Arturia MicroFreak

Thanx a lot for your answer, 256 seems ok (for me) as long as presets can be rewritten

2 Likes

256 presets is A-ok. Letā€™s not forget this is the same company that only put enough memory for 8 patterns on the keystep, and that the new Korg Volcas still only have enough memory for 16 presets. Even the new Elektron M:S only has 96 patterns.

1 Like

I am also thinking that 256 patches is mighty-fineā€¦ I can understand being miffed if it was 32 or under but if Iā€™m being curiously pragmatic self Iā€™m thinking that with 256 patches I can use the MF for 5 parts in a song and Iā€™ll still be able to write 50ish songs. Or, even if Iā€™m just demoā€™ing the patches and spending only 30 seconds per patch Iā€™ll be there for a couple of hours. Unsure Iā€™ve got that kind of staminaā€¦

1 Like

As long as you can overwrite factory presets then 256 is all good.

1 Like

Thanks. I have moved on from Arturiaā€¦I am not working with them, I just forgot to update my Linkedin dates.
I did start this project back in 2016 as a NanoBrute but we could not get the OSC price down so we switched to the digital osc concept in Jan 2017. I left at the end of November 2017 and Seb took over. Iā€™m not sure when the Mutable code concept started.
Seb is really good and has great ideas. He was 100% the guy on Pigments, 95% the guy on Minibrute 2, Buchla V, etc. and he has had his hand in most products since he started. He was my right hand guy and I look forward to what he comes up with in the future for sure.

I am starting a new brand with Medeli and we will probably launch our first products in May.

Best,
Glen

16 Likes

Really looking forward to this. Must be interesting to start things clean sheet with them, and build a team there. Have fun with this all.

I will be looking for the news starting in May.

I really enjoyed your post. In a number of subtle ways it illustrates the effort and hard work associated with developing a product - which is so helpful when you have clowns diminishing that effort to somehow equate using some open-source code as meaning the product development is a doddle.

I look forward to hearing about your new endeavours in due course and hope youā€™ll be doing the tutorial vids for it. Your Synthesiser Patel reference remains a high tide line in synth tutorials!

2 Likes

Check the facts. Its: 96x96=9216 Patternsā€¦

I was referring to the number of patterns accessible at one time. Saying the M:S has 9,216 patterns is pointless when 9,120 of those patterns are stuck in totally separate projects stored on the +drive imo.

1 Like

When you say ā€œstuck in totally separate projectsā€ it makes it sound like an odysseus-ish quest to load a new projectā€¦ sure, if the M:S was your only piece of gear and you were wanting a continuous stream of sound while youā€™re playing live itā€™s curtains here. But for any ā€œstudioā€ situation or playing live with one other piece of gear to cover the project load time doesnā€™t seem so trickyā€¦

3 Likes

Ok, fine. It has 9,216 patterns.

4 Likes

Thank you.
Nice to see someone caught the Synthesizer Patel reference.

It Sure doesnt.

Never forget the Roland System-1 launched with eight patch memory slots.

2 Likes

2 things I found not so good on the MF: (checked Plaits on a friends modular)

-Same four knobs to control the different modes but each mode has different functions of knobs on Plaits so that would be the same on MF! With plaits you canā€™t see what the knobs do unless you learn all functions and stick them in your head, same with MF? Or can you see the function of each orange knob on the screen when you turn them? It would have been way better to not have text under the orange knobs but 4 tiny screens that shows what the knobs function is! Anyway at that price canā€™t have it all!

-Donā€™t like the ADSR layout, itā€™s A D/R S and filter amount is the 4th knob, going to be very confusing in a dark place! And to work with release you probably need to press shift.

Maybe theyā€™ll have some info on the display but with plaits and op-1 I actually liked the way that with the 4 knobs doing different thinsgs depending on the engine, it feels different to normal param tweaking and you donā€™t neccesarily tweak in the same way that you would other synths. Feels more organic, like forming something out of play-doh or something. I like the idea of MF having that same kind of feel when sound designing on it.

Glad that not ā€˜allā€™ synths are this way, but I like that some of them areā€¦

yes but then the sounddesign seems like more trial and error which can be good in certain ways to have more happy accidents etc, same with OP1 and Plaits. But anyway iā€™m not here to complain, just some things I saw when thinking about performance/jam options/etc

1 Like

A playful synth like this would be all about the happy accidents for me.

1 Like

This video is why I hate keyboard players.

Hate is a strong word.

This video is why I hate keyboard players.

6 Likes