Article 13 EU Copyright Directive

And if someone thinks §13 is just about videos and music:

No. It’s about any content which can be copyrighted (like images, texts etc.pp.). When thinking that through even such innocent forums like Elektronauts here needs to install content filters, otherwise it could become quite expensive for Elektron.

1 Like

So no more copy pasting news :slightly_smiling_face: elektron will be just fine. And links will still work, right? And embeded plugins… hopefully…

too much restrictions and regulations is always bad.
trust me, i grew up in Soviet Union.

8 Likes

Exactly. Especially when such laws are enforced to protect the powerful.

3 Likes

I go t9 the coffee shop every weekend because of a class I am taking. Every time I order there is a band that sounds like Backstreet Boys playing and it annoys me that it’s not the real Backstreet Boys. I don’t even like the Backstreet Boys, but just play Backstreet Boys. I think they are doing this so ASCAP doesn’t come and shake down the coffee shop

1 Like

Back street boys are back! Bump pump dum dum doo doo😎

Go record it next time your there. I want to hear this cover

3 Likes

Not sure I know what you mean but, any Japanese in the house to confirm?

I have read right now that even links to the sources could be charged for. If this is really so, i am totally against it , that is utterly stupid.
They say it is not quiet clear what the law exactly is trying to impose, it is written in such a language that many interpretations are possible…

3 Likes

Yeah I’m trying to imagine being asked to pay for the privilege of referring to another’s work in an attribution.

Can you imagine paying for the right to use citations in an academic work?

They have to be carefully about not going to far, i can imagine people loosing interest in such a media. They need user , right ? OR they plan keeping the fun part just for themselves. Well , i don’t know, anything is possible. I have been born in communist country too, what once was celebrated by my parents and all the people i know , is now the most despised thing ever. By the same people :smiley:
But they still pretend they now what is right and what is wrong and what is real and what unreal. Crazy
I am just saying that if something looks really crazy right now, it doesn’t mean it will not happened.

Off topic but has anyone noticed your YouTube ads you are watching are getting slimmer in selection? I wonder how much pressure this puts on the revenue stream for YouTube and content creators. I see the same shark tank ad over and over. No more native instruments ads in my direction either.

I read something about this in the papers today. It seems that memes will be safe, and linking will not be a problem for individuals, only for media publishing companies.

So maybe the consequences of article 13 wont be as bad as they initially might seem…

1 Like

I’ve seen similar ads, highly repetitive.

I can’t stand the newer model where they interrupt your video to play an ad, just like legacy TV. It’s hard to believe someone thought that was a good idea.

2 Likes

I’m only interested in memes tbh :smile:

2 Likes

Seriously I need Reddit and pewdiepie in my life.

1 Like

The EU sticking their nose in where it’s not wanted? Who’d have thought!

I watched some damn funny YouTube videos last night on this, mostly Millennial YouTuber types visibly mortified that they are going to loose all their “likes” :sob: when their videos (old and new) get booted off, and some mention loosing revenue from ads, which funds their amazingly life changing how to apply mascara blogs.
But they admit to using music without consent, and have ego centric excuses like they’re using their popularity to give the musicians a wider audience and promoting their music career. Stuff that, get consent, credit the music and send the musician royalties.

1 Like

and another terribly sad announcement from the EU. I really don’t want to see any more. such misery being enforced by the one eyed aristocratic octopus that has got a grip on this beautiful continent’s people. censorship is not the answer, it’s not even possible without using some ‘throwing the baby out with the bathwater’ censure algorithm.
with 6.6666666666 hours of video uploaded each second, tell 'em they’re dreaming or don the yella! it’s up to the people now
http://www.everysecond.io/youtube

1 Like

I’m with you here. If people would follow those simple rules (create original content and/or ask/pay for reuse) article 13 would never be discussed.

Nevertheless, article 13 doesn’t makes sense. It just makes it easier to control the www. I’m also not sure if artists, that are pro article 13, will be happy with it on the long run because, i guess, there will be more legal actions than before which don’t only hit the content providers (like social networks and such) but also the artists themselfs. Also it will limit the creative output, because some people are even more concerned about releasing stuff than before.

2 Likes

.it only makes sense in a ‘global’ context when every country is suffering from a simultaneous crack down on their freedoms. the specific nonsensical regional laws are only there to confuse people and bog the narrative down while the preparations are made for implementation of the next round of controls ie. active speed limit monitoring devices and vehicle engine governing devices fitted to all new cars in 2022, 5G active denial grid etc