AR Analog Rytm feature request thread

I really wish the rytm had a sample rate knob instead of a bit rate knob for sample degradation. You get far more interesting results and it gives the filter more interesting harmonics to chew on… Hopefully this is considered for an update feature.

7 Likes

Elektron Please consider this easy fix that would make the machines so much more playable:

I’ll be shocked if this hasn’t mentioned already but just in case:

-A real pattern select mode that doesn’t time out!!!! Seriously. w.t.f.

In a live jam or performance situation, most people wan to use the 16 keys for pattern selection, not step editing. It makes no sense to make the pattern select option time out, requiring you to perform an awkward combo for selecting a pattern, with the added risk of hitting the wrong bank button and messing everything up… In a live situation you really want one finger operation, as it is all too easy to get this wrong in the heat of the moment.

This feature is really basic which is maybe why it has escaped elektron’s attention… If you don’t change patterns often in your style of playing , consider that many others do.

The concern about people accidentally changing patterns and losing kit edits is moot. Simply make “Reload kit on change” disabled by default, or put an option in the settings for having the pattern select mode latch or time-out, and make it time-out by default… but I don’t think the Rytm is a beginner’s drum machine, so such concerns shouldn’t override essential features such as this.

I can’t imaging this simple change in the OS would take more than a few hours to implement but it would add a whole other dimension of playability to ALL Elektron machines with a sequencer.

9 Likes

Yeah, they should just make “Track + Pattern” or “Retrig + Pattern” bring up the pattern menu with no countdown timer. Seems like a no-brainer.

4 Likes

I was quite suprised to see such a small limit of locks allowed on performance & scenes. I set up a low pass pad and high pass pad and I was pretty much out of locks. seems a waste of a feature.

anyways, it would be great to have a master filter so you could low or high-pass the whole unit at once.
or ctrl-all would be amazing.

that would free up the scenes for less taxing changes.

4 Likes

There is a bug at least on the Mk1. sometimes is shows the “LOCK MEMORY FULL” message for a pattern where there has been some trig adding and removing but it goes away if you turn the machine off and back on.

Woops - I just re-read your comment and you’re talking about performance and scene locks so it’s probably unrelated.

1 Like

Hi,

I was thinking that on the AR mk1 and A4 mk1 it could be really useful to do [Page] + [Bank A/B/C/D] to quickly jump to a page of the pattern.

What do you think guys?

Alex.

1 Like

Hi,

I use Muli Map a lot on my Analog Four, not just for pattern change but for a lot things.

I would love to see this implemented on the RYTM as well (and don’t forget to add remote transport functions with it :wink:

Cheers,
Gustavo

4 Likes

On the sample-page: play-direction could be not just only forward one-shot & forward-loop, but also backward one-shot & loop, ping-pong one-shot & loop

i think i posted this some time ago

1 Like

Ping Pong could be interesting for fast loops, for not too fast loops it can be simulated modulating the END with a Square LFO)

Backward one shoot and loop can be achieved with the current set of controls.

2 Likes

How?

reverse your start/end points for a backward one-shot
ping pong one shot and loop can be achieved using plocks and trigs

1 Like

Hi Noisebuddy,

To get Backward just set the Start parameter higher than the End, .i.e Start, 20 End 10. Then if you activate Loop you’ll get a backward loop 20 - 10.

PingPong is not that simple and not that perfect, just set Start and End on the middle of the “loop” then modulate the End parameter with a Square LFO, use an amount equal to the value set on Star End. Try different speeds and amounts.

Good luck!

EDIT: If you use Sine or Tri waves on the LFO you’ll probably get cool effects due to an “Aliasing/moire” like principle.

EDIT2: The result of modulating the END is not a real ping pong loop. The sample is actually playing the second half forward and the first half backwards. May be an interesting effect in some situations.

3 Likes

Make the OS OpenSource.

Elektron builds great hardware. The software is great too - but it could be orgasmic with no additional cost for Elektron. Just share it.

Elektron is building synths with sequencers. No rocket science from a developers standpoint, there is nothing another company couldn’t copy if they really want to, if they have the sourcecode or not. So there is no loss in sharing the code.

But there could be other developers contributung to the code. Users on this forum could pay developers for individual features. And Elektron could copy&paste cool new features into the official version for free.

What would be the disadvantage?

5 Likes

May be I’m wrong but I think that while functions can be replicated, the programing approach, it’s implementation, shortcuts, optimization, etc., aren’t that easy to copy. All that can make a big difference on the final result. While big tech companies can reverse engineering Elektron’s hardware/software, that’s not that easy for small companies, indie developers, etc. If Elektron releases the source code, that means that any one could use all that for free for their own projects.

I d love to see the waveform of the sample (like Digitakt)

7 Likes

Yes, agreed. More fine grained control of sample start/end points would also be desirable, but I don’t see either being added.

1 Like

Maybe the waveform can be seen in overbridge?

It is as I remember, but I really like that ascetic approach, too often we make music with eyes, not ears :wink:

Visual feedback on compression and waveform does help me

1 Like

I would love the ability to create paratrig linear ramps.
I was thinking you start by pressing the first trig, then press the target trig twice.
This will fill in all the trig in between these two and initiate ramp mode, if you now turn parameter knobs, locks will get created from the value on the first trig, up or down to the last trig in linear fashion, resulting in ramps.
So you can do velocity ramps like 10, 20, 30, 40, 50
Or open up a hihat by ramping up the decay 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 etc.

Once these trigs are in place you can ofc remove some of them again for effect.

1 Like