B Stock being sold as NEW. How can you tell?

Ive bought a few high end products recently as new. Mostly Nord Stage 3 and Rolands. But i’m beginning to wonder if i’m getting B stock sometimes. No dings or scrapes. But a few small details. Like missing protective scratch screen covers(small detail but shouldn’t they have them on high end products?). Manuals were opened the bag they came in wasn’t sealed. And dont get me started on the boxes they came in(outer transit boxes). Really ripped and full of holes. Is there any way to know for sure or are you at the mercy of the dealer?
Cheers.

1 Like

Did you ask? Where I order from I am pretty sure that they label b-stock and don´t try to sell gear that was returned or displayed in the shop as new. With the habit of “testing” gear and returning it the shops have to deal with a new problem these days.

1 Like

Maybe of little help but I only buy gear from shops that display a good level of stock. Usually Juno or Andertons in the uk.

1 Like

No. I assume they are new as they have a few maybe 2 in stock(sometimes just one) being quite expensive.

I bought with 1 or 2 in stock Is this high risk?

Personally I wouldn’t risk it.

I’ve used most of the gear shops in England. This is only recently its giving me doubts.

I’ve received stuff in “suspicious” condition, including box-seals unsealed, that could very well be legitimate–even desired–store inspections. Happily, it’s never turned out to be an issue. I imagine, though, merchants have the right to sell returned goods as new within the restrictions of local consumer laws. Assuming they do honest business, telling them directly before purchase would be the thing to do, but who ever remembers to do that.

I suppose one question to ask yourself is ‘if I can’t tell, does it matter?’

11 Likes

3 times I noticed I had been sent some B-stock item.
I believe it’s standard practice, because they were 3 different sellers.

On Teenage Engineering products, it’s very easy to see if the product has been opened already, though.
I voiced my anger and asked either to be refunded partially (B-stock are usually 10% cheaper) or to send the device back.

Each time I was asked to send the devices back, and the seller apologized like this was an innocent mistake.
If you have suspicions (and what you’re talking about is indeed suspicious), you should IMO contact the seller.

Online sellers optimize their margins because they don’t have shops. The other side of the coin is that they have to deal with returned items.
I believe that enough people don’t notice or accept to get B-stock instead of brand new, because the difference is minimal. Which may induce sellers to try to push their returned items as new. I wonder if they do the same with equipment reported as slightly dysfunctional.

But I just can’t accept it, I’m way too picky when I get new equipment.

3 Likes

I had this 3 times in a row with Bax shop, The Netherlands. Products were obviously used but selled as ‘new’. After contacting their terrible helpdesk(takes days when they reply) you always get the same answer, ‘a mistake’. I always make photos when a package arrives. I pay for a new product so when they send me a ‘b-stock’ I always return it.

3 Likes

If it smells like cat pee then that means it’s either b-stock or Uli’s gotten into the warehouse again.

2 Likes

Can’t help being suspicious of any shop not advertising B-stock these days

2 Likes

I’ve had it with Dawsons (Digitakt - seal broken) and Gear4Music. I left reviews accordingly for both companies after contacting each. All it needs to say in a listing is ‘package opened’ if it’s a return, or ‘ex display’/‘B Stock’ if it’s been used. Then it’s up to the consumer to decide.

I don’t want a broken seal if I pay new though.

3 Likes

I bought a bstock deepmind 12 off reverb for $550. I have had it for two years and still cannot tell you what is bstock about it.

Made by Behringer

So you did know you bought a b-stock?

One other small detail i noticed is is it normal the dials and sliders aren’t all reset. As if its been tested?

1 Like

Whenever I order something new (other than something like a guitar), I always mention that I want it in a factory sealed box.

3 Likes

Same. And I’ll call before even going to a local store to make sure what they have in stock is unopened

1 Like