Arturia Minibrute 2 / 2S

The thing with the minibrute is if you want a good sound (not the overdriven, agressive one you usually hear) with it you need to keep oscillator sliders below 1/4
The filter works better and the bass has a better definition

4 Likes

Fairly thorough review of the 2S:

I wouldn’t mind giving up the keyboard of the 2 in exchange for the 2S’s more capable sequencer. The pads are a nice touch.

I’ve managed to avoid falling into the Eurocrack money pit, but the 2S plus one of those Eurorack cases might be the starter system that draws me in.

3 Likes

The pads on the 2S are both pressure and velocity sensitive. I’ll have to try these – as the feel of a pad is crucial and perhaps a little illusive for a manufacturer to capture. So hopefully Arturia gets this right.

Velocity is obviously loudness, but will pressure be aftertouch. The velocity should get recorded in the sequence, It would also be nice if the pressure was too. That would make this highly performable as well – using the patch bay to drive external gear as well.

I’m feeling too lazy right now to actually read the manual to see how the 2S sequencer works though.

The 2S video says that a sequence pattern can be up to 64 steps, 16 patterns per bank, 4 banks. I guess that’s about the same about Beatstep Pro but I could be wrong. 1 track is pitch and gate, other tracks are for velocity and modulation (pressure?) - that’s all in the video.

1 Like

Everyone’s always complaining about things being too small, but this is too big for me. I just don’t like how bulky it is, and I I’m not a big fan of how it looks.

If it has a complete midi integration, the Octatrack could be used as a much better sequencer :thinking: but if i buy the key version, I would need to connect midi from brute into midi in from OT in order to use the keyboard with the sequencer. But then I have only two octaves to play all the other synths controlled by OT… which brings me to the desktop version… if they going to make one…

Damn…too hard to decide…Arturia makes me go modular, i will be broke in a few months! If only a Swedish concern would create some kind of box, which is able to create fancy sounds…

Not me but I likey

3 Likes

Yes both go for 649€.

Nice machines, but my A4 Mk2 can do everything these machines can do times four. So i don´t need this. The Arturia Link stuff is very nifty. Like!

1 Like

It’d be nice if the A4 could run different length sequences though.

comparing them as standalones this might be true, however, the A4 can’t be combined with other modular gear that nicely, thanks to this great patch panel.
But I hear you… I don’t need it either

1 Like

Good perspective on this pulsn. I own a AK (will it be a MkI, we shall see). That too can do most of what these Minibrutes can do times 4, while only costing times 2. I do like all the stuff brought out on the MB2s patch panel though, and the little things like the inverter and the attenuator, though i could get this cheap enough on a modular. I think the MB2S fits better in with modulars, and actually in combo with the AK could be very potent both controlling modulars and being a part of the mix too.

It’s complicated to analyze all these factors, with price and all the subjective ‘feeling’ parts of a decision.

ADDED: Looks like you and i made some of the same points independently, Unifono. (I hadn’t read your post when i let mine drop.) The AK and the A4 MkII aren’t completely without some capability in this, as i think you are also saying.

1 Like

This is really really cool. I love that it can so readily do the ‘off-piste analog’ thing.

1 Like

I love his instagram account. Really cool stuff

He’s from Cycling '74 it seems…

1 Like

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you but the specs says it can ‘Individual track lengths’

2 Likes

This can do proper fm, both exponential and linear, the A4 lfo fm can’t compete with this

3 Likes

Or get a ALM Akemie Castle in Eurorack – if you really want that old style Yamaha DX7 kind of FM, only now with cv and dials for an interface. I like that the new Minibrutes really invite Eurorack.

not the baddest idea :wink: I’d love to own one

1 Like

OK, I stand corrected - nice one (as the manual says: The TRACK column sets the step length of the track. It works just like setting the pattern length in NORMAL mode. The settings will only affect the active track. Press the [TRACK] keys to select the track whose scale settings will be edited.)

Really not sure how I missed that - time to experiment!

2 Likes

I made the same mistake with my RYTM til someone corrected me on here.

1 Like

That’s what Elektronauts is for!

1 Like