Basic iOS production questions

Hello all,

A few basic questions regarding producing on an iPad to ask;

At the beginning of lockdown I was forced out the box due to my partner using my laptop for working from home - it’s been great - but she’s now working from home until the end of the year, and I’m craving some DAW action.

I’ve been using ableton since 2008, so I’m looking for something as close to that as I can find in the iPad domain, Drambo looked too ‘modular’ for my simple mind to understand, is Cubasis 2 what I am looking for?

Second to that, are samples handled the same on iPads? (I’ll be getting a 2020 iPad Pro) Also, how are plugins handled in this domain, or are they just not? (I mean instruments as well as effects, utilities etc)

EDIT: furthermore, how much decrease in functionality can I expect compared to using ableton on a computer, with third party vsts running, multiple instances of convolution reverbs, sends, lfos hooked up to delay times etc.

I’ve tried looking through past topics and the capabilities of the iPad now look as if they far surpass what I want, and thus, it’s all foreign language to me.

Thanks!

1 Like

Beatmaker 3 or Roland’s Zenbeats are closest. I prefer BM3, but it doesn’t get updated very often, and has some quirks.

Second to that, are samples handled the same on iPads? (I’ll be getting a 2020 iPad Pro) Also, how are plugins handled in this domain, or are they just not? (I mean instruments as well as effects, utilities etc)

You’ll have to organize samples yourself, although the AudioShare app can help. One note: when you create a copy of a sample in another folder, it doesn’t create a copy. It’s more of an “alias” in Mac terms, and points to the original file. So, don’t worry about filling up your storage like this.

Plugins are the treasure of ios. There are a zillion amazing AUv3 plugins, all of which are really really cheap.

EDIT: furthermore, how much decrease in functionality can I expect compared to using ableton on a computer, with third party vsts running, multiple instances of convolution reverbs, sends, lfos hooked up to delay times etc.

If you come looking for Ableton on iOS, you’re in for frustration and disappointment. Better to try things out, and see how you can work with the tools available. The iPad is very capable for music, but it’s approach is very different. Be prepared to change the way you work.

3 Likes

Thats everything answered above but ill second zenbeats. Bm3 also great for working with samples though I just use zenbeats and the segments app now.

The apps are amazing for the cost on ios. I’ve always made loops and song parts on my ioad then brought them into ableton or used in hardware sampler but recently I’ve been looking at eqs, compressors, reverbs etc for mixing and there’s a lot of quality out there. Desktop quality apps, so now working on finishing tracks on ipad.

Also I’ve been using my opz to sequence apps through aum and mix with the opz sounds back into aum to record and mix down. Did similar with my digitakt

Ipad is honestlt a great piece of kit to use as a groovebox, content creator, hardware sequencer or create entire tracks on

1 Like

any good ios mastering plugins in the vein of isotope ozone?

I like Korg Gadget for my iOS DAW needs, because I can export to an Ableton Live session format. I have also tried Cubasis and it’s really good too, and so is Auria.

Not sure if any match how ozone can automatically mix and master but apps from fab filter and tone boosters certainly provide a lot of control over the mix and sound great

1 Like

Another shout for Gadget here. I’ve sketched out a number of nice tracks starting in gadget and finishing in ableton. You can export midi and audio per track, and there’s automation on all synth params. I’ve never tried doing a final mix on iPad, has anyone done this successfully?

I’ve been using Korg Gadget on my phone whilst I’ve been away at work for the past 3-4 years I think (?). I’ve exported a lot of tracks out of ableton and also used the useful ribbon controllers to export midi to other devices, I’ll be downloading it from my account to my iPad as soon as I get it but there’s some things on there I really had, automation being the main one - however, I may be enlightened on the bigger screen

1 Like

Thanks for your detailed answers I’ll have a look at those, last time I was on an iPad I think cross app integration was a thing for tomorrow’s world but having read briefly about it this afternoon the Au3 stuff seems like a breeze now

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty annoying that it keeps the last value rather than snapping back like a parameter lock. I can get over that too mostly by just adding a value at the start of the next clip, but it’s an extra step.

On the plus side all the midi CC are displayed when you are in the function view, so if you have an elektron box with a midi sequencer it’s a lot of fun to just use gadget as an auxiliary bank of synth engines you can parameter lock.

1 Like

An alternative approach you might like to experiment with is the kind of “live jam with AUv3 plugins” approach that apps like AUM encourage. It depends on what kind of music you want to make really, if it’s something where you want to do a lot of detailed work on a timeline etc. it probably isn’t ideal, if it’s more techno jams for example you might enjoy it.

The cool thing about this workflow is it feels quite natural on, and unique to, the iPad; and you can make use of some of the great “MIDI generator” AUv3 plugins. I often just have a little 20 minute jam on the sofa. The downside is you can’t really arrange anything properly… I’m not sure if there is a way to record multitrack stems out of AUM as you jam or not, I’ve never tried, but that could be an option in terms of generating stems that you later edit in a more conventional app like Cubasis or whatever (personally, I don’t find these kinds of traditional DAWs great on the iPad, I think they benefit from a mouse and large screen really).

Anyway, I recorded a quick demo of how to use it for someone a while back so thought I’d share it as a quick intro to what I am on about!

5 Likes

For stems I think you can arm multiple tracks and they record as audio into a folder with track names

2 Likes

I also wrote up a bunch of my favourite plugins in the context of that video, might as well share that too, it was a message to someone in case it reads a bit weirdly lol. Put it in the hidden block below as it’s long and I don’t want to ruin the thread readability!

My plug-in recommendations

Hosts

AUM - already talked about this, it’s the best way to jam with plugins on iOS. Some things could be improved (e.g. I think you could easily fit more on one screen) but it’s great overall.

ApeMatrix - this kind of does the same as AUM but with a strange “matrix” mixer layout. It’s a bit weird but kind of cool once you wrap your head round it, you can do send/return more easily for example. Has a few other tricks like LFO for any parameter of any plugin. Less stable than AUM and definitely not essential but may be interesting if you get into this way of working.

MIDI Sequencers

Rozeta Suite - I think this is pretty essential for working with AUM. You get 8 or so different sequencers ranging from “staple” ones like x0x and Bassline to weird fun ones like a “particle collider simulator” that triggers notes, plus an arp and MIDI LFO.

Fugue Machine - this is the one with the multiple playheads in my video, I think it’s a really elegant implementation of a great idea and is great for taking a simple sequence and making it more interesting, creating evolving arpeggios etc.

Atom Piano Roll - if you need the ability to just program notes into a normal piano roll and then send them to another app, this is the best one I’ve found. Very similar to e.g. Ableton’s piano roll.

Synths/Effects

I generally only buy synths and effects on iOS these days which have an Audio Unit plugin (sometimes you’ll see it referred to as AUv3 on the App Store).

AUM can load synths which don’t have an AUv3 (e.g. Nave - really wish that was Audio Unit as I love it) using something called Inter-App Audio, but you can’t view them in a floating window, it can’t save the state of the synth in your session, and you can only have one instance of the synth – so I find it usually more hassle than it’s worth and go for one which integrates better.

I’ve got quite a lot of iOS synths and effects so I’ll try to pick the ones which I use most or are most interesting, but if there are any specific types you are interested in or whatever I can share more!

Synths

Arturia iSEM - lush analogue emulation that I always enjoy playing with

Audiokit Digital D1 - really nice for pads, based on 80s stuff like the Wavestation I think

Beepstreet Zeeon - another analog synth, I just like the way this one is laid out and sounds, it’s often the one I default to. Same dev also has one called Sunrizer which is a JP8000 emulation if you ever need some 90s vibes :slight_smile:

Spacecraft - as I mentioned, lush weird granular thing. I think you’d like this.

Burns Audio Modal/Resonator/Spectrum - these are AUv3 versions of some of the Mutable Instruments modules. Not beautiful to look at but quite interesting sounds and they’re free!

Moog Model D - simple but sounds so phat! Moog Model 15 is quite cool sounding too though I find dealing with patch cables on an iPad no fun.

iVCS3 - this is an EMS synthi emulation. I have no idea what I’m doing with it but it makes some crazy sounds. Thought you might be interested as it’s such a legendary synth in the experimental world. You can also use parts of it as AUv3 effects on their own which is cool.

Numerical Audio Shockwave - this one’s pretty new. Some kind of crazy FM/PD synthesis. Not dived in too deep but sounds pretty wild.

Drums

This is the one area where I’ve not found that many great AUv3 apps. I’d love something like Machinedrum style but most of the apps out there either don’t sound amazing to my ears or don’t support AUv3.

JimAudio Pure Acid - this is the 303/808/909 one in my video, sounds great if you just want those classic sounds, TBH I use it for most of my drums these days even though I’m not a total x0x obsessive! It’s really fun to use (also fun standalone), sounds great, has its own sequencer and effects, and you can even use it with “multiple outputs” in AUM if you want to apply different processing to different parts.

EG Pulse - I’ve not used this a great deal but seems like a decent drum sampler if you’re into that kind of thing. A bit like Pure Acid, it has its own sequencer and supports multiple outputs. Cos I’m too lazy to curate a sample collection I usually just go for Pure Acid lol.

Bram Bos Ruismaker/Ruismaker FM - I used to use these for drums, they’re pretty fun though I never loved the sound of either. Can get some quite interesting sounds out of them though and I think they’re quite cheap. All this guy’s apps are good, take a look at his stuff on the App Store.

Effects

AudioDamage stuff - all the AudioDamage stuff is great, I actually think I have everything they’ve done and it all sounds excellent and most of it is well designed for iPad. Dubstation is the delay I usually go for but it’s worth looking them up on the App Store and see if anything else takes your fancy as they have loads of effects and it’s all really good, e.g. their Eos reverb is nice.

Eventide Blackhole - my favourite reverb. Eventide have ported quite a few things to iOS now, MangledVerb is also quite cool.

FAC Maxima - I use this if I need a compressor/limiter. I find it hard to get excited about those but sometimes you need one and this does the job lol. All this devs apps have a rep for being really solid.

AAS Objeq - this is quite a cool resonator type thing. Don’t really know how to describe it but it’s a fun effect.

RX950 - this emulates the old Akai sampler AD converters and I find it’s a nice way to add some subtle lo-fi crunch.

Other fun stuff

Drambo - talked about this already, worth noting it works as an an AUv3 so you can build your own synths or effects in it and mix them with others in AUM. Not tried this yet but sounds powerful!

Samplr - this one isn’t AUv3 but I had to mention it as it’s one of my fave apps regardless, you might have already seen it as it’s been around for years.

1 Like

Nice! I thought that might be the case

This is a great video! Do you have a youtube link so i could save it as a resource?

1 Like

It’s not on YouTube right but now but great idea, I’ll upload it later and send you the link on here :slight_smile:

Love the vid

Been playing around in AUM for the last few days using launchpad pro mk3 to sequence 4 channels then sync some of the Rozetta suite sequencers to layer other synths on top. Lots of fun.

1 Like

For the price of an iPad Pro (it sounded like you haven’t bought it yet), you could go for a cheap netbook and save money, or get a second hand MacBook of some kind. Then you don’t have to change a thing. And if the new laptop is a little underpowered, work more efficiently, freeze tracks often, and see what you can do in a more minimal fashion. Anyway, just a thought seeing as Ableton or an equivalent doesn’t exist (and probably won’t) on iOS.

Yeah not bad advice, if you’re approaching iOS expecting to find something like Ableton you’ll be disappointed as the software isn’t really there, the interface is not ideal for those kinds of programs, and still sharing between apps etc is clunkier than on a computer.

If you’re open to new ways of working though, you might find it fun. One option could be a basic iPad (which is plenty powerful, just small screen) and a cheap laptop (or even desktop) to get the best of both worlds! You can then treat the iPad like an external synth when you work with the computer and therefore reduce your CPU footprint potentially etc, and you have the iPad for jamming on if you’re not feeling the computer that day or you’re on the go or whatever.

1 Like

I’m pretty heavily invested in iOS. Its all I use anymore really with some hardware.
One of the things that is overlooked is that you really get no benefit from an ipad pro over an ipad air.
Audio and all really need to run on the same thread. The main thread on core 1. This is for timing. Pretty much no audio apps use extra cores.

My ipad mini 5 performs pretty much exactly the same as my ipad pro.
Only + on the pro is usbC over lightning, but it really has been a non issue for me.
Drawback on the pro…no headphone jack. It makes a bigger difference than you think.

You’re better off getting a new Axx chip every year than investing in a pro and keeping it for a few years.

There is an extensive thread over on audiob.us about it.

1 Like