Autoplay recorder buffer?

Is it possible to playback a freshly recorded sample automatically as soon as the recording is finished? I am talking about non grid, unrhythmic, more drone like stuff. So I would capture audio with ‘hold’ to create samples that have unprepared duration/steps. So far I am only able to manually trigger the new recording when hitting the trig button, but it would be dope if that playback could happen automatically…
Possible? Pickup Machine solutions are not for me btw :wink:

Thanks!

It’s been discussed before and I have worked out semi satisfactory workarounds a couple of times. I used to have an old phrase sampler with this function and miss it.

The answer is pretty much no. Don’t have time to find threads or give details right now, but I believe the thread referenced steve reich / but wasn’t the one from earlier today…:

Will look again when I get a chance

i understand what you are aspiring to achieve - afaicr when i wanted to use the buffers in a similar manner i had to resort to ‘outsourcing’ the automation to external midi messages that were lined up to do just that - so the midi message string which set the end of the record period also contained the required play message - easy with PD/Max/similar but not convenient compared to being able to do so on the device- you can only get so far by doing your best with quick fingers e.g. Track[hold]+Play e.g. when the sequencer is off

1 Like

Thanks for your answers, guys!
Yeah, quick fingers seems to be the solution here, haha! Once again I feel like the OT is anti-intuitive when I compare it to my Make Noise Morphagene for instance.

1 Like

Here’s that discussion I was thinking of

1 Like

@darenager writing :wink:
I could record with HOLD with direct play with play free midi tracks, midi loopback.
I don’t remember if I used a midi processor but it is definitely possible.

1 Like

I guess it really depends if you have mkI or mkII, on mkII pickup machines tend to be a bit easier to use thanks to the panel labels and extra buttons, I could not be bothered with them on mkI as they were added after the machine was designed and felt a bit hit and miss, on mkII I use them occasionally for the type of usage you describe.

So if you have a mkII a few hours just playing around with them might be worthwhile?

Another option (untested)

Place a oneshot trig on step 1, make track length 1 step long, use hold for rec trig type, set playback to loop, and set inf hold and release on envelope. As soon as you captured a tasty sample hit yes to start oneshot playing.

Whilst perhaps not exactly instant it should allow the sample to play indefinitely until stop or track and stop are pressed.

3 Likes

MkI user here. Pickup machines don’t work for me cause they don’t work in slave mode with varying tempos. But thanks for the suggestion.

As I wrote above, I did it successfully, with different lengths (Hold, midi loopback, quantized to 1 step or more)

1 Like

Confirmed, I’ve one of my tracks set up this way in my template project. Very interesting for live performances!