AR or OT

I got an OT and I’m in my window to swap for an AR. My apprehension around the AR has been its midi out which was just recently added. Is anyone using the AR as their brain for their studio?

Also, how is the sampling compared to the OT?

I have:
an OT
Vintage Minimoog with after marker midi
an Ob-6
I see an SH101 with a Kensington cv to midi converter in my future.
I use a Keystep more than the OT chromatic keyboard.

My current workflow is sequencing everything in the OT, sampling it, process or chop up the samples etc.

I find im much more productive being far away from a DAW, but I do like OB for tracking.

Musical style is sorta retro dark trippy techno adjacent that leans more into Moroder, Tangerine Dream and Depeche Mode more than it leans into 99.9% of contemporary electronica.

Can the AR handle full 64 step samples and run a host of long melodic samples?

Feel free to merge this into another thread if this conversation is live somewhere else.

Thanks.

Sampling on AR MMKII is apparently similar to DT, mono, 30 sec max. Very limited compared to OT (8m28s max, stereo). Playback too (64MB RAM. vs 85.5 MB + reading from 64 GB CF Card for OT, up to 2GB files per track, around 3h30mn).

Check that thread concerning DT vs OT.
Octatrack or Digitakt - no computer setup

3 Likes

i would look at both for what they are/do… OT being a sampler+ and AR being a drum machine+ :smile:
both can handle samples but the AR won’t offer you all the possibilities the OT can and well, you can surely use the OT as a drum machine but you’ll be most lickely using samples for that whilst on the other hand, AR will give you the option to do some sound design and there’re just few more things you might want to consider there too… :thinking:

4 Likes

The AR’s 8 analog voices circuitry has to be considered too, but for sampling / resampling / mixing with DAWless approach, OT is definitely better.

3 Likes

Thanks!! Looks like the OT is the winner for my current needs. Maybe I’ll be visiting you guys down the road when I have a windfall!! (And when I really master the OT)

1 Like

https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/76cf161aa4a0266f3ef3b7eec120b56c7c225de3

Can’t take any credit😂

9 Likes

I’m still discovering new possibilities after 5 years with OT. Hard to master all ways to use it. Try to focus on your needs, but they may change. :content:

2 Likes

besides the fader, does octa have control all feature?

the fader somehow works like that but not as in one encoder to control same/different parameters of the tracks, for that you could have a look at this one :smile_cat:

3 Likes

With midi loopback or a regular midi controller, yes. You can control up to 8 tracks with Control All, setting them on the same midi channel. Works for AR, probably A4 and all Elektrons without Control All. Possible to reload settings.

Crossfader is 250 times more efficient once set. (up to 250 parameters with min / max).

2 Likes

this is good but A4 is wrong

I see it the same way. They are two different machines.

Octatrack is a sampler with XXX possibilities

RYTM is a drum machine with limited sampling possibilities, but a sound. To me the kick alone is worth it.

judging by what I read from OP, I would say octatrack is what he wants (and picked to stay with)