Avalon Bassline...worth it?/ Opinion

no clue!
meta property=“article:published_time” content=“2020-07-11T08:20:24+00:00” />
meta property=“article:modified_time” content=“2021-06-15T01:12:15+00:00” />

May still be this year, I don’t see modifications in archive.org from last year.

I sent ‘em an email. We’ll see if they get back to me. Would be nice to grab one, though.

I think it was this year , there’s a thread on gearspace / modwigger

It’s a good acid box but for the money I’d go with another synth ( I used to have an Avalon with sem filter )

I wonder about the acidlab bassline 3

1 Like

It’s current. It was supposed to be spring, but looks like they moved it to summer.

I confirm that. You got one last chance to get one.

There’s one final run that’ll go up for sale (basically pre-order) supposedly sometime this month, however they won’t ship for at least six months if not more. Six months is really wishful thinking. Not everyone has even gotten their orders from the last run and that occurred basically a year ago I believe (could be wrong on the timing though). I would be prepared to wait at least year if not more after ordering and don’t expect any updates during that time. Brian is a one man shop, notorious for delays and poor (practically non-existent) communication, so know what you’re signing up for ahead of time.

I plan to order a 2nd one to hold on to long term. It’s a beautiful machine especially with the additional SEM filter if you can get ahold of one as well.

1 Like

I think it’s totally worth it, the extra modulation options, filter carts and the 16 step sequencer take it places no other acid box goes. But yeah you have to accept some caveats. It’s probably best to know an experienced synth builder in case of issues! It’s always going to be a cult classic and you will (more than) make your money back if you decide to sell at any point

Fantastic for angry acid sounds, heard loads of good stuff about it.

2 Likes

Without doubt the best 303. Get it if you can.

2 Likes

Hello big seniors.

I’m an ignorant beginner who doesn’t usually use any acid machine, but I’m considering buying it because it seems to be the last chance to get Avalon Bassline that I’ve been attracted to for a long time.

Now I have one thing I would like to know, so please let me know.

What is the Avalon sequencer other than the 303 method (I tested it on TD-3 but it was totally out of control)?

I’d like to fine-tune the phrase I made by chance later, but the 303 method isn’t suitable for doing that. Randomness is great, but it doesn’t even allow me to hear what I’m typing in real time. Maybe that’s rather loved, but if Avalon is the same, I have to give up buying.

It’s a much better sequencer

Each step can be selected visibly ( 16 red leds are also buttons)
You can slide notes left / right
Set start and end point I think
Setslide lengths , trigger envelope mod per step

Basically it’s more modern , not a basic tb303 ye olde style sequencer

But you could probably buy digitakt and 2x mo’s for similar price , less wait. Just sequence the mo with digitakt and use it to add fx / sample off riffs , ability to name / store patterns .

And if you are heading in that price range maybe grab a pro 3 or moog 37 thing.

1 Like

Thank you!

I was also thinking about mo. As long as the sequencer is flexible …
Of course, the 303-style sequencer should have its own advantages, but it doesn’t suit me.

I still have an OT that is learning, so maybe I can have the same control as digitakt, right?

But I really don’t like the cables cluttering the table, so
I’m looking for a complete acid machine with excellent sequencing capabilities.
So far my favorite sequencer is the Tracker, but I’m also looking at the T-1.

The story has gone astray. Apparently, Avalon doesn’t have a sequencer that allows me to listen to the pitch in real time and edit it in detail.

From memory you can run the sequencer and edit the steps at the same time

As it’s running you hold the red led and alter the note / accent / slide etc … or record it live
Download the manual and search YouTube , you should find a lot of info.

There’s also an arp that can override the seq or be recorded

1 Like

Thank you!

Well, if I could change the pitch of only one step while running sequencer, I may have a chance to use it.

After all, I would like to use unique slides and accents on one acid machine.

I searched web and arrived here first, but as you said, I should check the manual :slightly_smiling_face:

The sequencer is very versatile. You can do all the things @re5et said.
My go to method on Avalon is to start with a random sequence, add more random slides, rests and even pattern length. Then fit that sound in with drums and make any intentional tweaks to pitch or any other parameter per step.
Don’t forget the extra modulation envelopes (can trigger per step) and filter carts when deciding to buy or not - those really allow you to take the sound way beyond any other 303.

1 Like

Thank you :grinning:

I’m not good at English, so I can only collect information little by little, but it seems that the sequencer can do a lot more than the authentic TB style, which is difficult to me. And your method is exactly what I wish.

I’m interested in additional modulation envelope, but I couldn’t find it in the abstract instruments shop. Where is it?

I’m also interested in filter cartridges, but they’re probably the type of filters I’ve never used.I like the fat, dark filters on the MS-20 and the electrical, dirty ones on the WASP, but do you know which of the three cartridges is closer to them? :thinking:

This video forever changed me on the Avalon. I became obsessed with it after I saw it and completely went down the rabbit hole and had to track one down. Admittedly, I wasn’t a huge 303 fan prior to this (still not in the traditional sense) and had completely ignored the Avalon even though I knew about it. Was particularly the sequencer that drew me too it (aside from the sound) since it’s not the traditional 303 style.

He did an updated video as well:

Apologies if these were linked previously in the thread (they probably were) or if you’ve seen them.

My favorite filter is the SEM and I’d highly suggest ordering one now as they’re back in stock again (for the last time – 47 left as of now) if you plan on getting an Avalon. They can be very difficult to get otherwise since most people won’t want to sell them separately from the synth and shops no longer stock them. I’m going to get the new 2044 filter myself, then I’ll have the complete set, but the SEM is the one I use the most by far.

4 Likes

Can I ask where you have seen them for sale because not showing on abstrakt website ?

1 Like

The filters? They’re on the Abstrakt Instruments website. The SEM, R:OTA and 2044 all went up for sale this past week.

I have an automated page monitor setup that detects any changes on the /shop page, so I’m alerted and emailed as to any changes. I want to order a 2nd Avalon as soon as the pre-order goes up for sale. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Sorry I misread the post, so 47 filters left but no Avalon’s yet :+1:

1 Like