Are you a sound saver?

Nope.
I edit the Sounds to how I need them in that spefific pattern anyways. It’s alot about fine tuning the pitch, filter and envelopes, especially on the low end stuff

Yeah me too, I often use a form like a traditional song but for a ~45 minute set made up of 6x64 beat parts.

Something like:
Intro
verse
buildup
chorus
breakdown
buildup
chorus
outro

1 Like

Very rarely if ever. I love the fact that with synths you can always kind of create a sound that for better of worse mirrors what’s going on inside you, and therefore I just don’t feel the need to evoke “last tuesday vibes” very often.

edit: I just noticed that this thread is about the DT, which I don’t even own, oh well.

1 Like

For me it usually depends on how complex the sound is. I have lots of older saved sounds that I don’t really even revisit because it’s the type of thing that can be dialled in quickly anyhow. Although at the time they probably seemed novel to me because I had no experience making them before that.

Types of sounds with many specific parameters and long mod matrices, etc I will usually save though. Since to get back to that kind of world from scratch would be annoying each time.

It’s a balance for me. I tend to want to have fresh sounds whenever I play, but doing everything from scratch each time isn’t really sustainable when I just want to make some music.

1 Like

I love that sound! Now that i think of it, i think theres a preset in the Digitone called ‘Jerry’ that is very similar to the Seinfeld bass sound (unless ive imagined this, i no longer own a digitone so cant check)

2 Likes

those were for yesterday Nate, the version of me that made terrible decisions that I have to live with today - I hate that guy

2 Likes

Everytime I hear it I see Elaine dancing :joy:

2 Likes

I think the seinfeld intro was done on a Korg M1, I don’t have one anymore though… for how cheap they are now they are not bad.

1 Like

Maybe we need to form a support group and I don’t mean technical support :upside_down_face:. It could be a sign of a greater problem for me considering all the crap I saved from high school sitting in my Mom’s garage.

1 Like

So, improvement instead of getting worse, that’s a preferable direction!!

1 Like

Hm sounds like something that would benefit tomorrow Nate, I don’t have time to worry about him

1 Like

Are y’all talking about the Flame Maander / Gotharman guy?

Yeah, there’s no time for that now.

1 Like

Yes, I build and save sounds because they come in handy later on in building tracks. I have about 50 new ones created from my new Virus and OB X8 and alone they are not useful but together a powerful tool to build complete songs. Same with my field recordings from my Pocket Operators. Plus I use the. As sound bites in my videos.

1 Like

I haven’t read the whole thread yet so apologies if this gets mentioned, but I typically just resample any sounds I want to save for future use. Recently, I’ve also started making folders to save them too. This way you have it classified and ideally named something memorable so it is easy to access for future projects.

3 Likes

Well no one mentioned that yet so thanks as it gives me something else to consider.

I haven’t messed with the saving sounds at all as it always seemed counterintuitive to me although I’m sure it works well for others. All I can say is resampling is a pretty quick and easy way to file a sound for later.

1 Like

I rarely save sounds on the DT, but I do (almost always) record patterns elsewhere. Usually I record onto the Octatrack.

Although I don’t save things as Digitakt sounds, I’m actually trying to build up a library of my own drum loops, breakbeats, synth sounds, etc so I’m on this kick of saving everything. I think I’ve been on this mission of saving loops and stuff because not very long ago I lost over a year of work due to a storage malfunction and apparently the backup was lost too – maybe I’m just trying to rebuild?

1 Like

I have yet to mess about with resampling but it seems like that is the obvious solution to my problem of running out of space: to resample sounds which utilize large samples so I can delete the originals and free up some space.

I’ve found it useful for lfo tricks, like random start position etc. it’s just saves a bit of time.