Are stereo samples reduced in size on import?

When you import stereo samples, do they automatically convert to mono? Meaning… does a 4mb sample become a 2mb sample? Also, is there an easy way to see remaining sample time on the transfer drive?

Thank you!

They are converted to mono. Not sure if that decreases the size or not. I dont think there is a way to view remaining storage.

It doesn’t convert. It just uses the left channel only, it’s not mixing both channels down. Should be half size in theory.

Thanks to you both.

When you toggle the Wave switch (to choose samples), it tells you how much is free in the bottom-right corner. Actually… as I type this, I realize the numbers don’t add up. I suspect it gives you a value of your available sample memory in the current project, and not the available space on the +Drive.

EDIT: Yes, it tells the amount of free space in the project. I confirmed by loading a different set.

I really wish there was a way to know how much space on the +Drive. It should be clearly stated, at least in the Transfer soft.

Transfer converts samples to 48k mono, I just had a 9mb 44100 stereo chain converted and it was just 3mb afterwards.

The only way I have found to estimate the free space left, is just to check the size on a computer, after I’ve just backed up the contents of the +drive.

I appreciate that; thank you. Since the samples convert in transfer, this means a huge increase in available storage space, which is a good thing. :slight_smile: