Autechre MD+MnM sysex files! [+ MPC, Nord]

I’ve just built virtual video-synth in recent months and by the looks and sound of this, it seems to use similar principle. Basically, if you convert video data to arrays of RGB values, you can make wavetable out of it and interpret it in different ways too (like using HSL instead of RGB or converting to CMYK even). I’ve done some tricks to make more kinds of sounds out of this, not just harmonic noise.

So it sounds like a typical wavetable generated from video, but the way it looks may suggest that they might used depth camera (Kinect probably) instead or they just manipulated 2D to look like this (like extreme bump mapping with indirect color projection to distorted 3D plane). But that’s just a guess.

Here’s few examples how my prototype worked:

Can someone with a monomachine please explain what’s going on to create those elasticy sounds in this vid? https://youtu.be/UiFWYtgRBHk?t=552
(9:12)

The sound is produced by two MachineDrum UW RAM machines.

Earlier in the pattern, most of the work is being done by the R1/P1 machine. Two LFOs (tracks 15 and 16) control P1’s RTRG and STRT parameters. This accounts for the “elasticy” and “zippery” sounds.

A few loops later, R2/P2 is enabled and records more internal noises. This is the more filtery sampled-sound; track 16’s LFO now controls P2’s lowpass cutoff filter (FLTW).

This may make no sense if you don’t have a MD, but there’s the explanation, anyway!

Hello gyus,

So we had something about a month with AE sysex files. I listen to them now and then and the music is beautiful, but Let’s talk technicalities. I am wandering what have you learned about using MNM and MD from them?

For me the main paradigm shift was with arranging songs in multiple patterns (though perfectionists inside me HATES when song doesn’t start on 1, 4, 9, or 13). In terms of synthesis Dpro wave morning and hold LFOs on everything.

What was your discovery?

If anyone is interested in playing around with these patterns in a regular DAW I’ve made a tool that extracts the pattern data from the MachineDrum sysex dumps, resulting in 128 patterns contained in separate .mid files. Of course, the MIDI representation loses a lot of data like all modulation for instance, but it can nonetheless be fun to play around with the raw sequences. Anyways, the tool along with the MIDI files are available to download over at github: https://github.com/carrierdown/elektron-sysex-to-midi

how cool is that!
great job @carrierdown

Hi,

I worked on a replication of the Ae Echoplex live. Using MD, MM and MPC1K - no Nord G2 part, but others have gotten in touch and are working on it.

You can listen to it here: https://www.mixcloud.com/iostream/

I’ve been listening to your recreation for a wee while now since it was mentioned on WATMM and I really enjoy it. Good effort!!!

As an aside, I finally got around to loading the MNM sysex in the last few days and it’s fascinating to examine the patterns and individual tracks in isolation. What stood out for me is how simple it is at times. You just play a few notes and it’s bizarre how simplistic it sounds… but then you look at the sequencing data and sound programming and it’s still noteworthy that it isn’t some absolutely cacophony of trigs and LFOs going bananas. Often having just a few components cleverly layered with one part being more complex is enough to give the overall impression of huge complexity that is more readily understood. Or they have trigs in unexpected places or layering ENS machines with other machines that end up creating quite odd chords that my limited understanding of theory doesn’t quite get.

So, hugely inspiring for doing more with less… I’m going to try to learn from that.

They create variations of pitch sequences on the Monomachine by employing a very slow arp (x96):
If you set the speed to x96, type to RND, and plot, say, three notes on a single trig, the arpeggiator uses these notes as an “array.” For instance, place a C, E, and B on a single trig with the aforementioned settings; hit play and you’ll find that the arp will randomly choose a note among the three. It becomes more apparent if you copy/paste the trig a few times.

This is a much more musically-interesting method of “randomness” than assigning an LFO to pitch, for instance.

That’s one of my favourite things to do on the Monomachine, it’s a really easy way to get some semi-aleatoric stuff going!

That’s a great tip, thanks!! Now, I’m just new to my OT journey but it’s got me wondering if the same thing would work the OT when using midi loopback? Something to investigate soon I fear…

You could do something similar by using the LFO designer, and assigning it to pitch using the HOLD mode. If you get the depth right, the numbers in the LFO designer will correspond to the whole numbers in the pitch parameter. It’s a bit more fiddly, but could in fact get deeper than the monomachine’s arp, as you could also go into microtonal territory…

So… I’ve been playing about with the MNM and MD sysex from Rochdale’s finest which has been fun. But whilst I was at it I decided to make a bunch of one-shots from the MNM and then a bunch of sample chains from the MD based on this sysex. Just really for my own use in my DT/OT as they don’t sound immediately AE-ish when played on their own - the sequencing is key to that. Anyway, it amuses me to play about with them and I thought others might be interested if they don’t have access to the original silver boxes.

So, was thinking of uploading them to the Files section but I don’t know what the etiquette would be… cool? Or not cool?

As an aside, for some reason I can’t download anything from the Files section - the download link is unresponsive - am I missing some bobby-basic thing I should be doing?

as they gave those sysex out to the public…im sure its fine. Ae gift