Argh please help with saving

From your explanations re Beat 1 and Beat 2 : These are Patterns, so you don’t load a Pattern whilst you’re in Beat 1, because Beat 1 is a Pattern. Ditto for Beat 2.

It sounds like what you really want to do is copy a pattern.

What are you trying to achieve ? Do you want Beat 1 and Beat 2 to have the same sequence pattern, but each associated with different kits (sounds, etc) ?

If ‘yes’ then Copy Pattern is the way to go.

tintao’s response did actually include the answer. :slight_smile:
:kiss:
The distinction is this :

Save Track saves the sequence data for just a single track (the current one, as selected by the 6 TRACK buttons on the right of the A4).

Save Pattern saves the sequence data for all tracks.

So the Save Track command gives you finer control cf Save Pattern.
[/quote]
Fair enough. Thank you for the clarification, Lenny! Much appreciated! :kiss:

1 Like

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/disturbing-by-kit-sound-tracks-pattern/3596/63485

Well, i think the manual answer is pretty specific. At least, to me. Sorry.

1 Like

OH MAN I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT! :astonished:

Here is how I’m thinking about it in case this is confusing anyone as much as it confused me.

Basic structure:

Project

• Think of this as an album or a band or a specific style of music your working on. At least it works for me to think of it this way.
  • In other words you could have a hip hop album on project 1 and Project 2 could be the synth pop album you’re working on and Project 3 could be that ambient album you always wanted to write.
  • You get 128 of these and you can get to them by hitting Function + Global

Banks

• Banks are basically where you store your loops or ideas for a song
  • It seems you would only have 8 of these per project (banks A-H) and each song idea could have 16 parts. But that is not necessarily the case.
  • You can split up the banks by KITS (get to kits next). So you could have Bank A parts 1-4 be one song idea with four parts assigned to a specific KIT and Bank A 5-8 be a totally different kit and be a completely new song or idea.

Kits

• Think of these as a band with four parts or just four totally different synth tones, drums etc…
  • Basically you get four of these per song
  • You can save and load these by going to function + Kit
  • Here is how I now save a kit so I do not get lost or confused as to what pattern the kit is associated with. Track name + Patterns. Lets say I want to name the song I’m working on “Hip Hop 1” and when I wrote it it had 6 parts located in Bank C parts 1-6. I would name it “HipHop1-C1-C6”
  • Now as long as I’m in the proper project and I load this Kit I know where to go to find the idea I had originally pieced together.

Pretty straight forward but I want to go through it anyway.
Step 1 - Load the project or album you want to hear / work on (function + global)
Step 2 - Load the Kit or song/loop idea that you want to hear (function + kit)
Step 3 - Locate the patterns associated with that kit if you named your kit with pattern and bank names this will be easy to find.
Step 4 - Press play :slight_smile:

I’m still figuring this out so let me know if any of this is incorrect. Please remember the A4 methods can be used in a number of ways this is just one beginners way of thinking about it so it doesn’t get confusing. I hope this is helpful to some people.

[Disclaimer: I don’t own an AF.]

Your system would work, but I don’t think you quite have it perfect yet.

Try this:

Step 1 - Load the project or album you want to hear / work on (function + global)
Step 2 - Select the PATTERN (song/loop idea) that you want to hear.
Step 3 - The Kit that is associated with the pattern is automatically loaded.
Step 4 - Press play

Hi PeterHanes, also for me this question about patterns is a lot confused. For me was better save/load patterns to use with different kits. I prefer create a pattern and after link to my preferred kit, so I can use the same pattern whit any kit that I wish.

Sorry for my raw english and for late question, I’ve bought A4 second hand, just today.