Audio Routing Problem

Hey I just rewired my studio to be a bit more Ableton focused right now. But I’m having a problem to get the result I want.

I’m using Ableton Softsynths an OP-1 and a couple of effect Pedals. My sound card is the Focusrite Saffire 6 and my mixer a Soundcraft Compact 4.

So the output of my sound card goes into channel 1 from the mixer --> into the record out --> FX Pedals --> Soundcard input.

My goal is to route the audio from Ableton to the effect pedals and then back into Ableton to record everything. But I’m having trouble with feedback loops that I can’t get rid of. Also the recorded audio is way to low in volume and if I try to raise it via the amps from my sound card, I get a lot of white noise.

Maybe there’s something I just missed out. Thx in advance guys.

I only have very little experience with Ableton or daws in general, but it sounds like you’re having some kind of live monitoring activated inside Ableton that feedbacks into the mixer again.

1 Like

Which outputs are you using from the soundcard into the mixer? (Im guessing the rca outs)

Couldn’t find a definitive answer, but if rca 1 & 2 mirror the main outs, then using them would result in feedback. If youve been using 3&4 then its prolly a problem with how ableton is routed.

Also, rca outs will be quieter than the main, so youve got a much smaller dynamic range to play with. Bumping up the input level of the soundcard should be the last part of gainstaging since this will raise the noisefloor of your entire chain.

Thx guys, I found the solution!

1 Like

Might be cool to give it, Spike :wink:

1 Like

Well if you REALLY want to know :slight_smile:

I’m using the External Audio Effect Plugin from Ableton as a send effect to route the audio to separate outputs and then back into the sound card. Bam!

2 Likes