AR sounds

like I said, the Jomox is the closest comparison. since it uses analog synthesis, runs samples through VCA/VCF’s, and can store parameter values per step. but if you’re used to Elektron OS’s, you’ll be sorely disappointed/frustrated (or downright pissed off) working with a Jomox box.

Vermona is great but different sound for sure. much simpler and more raw sounding. and no parameter locking per step. hell, you can’t even control the parameters via CC. the most you get is accent via velocity.

1 Like

The only demo I found sounding a little powerful is this one…

1 Like

This video shows what you can do with a single a4 track:

The a4 is amazing for drums

still the workflow for drums on the AR is great, in my opinion. Not to speak of scene and performance page - where you can excessively change all your sounds and run wild experiments on them. These alone are worth purchasing an AR

2 Likes

How big is the sample ram?
I can t find this on Elektron page.

Bro it’s got a master overdrive and compressor. Just crank those bad boys to the max and you’ve got an instant Dave Friedman drum explosion sound. In fact I’ve thought about reamping drums through the rytm… That would be very fun.

2 Likes

edit: I own my rhythm mk1 for about 5 years now, never had an issue running low on ram or the 1GB drive. You have to put some thoughts into it of course, it‘s not the Octa. Different purpose, different limitations.

1 Like

I don’t like the internal analog engines- I mainly use samples

There are better analog drum machines if that’s what you need.

Which u think sounds better in that direction?

I was impressed by Tempest, Alpha Base by Jomox and Erica Synth Techno System.

I would love owning Tempest to be honest

2 Likes

Originally I thought the Rytm synth engines sounded a bit meh, but then I heard the excellent AR808 sounds.

This inspired me to work a bit harder on the synthesis side. My preference is now to use synth over samples for kick, snare, rim, clap, hats. Open hat I layer with a sample, and same or cymb/rides.

As for alternatives, Jomox sounds are so sweet, but people’s experience with the unit quality and software keeps me away.

2 Likes

A used tempest is like 1k more than a used AR. I just don’t think they’re in the same wheelhouse.

I can get Tempest at 1700€, but I never thought about this cause I am no real Dave Smith machines /sound fan.

I found AR mkl at almost half price. What are the drawbacks of mkl?

Main one: no sampling/resampling

You can load samples, just not record them

Then it’s the more obvious things: screen, smaller pads, older buttons

Advantages: smaller and cheaper

3 Likes

Yeah, sampling and internal resampling, but also the mk2 has two CV/expression inputs, a bigger screen and some additional performance controls (the quick performance knob that lets you “fade” multiple performance macros).

2 Likes

I agree with the A4 suggestion. And pick up Daren Ager’s Druma sound pack for a sweet collection of analog drum patches.

In addition to what others have said, people complain about the Mk1 pads. I do find they’re a bit stiff, but they still respond to velocity and aftertouch really well. I can’t compare them to mk2 as I’ve never felt those. They kind of feel like mpc pads to me. Actually maybe a bit less stiff than mpc.

I don t find so great the demos on youtube with the Tempest. Thing is someone wants to sell it to me for just the price or AR mkll… :roll_eyes:

I owned the Tempest. It’s beautiful, sounds amazing and it is also basically a 6 voice polysynth.

I sold mine as although amazing, it was kinda felt to me like it was ‘just a drum machine’.

I bought a Rytm Mkii with the money and LOVE it.

The analog element of the Tempest sounds better than the Rytm IMHO but overall I prefer the Rytm BY FAR. The engines with the samples are the sweet spot (rather than just the analog) but then add the Rytm’s sequencer… its stoopendously good.

My advice, if you can get a Tempest for the price of a Rytm is get the Tempest and if you don’t like it sell it and buy the Rytm.

Whichever you go for it’s a win-win!

3 Likes

Don’t listen to the other guys, AR MkI is superior in every conceivable way that matters (black box, round buttons).

Especially at a good price :wink:

3 Likes