AR Uploader for Windows - Sample Chains and Batch Uploads

Hi jbone1313,

the “Modded 707” sample collection I mentioned in the first post has 804 wav files (I just took a look at the the 48k converted directory, hadn’t deleted that one, yet).

All files were uploaded into one directory (in one go / overnight) and I sorted the files into directories (on the AR) the next day.

I just counted them by going through all AR directories and using “select all” to show the file count.

The total count is 510 (!)

So you’re right!

Apparently there is a limitation of 512 (510?) files per directory.

Thanks a lot for noticing this !

In my case this did not cause any severe issues (e.g. file system corruption).

May I ask which firmware version your AR is running ?

I’m on 1.22b but it could very well be that I still had 1.21c installed when I did the upload – it’s already been 1.5 months since then.

By the way: If an upload did not finish b/c of this 510 files-per-directory limitation and you still have not deleted the “48k/” directory (and the filelist.txt):
Copy the “filelist.txt” to “leftovers.txt”, then edit it and remove all entries until line 511, then upload the remaining files using this cmdline:

$ cd my_sample_dir/48k
$ tks app:sds leftovers.txt -indev "$SDS_INDEV" -outdev "$SDS_OUTDEV"

Oh my, now I have to do this for all the sample packs I’ve uploaded since then… most of them have more than 510 files :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

oh boy…
great that this didn’t seem to be interesting enough to be mentioned in the Rytm manual.
great that the uploads just fail silently.

:zonked:

edit: I’m wondering what actually happens if the 1GB are reached? Will the sample data write over project memory, or even the OS itself? Will it rotate around, overwriting the factory samples? Could be fun but do we want to find out? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

to be fair, 500+ files in one directory on that screen is a bit crazy, no? How do you even find samples?

1 Like

The file system sure is not a strong point of the AR :smiley:

Reminds me that it might be a good idea to filter “unusual” characters in filenames to avoid this “undeletable directory” situation
(unusual = all that are not listed on the AR name entry page ?!).

The only reason for wanting to have more than 510 files in a single directory is that you can start a batch upload and leave it running overnight, then sort the files the next day.

It would have been a lot more user-friendly if the upload directory could be changed programmatically but well…it is what it is…

1 Like

Yep - I think 510 was my exact number.

May I ask which firmware version your AR is running ?

1.22b

By the way: If an upload did not finish b/c of this 510 files-per-directory limitation…

Yeah - I figured out deleting the lines from the filelist.txt file.

BTW: FWIW, I am using your tool without those extra installs. I do not want to install anything on my machine that I don’t have to, especially since I just reformatted and reinstalled Windows.

Oh my, now I have to do this for all the sample packs I’ve uploaded since then… most of them have more than 510 files :wink:

Good luck!

The only reason for wanting to have more than 510 files in a single directory is that you can start a batch upload and leave it running overnight, then sort the files the next day.

Respectfully disagree. See post below. :slight_smile:

It would have been a lot more user-friendly if the upload directory could be changed programmatically but well…it is what it is…

Yep.

Would have been nice.

edit: I’m wondering what actually happens if the 1GB are reached? Will the sample data write over project memory, or even the OS itself? Will it rotate around, overwriting the factory samples? Could be fun but do we want to find out? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Great question!

to be fair, 500+ files in one directory on that screen is a bit crazy, no? How do you even find samples?

On the contrary, it is not crazy. Pressing and turning the knob scrolls the samples very quickly. And, if good naming conventions are used (as bsp’s tool enables), it can work well. E.g., prefix snares with “snare.”

is there a good manual on using this tool? I see only txt file with different keys specified and only 1 example provided.
I need a comand to be able to convert all the files in specific folder to sample chain and upload it to AR - can you please let me know how to do that?
Thanks!

bsp, have you updated (internally) your libanalogrytm? I was wondering if you managed to decode a kit sysex request, just like you did for the patterns?

1 Like

This topic is dead and is not supported by developers. I don’t know why it is pinned in AR sub-forum. It’s a shame.

1 Like

Still hoping for a polished Windows file uploader for the RYTM. Might have to make a Hackintosh I guess.

My apologies for leaving you hanging there for almost a year.

But there’s a “Good news, everyone” – I finally created a (musician-friendly) UI for this tool.

(it’s not highly polished but way more easy to use than the commandline version!)

Here’s a demo video that shows how to create a “varichain” from an audio track: https://vimeo.com/222078031

The basic idea is that

• you record your drum hits onto an audiotrack in your DAW
  • export that as a WAV
  • import it into the tool (drag’n’drop)
  • the tool will then:
  • extract the slices and convert them to 48kHz/mono (via SOX)
  • create a sample-/varichain wav along with an AR kit (.syx)
  • and upload the wav+syx to the AR.

You can download the software here: http://miditracker.org

@mekohler: yes I have. I’ll update my github page tomorrow (EDIT: it’s updated now).

1 Like

Thanks for the github update!

…almost forgot: since I am using Korg’s USB MIDI driver for the AR, the AR in / out device names in the default tool config differ from most people’s setups.

here’s a config that uses the device names you get with the (default) Microsoft USB MIDI driver (just overwrite the file): http://miditracker.org/files/other/ar_ms_usb_midi_cfg/synergy_config.tks

(you could also use the “Device Setup” UI page to change this but I guess it’s easier this way)

last but not least: it’s still possible to use the uploader from the cmdline: run “cmd”, change to the “synergy-miditracker-18Jun2017” directory, then run “synergy opt\sds\sds”.

The UI basically does the same thing, except that it also runs “synergy opt\sxt\sxt” to extract the slices, and “opt\sox-14-4-2\sox” to convert the slices to 48kHz.

p.s.: “SXT” is the suffix for Propellerhead Reason NN-XT patch files, by the way. I’ve reverse-engineered that file format last year and wrote a patch generator that can be used to extract slices and create a multisampled drum map from a single wav recording, for example.

Thanks for making this, after some fiddling I got it to work and it’s much nicer than c6.

I still loathe Elektron for not giving us the same sample uploading ability as the OT, what fucking year is it really? Oh well, still a lovely instrument and you could say the shitty sample management forces me to choose wisely…or never use samples.

Here’s an update for firmware V1.50: http://www.miditracker.org (64bit Windows + Linux).

The uploader tool is part of my free and open source MIDI sequencer (“Audio Tool” page).

The app’s “Analog Rytm” node can be used as a librarian for patterns and kits, and the new release also features an AR kit editor, which is (briefly) shown in this video @~1:20m:

(note by: that cascaded timeline sequencer feature is quite freaky and very useful for percussion sequencing)

5 Likes

Wow, thanks for your effort!

Any way to spend you a beer or sth.?

2 Likes

haha, thanks for the offer but I’m good (…and don’t forget about the mini-undo in the AR kit editor, i.e. press LMB while you’re changing params via RMB-drag)

2 Likes