seeing any obvious mistakes in those pictures that i posted do you? I cant find any explanation as to the greyed out REC/monitor buttons…

Could it be…the standalone default REC folder…well, one thing to check…

SOLVED! Set Drop out protection to medium in Studio One and it works, as far as I can tell, perfectly and as intended.

So this specific use case was indeed related to DAW, with high drop out protection related to recording ability.

If anybody can explain why thats a great bonus - if not, I tried to very tidy with this use case/set up scenario and I hope it might be useful to someone else.

1 Like