AR mk1 hardware issues - should I return it?

Edit: Trying to figure out how to embed a video.

Yesterday I received an AR from Reverb. It was listed in “excellent” condition with the original box, packaging, cords, and even the startup guides, from a 5-star seller who was quick to answer my questions and seemed like a decent, friendly person. However it seems I bought a lemon and I’d like some thoughts before I go full Karen.

I did a factory reset and updated to 1.50A. Nothing changed. So I took this video.

1 - The FX button will not do anything unless I hit it quite hard.
2 - Same thing trying to get into global mode, and even then it doesn’t always work.
3 - The pads aren’t recognizing my input. Pads 7 and 9 are the most frequent offenders and malfunction more often than they work.
4 - It wobbles, which is really only a big deal because I specifically asked the seller if it sits level and he specifically said it does.

I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, thinking maybe he didn’t use it enough to see these issues, however problem 4 makes it hard to not think the whole thing is a scam. Also, I’ve only used this for a couple hours total and I’m worried there are other issues I haven’t yet discovered.

Am I missing something here? Am I doing something wrong? AITA?

Issue 4 is nothing, it’s a 5 second fix - I am not able to type it up but search here for the method and obviously be patient and careful. There is a test mode as a startup option, search manual for info on that

Test mode shows 0 errors.

And yeah, I’m not really that concerned about the wobble itself. It’s just the fact that the seller lied about it that makes me not trust anything else about him.

I mean it definitely sounds defective based on the pads. I’d be asking either for a partial refund (if you’re willing to keep it like that) or a return for sure

1 Like

It’s not inconceivable that the seller’s work surface and yours are slightly differently curved.

You may be able to loosen the screws on the AR and allow the case to flex a little.

I have the same issue and I bought from new

Try it on a marble surface, if you have the same issue it is a defect, if not it is your surface specially if it is wood.

Same issue on 3 different surfaces, but again, this is the least of my concerns with the unit.

True, maybe he’s not a liar. But do you think it’s conceivable he didn’t know about the other issues, specifically the pads?

Obviously, I have no knowledge.

I hope it works out for you if you seek redress.

How does it work with reverb, do they provide any buyer protection? That is one positive of ebay - not sure I’ve ever had to involve them but I’ve bought faulty gear and always had it resolved to my satisfaction

I honestly didn’t mean to sound snarky there. I really want to believe that people are good, but I’ve had nothing but bad interactions on Reverb and am obviously biased so I’m just trying to get outside perspective.

1 Like

not so - i had a perfectly flat box get sent to elektron and it returned wobbly - i flattened it in 5 seconds - the case can warp for many reasons and it can become flexed in transit -it is not a sign of any significance nor malevolence, it happens, it;'s trivial to rectify, it’s a non issue, it’s not a defect

Edit: Reverb provides buyer protection including return shipping in the case you buy something that wasn’t as advertised. But I wanted some perspective from people here before I take action. And worst case scenario I can call my credit card company and have them reverse the charges.

1 Like

I have this issue on both mk2 and mk1
Not normal

So if issues 1-3 aren’t user error, is this a known issue with a known fix? My searches didn’t find anything. I’m not willing to use this AR as is, but if there’s something I can do to fix it I’d be willing to try.

The switches might benefit from a clean, they may be dirty/sticky - but effective cleaning would need some products and care - but the switches could be damaged/lifed and teh more you mash it hard the worse it gets - both these are a simple parts replace for a modest electronic repair technician or skilled hobbyist - the pads i am not so sure about, in terms of teh risk of making matters worse in attempting to do anything about that - almost certainly one to run past support, if only to get an idea of potential costs

on balance, unless it was a total steal, it may be one to pass on - especially because you can’t know exactly what is wrong - they appear all the time anyway

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate the response.

It definitely wasn’t a steal. Average going rate. I may just buy a new mk2 and be done with used gear at this price.