Audio input, uses?

Hi y’all,

I just ordered my Analog RYTM today!! I should have it by the end of the week.
Anyway, it meets all of my needs at this point so I want to stress that I’m not complaining here, but I am confused. After reading online and through the manual, I am fairly baffled as to why Elektron included the Audio IN option with the RYTM. Here is what I understand about it, please correct me if I’m wrong:

• the only effect(s) you can send it to is the Master Compressor.
  • you CANNOT sample live with it
  • you cannot use EXT in as an Oscillator akin to the Korg Electribe

With that said, I don’t understand the point of using it. Originally I was going to purchase a Nord Drum 2 soon and run it’s output into the RYTM therefore saving some Inputs on my Mixer. However, now that I know I can’t send the Audio In to the Delay or Reverb, I would be left with dry drum sounds from the Nord mixed with RYTM’s lush Reverb sounds. I know I could add a reverb unit after the Nord but before the RYTM, but then the one thing I can use in the RYTM, the Compressor, would be messing with the Reverb Output.

Again, I’m not trying to sound ungrateful about this badASS machine, but I just don’t see the point of these inputs. Is there any talk about opening up there usefulness in future firmware updates? Does anyone have any good suggestions for their use?

If I could somehow get the Audio in into RYTM’s Reverb, I would be stoked.

Agree 100% I almost did not buy one because of this dumb decision, a £300 Electribe can do more with it’s inputs than a £1200 drum machine, shameful. :slight_smile:

Let’s hope an update will open it up, but I think it is a hardware routing issue, so if that is the case then impossible. :zonked:

2 Likes

Maybe have the compressor affect a kick ass bassline from your monophonic synth?

4 Likes

I usually record all my hardware to a two track in Ableton. I don’t have a mixer, so I usually end up running at least one of my synths through it, just to pass the signal through. I only wish there was an input gain control, but it can be pretty handy.

1 Like

You can use it as a place to store toothpicks.

9 Likes

Add that the level is very low. This little hole and the MIDI out are two mysteries that may one day reveal new capacities…

Audio input, uses?? … no!

MIDI out = MIDI clock or DIN sync output. One less mystery :wink:

1 Like

From what i heard we are going to be able to run exe. audio thru the drum engines in some way in the future.

+1

This is the obvious use for the inputs. Perhaps not as fancy as the Analog Four with it’s “input as oscillator”-option but it’s nevertheless a really good way to glue the AR sound with some other gear.

3 Likes

I get the Bass-Line comp recommendation. But without External Midi Sequencing, it seems like a half-baked idea. It just seems strange that that’s the best use for a pair of inputs. Especially when almost all “sample-based” hardware units with Audio-In jacks use that in some way or another to sample.

@Dr Strangeknob, can you share any more info or source on that claim? That would be wicked good news!!!

At the very least, I hope we can use the Audio In signal with the effects at some point. Again, so strange since you can do so in their other machines.

I’m gonna play with my new machine for a few days and gather any feedback, including this and send it their way. I assume that would be the best way to voice support for some “Audio In” love.

Ps.
after I saw “tooth pick holder,” I was surprised no one said “you could put your weed in there…” haha

The overbridge presentation at my work The wizards at elektron made mention of it. It might be something you have to do with overbridge. I can’t wait to see what they do. from all the stuff they did talk about there is a lot of stuff that they kept close to the chest. We live in a fantastic time my friends.

1 Like

Hmmm… . … so I broke down and gave Overbridge a go hoping that I could use the inputs as. . . inputs but it doesn’t look like it does that. Was kinda bummed as I brought the RYTM home to install some “updates” and add some samples and was gonna kick it on my couch and maybe record some stuff.
Oh well.

I don’t know what’s happening at Elektron HQ these days but thinking about how users will actually use the gear seems to be very low on their priority list.

Ah man, I love a kick ass bassline! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had another idea for the Audio Ins. You could output a single drum sound from the individual input, then process it with external gear, then route it back into the RYTM through the Audio Ins.

It’s small, but it would let you really go crazy when shaping your kick sound.
Cheers!

5 Likes

not using overbridge vst here but curious if the audio input can be recorded into audacity line in(rytm) all going via the usb, unable to test as all i have is a rytm atm.

No, it cannot.

just tried it from using my phone , it does , stupid quiet though, trying to figure out my mixing desk at moment to gain it , oh wheres my leads , anyways so you can get it into the pc just not overbridge

This + fx pedals = :thup:

1 Like

Use it as a master compressor for your live rig - it’s actually a quite cool compressor capable of quite a bit of punch :slight_smile:

2 Likes