Arturia Matrixbrute [compiled topic]

I also highly recommend Marc Doty’s “Matrixbrute Advanced Synthesis” video course. It doesn’t just teach you how to use the Matrixbrute, it generally gives you insight into how to think about the Matrixbrute and problem-solve / think outside of the box with its feature set. Each lesson is proof of how deeeeep this thing is.

1 Like

Yeah, it must be a sound designers dream, at least matrix for modulation looks really fast and intuitive. And as a centerpiece for modular system as well.

1 Like

Yep, and that mod matrix has bipolar attenuverters at each point in the grid! Try getting that easily with eurorack hardware. Some more links:

CV flexibility on the Matrixbrute (you can use that mod matrix for crazy routing of both internal matrixbrute and external modular patch points)

loopop vids:
the 9 synth superpowers of the matrixbrute
7 semi-modular ideas, tips, and tricks for synths like the matrixbrute (the CV -> Expression part of this video is essential info for anyone with eurorack)

Tangerine Dream Presets here --if you join MatrixBrute Facebook group

2 Likes

Has to be best synth on the market right now for the $$$
Same ballpark price as DSI Rev2 but lightyears ahead in what you get for your money!!

4 Likes

thanks for posting those videos

I like this synth as well, there was some talk of an update sometime this year

prices look like they have gone up here

1 Like

Prices for it are super weird and all over the place right now. MSRP is $2500 (way too high, although they’re having a deal right now where you get the official hard flight case for free). Meanwhile I’ve been seeing used prices for as low as $1400 (an absolute steal for what you’re getting). I think it’s undervalued in the market, for whatever reason. Associations with Arturia as a software company? Their troubled past with service and shipping defects? I can only speculate. A lot of people on forums dismiss the sound, but I wonder how much experience they have with playing and recording with it. Those Tangerine Dream patches above are a good indication of what you can do (and aren’t too hard to dial in, really - I was making instant 70s kosmische from day one).

For a more modern sound, Orbital used it a bunch on their latest album. They indicated that the single “Tiny Foldable Cities” is almost all Matrixbrute. Listen with headphones or a good sound system and try to argue that it sounds thin and plastic!

5 Likes

So sick. If there were a Youtube making of video with the synth that would sell a few MBs I imagine.

1 Like

Not exactly a making of, but here you go!

6 Likes

Matrixbrute a definite classic. Been digging mine a bunch, though more for sound design and sampling than production (so far). Seems to do it all, and the matrix interface simply puts all else to shame. Really jonesing for the promised update but got low expectations, and it works fine as is, though the software required to transfer patches and change settings is the weak point for future proofing.

1 Like

sounds amazin in this

matrixbrute i think is the only big synth i really want. especially because it actually has modularity which i didnt realize before.

1 Like

Looks like he has a few more Matrixbrute Youtube Videos

New OS2.0 update seems like it’s pretty powerful:

https://www.arturia.com/faq/matrixbrute/what-s-new-in-matrixbrute-update-2-0

2 Likes

Yeah, this firmware 2.0 has really made my morning. Can’t wait to dive in. Major sequencer overhaul, custom LFO waveform creator using the matrix (!), 4 pages of custom modulation destinations, and lots of quality of life improvements across the board.

2 Likes

It all seems to add up to a load more fun from an already impressive synth.

3 Likes

It’s also blowing my mind to think about how much this new stuff will add to the Matrixbrute’s eurorack/CV capabilities. Not just 16, but 32 different destinations on the Matrixbrute can now be simultaneously modulated in varying amounts/polarity by external CV (using the tips in the links I posted upthread). The two custom LFO waveforms should also be good fun to send on to eurorack destinations, and can be redrawn in real-time by interacting with the matrix. Same thing goes for the sequencer - which I never used that much to be honest, but which now seems to have its kinks ironed out and a bunch of very playable features added. As someone who’s shifted to eurorack being my primary way of making music over the past few years, it feels like I just got about $1,000 worth of powerful new modules for free.

3 Likes

I have always thought that MB would be a great eurorack centerpiece. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This update rocks. 4 extra modulation busses was more than I expected, but 12 extra is above and beyond. Settings available from the synth is a solid fix. Got pretty annoying having to grab a computer to change midi channels. Digging the designer Lfo’s. Sequencer updates pretty shmick. Definitely a modern classic I am as proud to own and use as any Elektron machine.

3 Likes

Hi Mate, new to the matrixburte and trying to find the best option to automate its parameters in bitwig. I downloaded the vst - thanx for that:) - but i cannot seem to make it work.

Which vst should i chose, the “matrix editor” or the “ctrl”?

I also chose the correct midi out channel on the vst but still with no ability to controll the cc parameters, nor the notes.

Thanx in advance!