AR MKII Ext In

I’ve searched the manual and tried searching and couldn’t come up with anything. There is no level control for the EXT in on the AR MKII. I’m currently running my A4 MKII into the EXT in on the AR MKII to get around using a mixer. I don’t know if this is optimal, the signal is pretty low and I have to crank up the A4. My OT inputs are all used up with the AR using 2 and 2 Avalons using 2.

What do you think I should do?

I’d be thinking about a mixer/larger capacity sound card

1 Like

Not helpful I know

So I’m not crazy? There is no level anywhere in the AR MKII for the EXT In?

It’s identical to the MK1 by design, it’s analog straight to the compressor (no gain/trim pots) - there are no differences electrically in terms of i/o either iirc so anything you see for the mk1 applies - there are possibly hotter outs on the A4 mk2 iirc which are rated in the ballpark of the AR ins (for all 4 voices firing) … A4 mk1 is sorta usable into AR mk1

Nothing is going to change this, so read up … basically use modest levels in AR voices or boost externals pre input or use hot(ter) gear etc

3 Likes

I’d would consider looking into a small mixer. If you are trying to keep everything routed into the OT for whatever reason. you could grab one of the little xenyx mixers with 4 inputs and put the AR and A4 into that with its output running into the OT.
I would go with something a little larger running 5 synths But ultimately a mixer is probably a good idea

2 Likes

Same issue here. I’m routing a Digitone into the ARmk2. Even with levels all the way up on Digitone I have to go back to super low levels on the AR. Pretty useless. My inputs on the Digitone and Octrack are perfectly fine. It’s the AR that has super low EXT IN level. Damn!

if I remember correctly you can „level up“ by turning all internal sounds to 50/60% of their original level value.

the Analog engines drowning the external sound

1 Like

@martin01

have a look in this topic: same issue - solved via mobile amplifier (€33,-)
give enough gain for my A4 - I am totally happy with it cause I can use the AR compressor with A4 :smiley:

cheers

2 Likes

Useless for some types of sounds/genres, maybe.

My experiences with the overdrive and compressor have lead me to use medium levels at either the SRX/SAMP stage or the AMP stage, for most tracks, most of the time. I find this give more control and a wider range of tones from the OD and comp. Plus you get good relative level at the Ext In for free.

1 Like