Isn’t that just… a computer?

Here’s what Arturia could’ve or should’ve done. (or maybe will at some point)
- Ditch everything but the dial.
- Turn it into a portable sound module.
- less than 50% of the price that the Astrolab costs.
- 87.9% more sales.
- 99% more positive comments online.
According to the very critical analysis I just pulled out of my ass.
All of the digital synths and samplers are “just computers”.
Do people make these kinds of comments as ‘gotchas’ or as genuine questions? If it’s the former, why even bother?
Do you also call rack ROMplers “just computers”? Is a Roland Integra “just a computer”?
Google Nest thermostat-looking knob
Can a midi controller control all the parameters of a synth like pigments offline? Or it’s literally only possible on the computer and then transfer the preset to astrolab?
I spent the last few months looking at how to build a “standalone” Pigments rig. I’m off the laptop altogether except for Pigments and just using my Akai Force mainly. Auto sampling patches from Pigments was limiting and also no realtime editing / control after the fact. I was about to pull the trigger on an Intel mini computer, load Pigments on it, add a cheap 2 channel usb i/o, touchscreen tablet and connect it all to a KeyLab II and Midi Fighter Twister or Beatstep to add more knobs. Not ideal, but still a portable pigmentd rig for gigging. Then the Astrolab dropped. First impression was, Thank you universe. Secomd thought was, Hmmmm, controls are limited. Watched the Loopop and other review videos, yeah OK this could work if I could connect the Midi Fighter Twister to it and control more parameters.
Can this be done? Looks possible from the Loopop video, but can anyone clarify? The MFT would sit nicely in the left side of the Astrolab.
If I did this, and factored in V collection X, Pigments, Astrolab and MFT its a €2600 build, which is a bit more money than my first plan, arguably more limited perhaps, but potentially more stable and neater.
Please internet strangers on a music gear forum, give it to me straight.
We are all more or less in the same boat. I would wait a little while, as there is a little more experience and time for people to experiment and to find some limits.
For instance there are performance limits, probably pretty high, but real. If you had two Pigment engines running simultaneous what is the voice limit. How gracefully does it degrade from overload.
And all the questions about external MIDI control.
Etc.
These are the sorts of things people will work out.
Unless you want to be an early adopter. That’s pretty safe too. We know Astrolab will be good, we just don’t know how good.
More information will probably arrive too, as Arturia shows Astrolab at SFF next week.
I’d say almost that, just keep the macro and layer controls. Like so:

(Yes, that is a Blofeld serving as the background.)
Shut up and take my money.
OK I bought one, it will be here Friday! I bought it because:
- I love sound quality, patches, and synth variety in the collection V…but standalone
- some basic controls to create movements and dynamics
- ITB full scale sound design with awesome vintage synths or pigments if I want that…and i can then move those patches back to a standalone setup. And if there are some interesting surprising sound design combos to put on a macro knob (sort of like the performance knob on the RYTM), that can do some further weird sounds…
- The random? space on the left side makes me think this is a SONG design machine, not a knob-per-function sound design synth. I think the space can be filled with…a plant…an ashtray (the good ol days)…phone/iPad/random midi controller/multiFX box? Other inspiration…
Strymon el cap!
Now I might be wrong, but I don’t think that’s what Mistercharlie meant in this case.
The Astrolab is advertised as a stage keyboard, being capable of bringing preset sounds designed in Arturia’s softsynths with you without needing to carry a computer and a controller. A module version of that I don’t think is particularly useful (the only-modules crowd is a bit off at times) and a computer would be the logical option since the end result is the same: needing to carry two things.
Nah, I’m waiting for Spacelab.
By this logic manufacturers should only ever make synths with expansive keyboards attached or with sequencers attached. What if I already have a keyboard? What if I already have a sequencer? Then the only correct answer is to get a computer?
I’m probably taking it too hard but reading snarky comments like “why not a computer” on elektronauts of all places is just annoying. If somebody can’t see how or why a small desktop sized box could be preferable to a laptop then I don’t know what to say.
In the year 202X Arturia or a competitor announces that the new circular display is not a circular display. It’s everything. You can detach it, stick it to another controller of [Arturia or competitor] and it just works.
One year later a wireless version is announced, and it works with any wireless controller (which have become common). Influencers (AI bots for the most part) call it “the puck”.
https://www.arturia.com/products/technology/tae®?_gl=11qfg2j_upMQ…_gaNzU2MDIwMjkxLjE3MTI4MjU2NzE._ga_2MQYXEGL0H*MTcxMjgyNTY3MS4xLjAuMTcxMjgyNTY3MS4wLjAuMA…
True analogue emulation ladies and gentlemen.
Before they were just selling the fake analogue emulation stuff but this time they are serious. 
It was meant as a joke, not as a “just use a computer” comment. That would indeed be nuts on this forum.
The Astrolab is essentially some software plugins put into a midi controller/keyboard. Take away the midi keyboard part, and what are you left with? Plugins!

