Audacity update and new audio platform

Could be interesting, direct sharing from audacity, also audacity has a pretty significant new update including realtime fx - vst, and other formats.

3 Likes

So they took hold of a free, open tool developed entirely in the wild for the love of it over years, and made it the front door to their paid service. That’s potentially a shame.

It could also all be really good.

Just tried audio.com signup is simple, upload seems pretty quick and easy, hopefully will replace soundcloud for me.

2 Likes

Its free I think, I did not have to pay anything to sign up, I just did a test upload.

First hit’s always free.

Free can be glorious, but it’s completely unprofitable. At some point they’ll need a business model. On the web that’s usually ads/surveillance, because everyone gets addicted to free at the start.

1 Like

Some stuff from them here

Cheers!

Link test

1 Like

The audacity update is pretty cool, cleaner interface and lots of what look to be fairly decent free plugins.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check this out at some point.
Ive used an old version of audacity for years. Very stable.

Yeah I’m keeping the old version just in case this one goes bent, like some SAAS model or ads or other BS, but for now it seems ok.

1. Source is still available on Github
  2. I hope developers and other contributors who have made Audacity what it is today are getting paid
  3. The audio sharing service is apparently free but pre-alpha quality
  4. Hopefully the prior complaints about Audacity and data logging aren’t an issue again. Particularly given current events.
1 Like

Audacity is so amazing. I just used it to remove noise from a recording and it was incredible how effective it was.

I just downloaded the current version (3.3 IIRC) and it is really nice, of particular interest to me is the bar/beat/tick view which makes editing jams a breeze now, having a timeline view with bars/beats means I don’t have to piss about using a commercial DAW for bar/beat audio editing. It also has some other refinements like snap to grid etc, pretty handy.

1 Like

hello old topic people - i recently got rid of all my gear and now have a million jams and loops and unfinished stuff that i plan to use audacity to clean up and arrange - any pointers?