Arturia Polybrute

I’ve had it happen once, and it required a power cycle to fix. Hasn’t happened since the V2 update but not sure if its been fixed.

1 Like

I got a freeze (my first since I’ve got it - at least 9 months of fairly regular use) last week, I’ve updated to V2. I can’t remember exactly what I was doing, but I think I was in the settings menu while using the sequencer and most likely twisting knobs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think my freeze happened when I was adjusting the main ‘amount’ control for the mod matrix when I was switching between the main buttons below (preset, mod, seq, morph) at the same time…

2 Likes

Still deep in the honeymoon period with my PB.

I sat down with my PB last night to ‘attack’ some factory presets.

I haven’t really heard any that I would be able to use, so rather than just clear them all I decided to use a bunch of them as a starting point and turn them into sounds I would:could use.

I spent 2 hours on it last night and created 2 new presets using this method. :joy:
The reason being that I changed the Cassette RFI preset into something that made me just play for 90 mins… but well worth it!

Has anyone else approached it like this?

Does anyone have any favourite presets?

I’ve used some of the presets. They’re easier to sort through with the polybrute connect app, as they are all tagged. I haven’t edited any of them myself. I just skipped to page 8 to save my own presets.

That keeps happening to me too. It’s really easy to lose track of time.

1 Like

PolyBrute 'nauts… can someone explain PolyBrute Connect’s settings to me?

In Audio Settings, it gives me options to route to my usual audio devices via CoreAudio, but the sound from the PB never hits these outputs and I just monitor from my PB as usual (as in it’s analog outs into my mixer). What am I missing?

Polybrute connect is purely for parameter control. Audio isn’t streamed over USB like with Overbridge.

Ah ok, I thought this was the case.

Looks like they’ve ported over their softsynth standalone software for PB Connect… it looks the same as in Pigments, Analog Lab, etc.

Unless Arturia have Overbridge type plans for it…

Either way, it’s great to have and I really like the hybrid approach of having my computer behind the PB itself running Connect.

Hi guys! One quick question:
Does it do warm strings/ pads, let’s say as Ob6?
Also I had the Minibrute 2 and didn’t gel with its sound… isn’t it based on the same engine more or less?
Thanks a lot!

Yes, it does warm strings and pads beautifully.

If you sat down with an OB6 and tried to match its sounds on the Polybrute you would be able to get close to pretty much anything the OB6 could put out… but, personally, if I felt the need to compare it so strongly and wanted those sounds I’d probably just get an OB6. And, the other way around, there’s a world of sounds in the PB that the OB6 couldn’t come close to.

Honestly, from my brief experience now with the PB, it’s the functionality, workflow and sonic possibilities that make it shine every time I use it… it’s its own instrument. And a fantastic one.

5 Likes

Thanks my friend!
So u say its worth the money for this day and age.

It’s pretty much the most luxurious and fully featured analog synth you can buy, second only to a Moog One perhaps. It’s worth the money if that’s the kind of synth you’re after.

It can do warm pads but it wont sound quite like an OB6 SEM filter. In general the Polybrute sounds a lot fatter than Sequentials poly offerings.

1 Like

Thank you!
Like always, the best forum ever!!!:heart:

My only fear is that will sound like Minibrute2… which is not that great…

1 Like

It’s a different beast completely though to a Minibrute, and I’d say it’s those main differences that define the PolyBrute and it’s power… I don’t have a MB2, but I have a BassStation 2, and I imagine it would be like trying to compare that with the PolyBrute… as I said earlier, the PB can replicate most analog synths I have/know/have used, but none can match it back (… I’d like to have the £10k spare to try this with a Matrix-12, but, ya know, not happening in reality :upside_down_face:).

It feels to me that the more time you spend on the PB, the less you think about how it compares to other synths and get on with using it.

It’s hard to make comparisons, but the closest synth I have to the PB in terms of workflow and layout/structure is the Novation Peak/Summit. But they are quite different sounding.

In terms of the sound, it feels/sounds like a mixture of my Moog Matriarch, Prophet Rev2 and Behringer DeepMind (which is Juno 106 inspired)… if I just sit, tweak and play the PB the sounds that come out of it feel familiar to sounds I get from one of these three.

1 Like

Make sure you listen to a lot of demos, especially those featuring custom patches. If you scroll up you’ll see I wasn’t too impressed by most popular demos. They either go through the somewhat overproduced factory presets, or they use a bit too much FX for my taste.

This is a great demo if you’re interested in classic sounds:

And if you want an Oberheim type sound, Modeswitching created a synthwavey track with the Polybrute trying to emulate that type of sound. She has a lot of great Polybrute videos up so worth checking out her other content too.

3 Likes

I take 2 soundsets from the same sound designer and really feel the Deepmind is so much nicer sounding…kind of more open and power. Am I wrong?

Hard to say since none of those patches line up perfectly. I’ve owned a Deepmind 6 once and its a fun poly. If you like the sound of it over the Polybrute you could potentially save yourself a lot of money haha

1 Like

I was looking for a solid analog poly…but searching videos on PB found the ones on the DM12…and I must say, they got me more convinced somehow…

I have both, the Deepmind 12 and the PolyBrute. Both can sound great.

One thing to remember with the DM12, and I can hear it all over that soundset, is that it leans heavily on it’s FX section, way more than the PolyBrute does. That’s not a bad thing, it’s good to have so many FX onboard a synth, but you can’t judge it’s raw sound as well.

Also, listen on headphones, a lot of those DM presets are full of wide panning FX as well as chorus/reverb, etc… that sounds impressive solo’d like this, and if that’s what you want- to be able to sit at a synth and play/have fun, great, that’ll be fun.
But, if you’re making music, you put those type of sounds into a mix and they occupy wayyyy too much space and are hard to use with other sound sources.

However, the Deepmind is capable of more restrained/mix friendly sounds too.

1 Like

I really can bet at its core of PB are the Minibrute 2 (not 1) oscillators.