Audio question... Stereo to Mono

Hi there,

I am connecting my 4 KORG Volcas to my MOTU.

They are connected (via mini-jack mono to jack mono). I have splitted (via CueMix) INs on the MOTU (2 stereo INs = 4 mono INs).

What happens is:

Volca Kick IN 5
Volca Bass IN 6
= I can hear Volca Bass on IN 5
= I can hear Volca Kick on IN 6

Same goes for INs 7 and 8.

It seems splitting a stereo IN pair via CueMix results in this.

Any idea or suggestion would be appreciated.

Hmm, not sure what’s going on, but Volcas audio out is stereo/double mono, because it doubles as a headphone output. I‘m using a stereo to mono cable and it works fine.

Which Motu interface do you have?
Is the cable balanced or unbalanced?

Thanks @Schnork
Using mono to mono cables (mini jack to jack)
MOTU UltraLite Mk3
This happens whether used with MacBook Pro or in stand alone…
If I connect only one Volca to one IN on the MOTU (nothing else plugged in for test purposes), after having splitted a stereo pair IN into 2 mono INs (on the MOTU via CueMix), I can hear the signal (at very low volume) on the other mono channel…
Weird

In the end, I might just connect my synths (4 Volcas) to an old Mackie VLZ1402 on separate channels and have the main out of the mixer sent to a stereo IN pair on the MOTU :exploding_head:
Any advice?

How loud is the bleed signal? If it is less than -50db, you might get away with it.
Pretty wierd, sounds like a software thing? Im not familiar with Cuemix, dont know what that is.

Good question!
Never heard of channels bleeding in Motu audio interface, though.

Cuemix is the mixer and routing software for Motu interfaces.
If it’s not channel bleeding or a routing issue, then I can’t wrap my head around how an unbalanced mono cable could cause this^^

Edit
Are you using any dsp effects from the Motu like a reverb?

Have you tried the standart stuff already:
Have you tried another cable? Tried different inputs? Tried to initialize any routing in Cuemix?

Tried everything…

What are you using to record?
Perhaps rather than trying to eliminate the puzzle, manage it.
If you are using some kind of DAW, then just stick a gate on the channel andset the threshold to suit.

I use the above method when recording my band using microphones, we play in a small space so there is always some bleed, around -50db , with a gate on there, problem solved. You cannot hear the bleed when the saxophonist is playing, the gate kicks in when he is not. Bleed gone.

Again, depends how fussy you are.

I think you need to use stereo mini jack cables. Volcas do strange things when you plug a mono cable into the headphone out.

1 Like

I dunno about that, I used to have three volcas and made my own mono cables. Run each volca into its own mono channel on a mixer and recorded the output. Sounded great, no bleed between channels.

I remember there being some issue with using a mono cable in the headphone out and using the sync in/out at the same time. Something about shorting the right channel to ground.

I mean… it’s worth a try to use a stereo cable!

Yep! Who knows?!

Yes, I think problems happen if using a stereo cable for sync and a mono cable for audio, (and/or maybe the other way around) it is because the sync and audio share a common ground on the sleeve, so if you use a mono jack on the audio then the audio which would normally appear on the ring is sent to the sleeve, resulting in skipping sync because the sync input interprets some of the audio as sync pulses.

1 Like

Not using any sync cables…

Still, give stereo cables a try, it could very well be the reason why you’re having issues.

Strongly believe it by now :slight_smile: