API for Overbridge?

I am new to the Elektron world (recently purchased a Digitakt), but I expect that there is a pretty large overlap between Elektron users and computer programmers, based on the Elektron workflow, which (at least for me) aligns really well with algorithmic thinking.

It would be amazing if Elektron considered creating a simple API for its user base. This could be very beneficial in that the user community would likely create and share content that could greatly enhance or improve workflows, which would in turn be of value for Elektron. Much of the software platforms used for CAD, for example, have extensive APIs and active user-communities who produce tools that significantly enhance the original product.

Are there any other users who could imagine applicability for this?

While I can see the applicability, I‘d be very surprised (as in hell freezing over) to see this happen. Elektron haven‘t been very forthcoming with file formats and such in the past to put it mildly. Any third party software that exists to my knowledge is based on reverse engineering.

3 Likes

There was a push for this when OB had all those set backs and there wasn’t a beta yet. I would like to see them provide API tools for users, but it doesn’t seem like a very Elektron move to give users that ability.

Looks like it’s supposed to freeze over tonight :joy::

4 Likes

I can only second that. Elektron has a real bad track record for even publishing simple specs like sysex specs for their machines (with one quite old exception).

To make it really usable for “normal” programmers who doesn’t have a lot of lowlevel system programming knowledge the API docs wouldn’t help that much, but it will need to be more like a development toolkit (USB-level transport specs/driver specs/crossplatform lib to access the drivers/demo code etc.pp.).

And that, I fear, will never happen.

I see this requested here a lot. Is it common practice for other music hardware manufacturers to do this?

I’ve really only seen korg do this with a few items, and maybe a handful of diy synth manufacturers.