Anyone want an OT 2 with an internal SSD drive, OLED screen?

Every company out there should treat the feature request thread of every machine as the holy grail!If they satisfy the majority of the request they have a clear winner!OT’s successor must be a features bomb IMHO!I would pay the extra bucks hands down…Seems AKAI with their latest machines they’ve done exactly that…They’ve listened to their customers and only thing that remains now is if they can deliver a bug free experience.

1 Like

Or a big unfocused mess. Thankfully Elektron is one of those companies that do what they want regardless of user requests, so their machines are usually interesting, challenging and unexpected.

2 Likes

A great user interface is a language and creating one a very delicate balancing act. Elektron kicks ass at this tight rope walk, and thank God they are NOT a feature factory. Instruments that provide you this fluency don’t go obsolete, regardless of what they look like on paper. I would rather have the beautifully engineered OT over a tablet + pad controller mashup in a box, covered in rainbow vomit, any day of the week.

3 Likes

I didn’t said they should create something complex or confusing.I’ve talked about features…A machine doesn’t need to be complex to satisfy.I own a DSI Tempest and i’m amazed by the simplicity and deep design architecture of it.I imagine the OT 2 to be more than a sampler…My dream would be a Tempest + Octatrack= OT 2.That would be a kick ass machine!

Cheers!

Elektron make some great os/ui decisions but they fumble/omit some really big (and small) stuff too. Wouldn’t hurt em to take user requests onboard a little more often :wink:

And AH is WAY less interesting than it could have been if they weren’t kinda stubborn about things…

For sure, they’re not perfect, maddeningly close sometimes but with flaws.

I was just thinking of that (Steve Jobs?) mantra: the people don’t know what they want until you give it to them.

2 Likes

Well, they have a good group of beta testers, artists I respect deeply and some of whom I know personally (though they keep their NDA’s :)). THEIR requests are probably not going unnoticed.

1 Like

i love my ot
if only it could have a screen replacement
oled and maybe touch
someone could hacked with a different OS?
(no bug of course)

Would also be awesome to make 2 form factors of a new OT. The regular Elektron format with 4X audio inputs/outputs (live) and a studio version with 8X audio inputs/outputs and other controls like 8X faders + encoders.

Just one new octatrck would be fine. But soon

Agreed. Also, FWIW, I hope they don’t put a touch screen on anything. The OT’s screen could use better resolution perhaps, but no touch stuff, please :wink:

One thing I greatly appreciate is Elektron’s design aesthetic doesn’t lean toward the “rainbow vomit” physicality of some other boxes. Perfectly understated (especially the OT).

1 Like

Here is my modest list of upgrades which integrates some existing features from other elektron products. Nothing over the top in my opinion.

Required

• Add the pads from the rytm (colors not required just the pads)
  • Add extra pair of outputs
  • Change to SD slot

Nice to have
-Ability to change sampling resolution to 12bit (im from the old school)
-Add analog filter from the analog series even if its only on the main outs to keep the price down

I would rather not have an oled screen because these are sometimes susceptible to burn-in.

Think I’ve written this about 20 times since in various threads but oh well :wink:

Slice to transient
Polyphonic tracks
Ability to Save/load tracks like patches.
Tape/vinyl sim and amp sim fx
Name tracks
Separate outs or ability to record separate stems real-time onboard then export.
Sample layering.
Trig conditions
128 max steps sequencer or some kind of straight forward workaround for long passages.
Sequencer record note-off info
Simpler looper (this might be OK as is, just didn’t gel with it yet on brief tries…)
More sample ram. Though I don’t remember ever hitting limit…
Name/save/load scenes
Analog distortion. Guessing Elektron will be stingy in this area in future tho as they want to sell Heats.
More digital filter types.
An analog filter.
Battery/portable.

Pretty happy with hardware UI how it it to be honest. Touchscreen wouldn’t hurt for placing initial rough slice points and onscreen keyboard/browsing/pattern editing (polyphonic piano roll) tho…

4 Likes

Good list. I’d add inter-track modulation and a routable envelope detector.

4 Likes

Ha!

Agreed, good list. And I would also love to see an envelope follower in the OT, especially if it can be used to trigger steps within a given track or on other tracks (like the neighbor trig condition tripped off by a comparator on the envelope follower). If I can dream out loud further :

• Sidechain compressor with key in via audio inputs or other internal audio tracks
  • One-shot MIDI trigs
  • An LFO mode that restarts the cycle at pattern start (not when tracks within the pattern return to step 1) and then loops indefinitely, so we can use the LFO designer for more long-form automation
  • 64 or more steps in the LFO designer
  • More scales than just major and natural minor, perhaps custom scales in an interface similar to the LFO and arp designers
  • LFO modulation of track playback direction or active step, maybe like slice selection of “MIDI samples”
  • Step skipping (eg jump from step 3 to 5 without a rest) and step repeats (not ratcheting, but repeats of a step without advancing the sequencer on a track, like on the Metropolis)
  • Sample retrigs that retrigger the amp and filter envelopes
  • Crossfades within a track (release stage can bleed into the attack stage without necessarily hitting 0 amplitude)
  • A4/AK envelopes, or at least exponential decay
  • Crossfader response curve adjustment
  • Parameter locking of all the parameters 1 menu layer deep (eg, LFO waveform or playback mode), like on the Analogs
  • LFO phase adjustment, fade in/out, etc like on the Analogs
  • Quicker track mutes without holding down another key or switching to the mixer page
  • Audio and midi track solos
  • A mixer page where the encoders map to adjust the track levels
  • Pattern reload like on the Analogs
  • Global allocation of all available LFOs (like on the MD)
  • Trig conditions that can be modified by scenes
  • MIDI track parameter lock slides
  • Latching for the chromatic keys mode
  • Tempo-unlinked audio-rate LFOs , as on the Analogs
  • .mid file import and export for MIDI tracks
  • Record multitimbral MIDI to multiple tracks at once
  • Storage and recall of chords
  • Different velocities per note in polyphony
  • Swing on the arp
2 Likes
  • p-lock for program change on MIDI tracks
  • Probability trigs as on Rytm for tracks, incl MIDI
  • full color multi touch screen
  • velocity sensitive pads with scales and chords
  • 4 voice polyphony per track
  • Overbridge integration
  • 128 GB SD card compatibility
  • USB connection for MIDI controller and SSD
  • transient detection for loop slicing
  • real time time stretching
1 Like

So you want a Mpc Live, to sum up.
A sampler with linear midi seq.

For plocks PC I use Event Processor +.
With 3 Lfos, you can have interesting randomness as conditional trigs.
A touch screen would be too big on an Elektron size.
If you have a usb midi controller pluged maybe you don’t need pads.
You already have 4 voices in Ot ! 8 would be better with different note length (linear seq).
You already have real-time time stretch !

I’d like Usb connection, OB (I don’t use in A4), numerical audio i/o, auto chop too. :wink:

1 Like

He wants an MPC with less voices :grin:

1 Like

I don’t understand why people that don’t seem to understand how to use the OT are asking for an OT2. I’m curious about what the perceived limitations of the OT are… and why they warrant an OT2?

2 Likes