As Simple as it Gets

What would you consider the Simplest Music?
Ive been looking at the simplest method of creating tracks and so far have noticed Self Generative music quite good at this. Just patch a few cables run a sequence and voila!

But id like to take it a bit further. No offense to techno geeks but that seems quite easy(im sure its not). But repetitive and easy for a beginner to learn.

But aside from that can music be written in a way that take little brain effort but sounds majestic. Lofi Hip Hop seems quite easy but i guess J Dilla may disagree as those off beats require some effort.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Yea but if you want it to sound good then you need to put some effort in :slight_smile:

I’d suggest any genre can be mastered, what you’re probably more talking about is the ease of entry.

Techno can be easy - but good techno tends to take skill.

8 Likes

A lot of modern music is just about the latest technique that makes things simpler and easier, which gets overused and then advanced or discarded, it’s part of the evolution of everything

Genre music is boring. I agree. No offense meant by it. But if i can easily predict everything, i can’t enjoy it personally. I appreciate formalism and those who practice it for their own enrichment though.

2 Likes

If this is just another jazz appreciation thread then be straight with us sabana and stop playing games

5 Likes

Omg Jazz is the other end of the spectrum :rofl:

Its the effort part. How much is too much?

Drone.

6 Likes

Absolutely. Its become very sterile.

1 Like

Bagpipes are just my cup of tea. But blowing isnt as easy as it used to be :grimacing:

1 Like

Smoke more weed man! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My ideas blocked as soon as i read it has to end up sounding majestic.
I think you can’t go wrong with Soma labs instruments or a panart handpan amplified with a mic and loads of distortion or valhalla shimmer.

1 Like

I agree, if it’s too predictable and formulaic I don’t like it. If it’s too unpredictable and free form, I don’t like it.

If it’s somewhere in between, delicately dancing between the two lines, it’s not committed enough for me and I don’t like it.

If it’s sticking in a genre it’s boring and I don’t like it. If it shrugs off traditional conventions for a more modern looseness, I don’t like it.

If it’s simplistic in its approach, I don’t like it for lack of effort. If it tries too hard to be multifaceted and complex, I don’t like it.

3 Likes

Thats how i think. Your scarily close.

I like the plinky plonky noises

4 Likes

“Simple” in art is usually the most challenging to achieve a coherent work. In music “minimal music” is the genre which would be the simplest is terms of musical content. I know a little of Steve Reich’s music:

4 Likes

Sublime. Love it!

Ambient YouTube jams with a loop through some reverb and delay

And donk

I should say there is not one electronic instrument in the recording.

Doesn’t get much simpler than this, but good luck trying to get close.

5 Likes

This is something I did with some steel tounge drums and wood blocks. Would need real speakers or headphones to hear the bass drum.

1 Like