Auditioning trigs possible?

Ok, so I’ve looked around on forums and in the manual. And the answer may be very obvious and still totally passed me by…

Is there a way to preview/audition/cue a sample as it is effected by a trig without having to wait for the sequencer to pass over it? Put another way: to listen to a sample I am effecting with the knobs when it’s not being triggered by the octa?
Cheers!

Check the various Trig Modes: pages 82-84 of the manual.

Yeah, read it. Doesn’t answer my question, at least not in a way I can understand. Thanks anyway.

Is it that you can’t trig the machines in Track mode, or that doing so doesn’t give you what you want?

Is it that you can’t trig the machines in Track mode, or that doing so doesn’t give you what you want?[/quote]
I interpreted the question as “how can I hear the sample with these certain parameter locks on it”"

No. The best you can do is choose to hear the sample through the assigned effect or not. (Which is a global setting). You can’t audibly preview a Trig.

Let’s say i place a trigger on beat 48 out of a 64 beat pattern. I then want to change the start point of that sample (or some other parameter) only on that particular beat, so I hold down the trigger while turning the corresponding grey knob.
So far, fine, but I would like to hear this while doing it, and not have to wait until the pattern comes back around to beat 48.

I can’t see how I could potentially do this in any other mode than “tracks” mode, but I may be missing something…

If it’s still not clear, another way to explain it is:
Pressing f.ex. T1 + Play at the same time auditions the sample on that machine.
Function + ENTER auditions the sample when editing the sample.

But where is the combo for hearing the individually processed trigger?

There isn’t one. You have to play from Step 1. You could split your 64step pattern into several smaller patterns. Sorry!

You answered so quickly. But I take your answers as a no,
And that’s weird, since it makes the process of making adjustments rather tedious when you have a long pattern cycle.
Strange machine, that I mostly really like, but it has these amazingly complex possibilities on one side and then some really odd limitations other. Guess that’s what all the love/hate is about.
Cheers!

Yes, many of us have been through these same questions before :slight_smile:

None of the Elektrons allow you to preview Trigs in that way. When you consider that the output of a Trig can be affected by other Trigs (parameter slides, note slides etc) - it wouldn’t be possible to hear EXACTLY what the soundwaves were doing on that Step.

Learning the Octatrack is an emotional rollercoaster. For every exhilirating high when you discover a new possibility, there is despair when you realise it doesn’t quite work how you wished it did.

There are some unusual, counter-intuitive, design decisions that you just have to accept and adapt to.

Keep at it!

if i worked this way, and i don’t, because i use it in the moment, i’d just nudge that track(s) forward enough steps to demo from that point at step 1 (or close to it) - maybe explore if it responds to song position pointer - i believe the new boxes do - or copy one page onto a new pattern

Yeah, that seems like a pretty good work around. Thanks!

–“When you consider that the output of a Trig can be affected by other Trigs (parameter slides, note slides etc) - it wouldn’t be possible to hear EXACTLY what the soundwaves were doing on that Step.”

Thats a good point. I will keep at it, and I’m feeling so much more inspired programming the octatrack than I have using a DAW the past years. Obviously I will combine them, but will try to do as much as possible in the octatrack for the time being. I feel like som aspects of my music have taken a huge step forward.

AK allows. Hold a trig and press a key on the keyboard.

AK allows. Hold a trig and press a key on the keyboard.[/quote]
I believe this changes the note(s) of the trig you’re holding, no ?

AK allows. Hold a trig and press a key on the keyboard.[/quote]
I believe this changes the note(s) of the trig you’re holding, no ?[/quote]
Yes, if you press a different note. But hitting the same note is easy because the led of the key is lit if you hold down the trig.

I can think of a few options here. I realize 2 of these require some MIDI processing tools…

• Use the arranger to set a loop on that trig (tedious)
  • Use an MIDI controller to tweak all parameters, then recall the ones you want to lock once you’re ready to commit them to that trig (continuously awkward)
  • Create a loop using a counter & song position pointer to play back from that trig (weird to set up, but pretty easy after)

I think what was mentioned about slides, scenes, etc. affecting trigs downstream still applies to all 3.

Hi all!

sometimes when making reaaaally long sequences I feel the need to “pre-listen” just a single step with all the p-locks I’ve set. Is there any method to do that? I really can’t find it through the manual,

Thankszx!

I don’t believe there’s any direct step preview, but you may be able to use the arranger set to the pattern your working on and use its offset feature to target the step your on, then you can just pess play and stop until you get it, and then set the offset to the next step your working on…

1 Like

That would be really cool.