Anyone want an OT 2 with an internal SSD drive, OLED screen?

Nope, it works just fine with DIN MIDI as well! I can get a reliable x10 TURBO between my AR and OT every time I activate it :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

The tempo is x10 too ? :grin:
What differences did you notice ?
Otherwise it is not reliable ? :confused:

??? I meant it works fine with DIN MIDI and I can get a tenfold increase in MIDI bandwidth between the AR & OT. The same would work between OT & MD or OT & MNM as well I reckon.

1 Like

So what are the noticeable differences with normal midi ?

1 Like

Let me say the Octatrack is one of the greatest musical instruments EVER created, so well-thought out and designed.
I am not suggesting it lacks anything.

However I canā€™t help but wonder, now that Elektron is getting deeper into making analog gear if there wonā€™t come along a successor to the Octatrack which incorporates these analog goodies somehow. I guess thereā€™s the Analog RYTM but unlike the Octatrack one can not sample into it directly or chop and manipulate those sample the way the Octatrack can.

I just imagine an Octatrack w/ analog EQ/filters/effects, CV gates and think that would be amazing.

Thereā€™s lots of hardware related things Iā€™d like to see improved and brought up to date in the OT. But the last thing it lacks is anything analog. Analog is just another marketing buzzword. I couldnā€™t care less about analog and IMO Elektron has never been particularly great at analog sound and circuitry.

Thatā€™s a large part of their equipment right now, funny you donā€™t like the Analog character.

Iā€™m personally becoming very fond of it, especially for the A4 now that I have found some impressive immersive sweet spotsā€¦ To the point where Iā€™m actually really considering an Heat :heart_eyes_cat:

OT2 or whatever, there is a void left by the silver machinesā€¦ The round in the water is still here, but I canā€™t wait for the next box :tongue:

1 Like

Iā€™ve always thought that an Octatrack re-released as a lighter, smaller, battery powered self with Overbridge would be an attractive product. Something that fits perfectly in your lap with a curved, OP-1 look. It would keep the current owners from feeling outdated.

You could even ditch the input/outputs a bit so that the bigger version is still viable, replace them with overbridge features and drop the price a bit. I suppose that part would make more sense if the current version had a couple more in/outs like the new MPCs.

The most obvious development would be an Octa Mk II with analog circuitry (filter, distortion, perhaps compression) and Overbridge compatibility.

CV/gate ā€“ maybe, but that might impair sales of A4.

An analog sampler ! With tapes ? :grin:

http://a395.idata.over-blog.com/275x300/3/97/48/01/Les-formats-audionumeriques/Studer-D820-48.jpg

1 Like

totally, the filter/distortion/compression thatā€™s used in RYTM would be great to have in the OTā€¦

I donā€™t think CV out would hurt the A4 as that is an actual synthesizer, OT should stick to itā€™s heritage as a sampler/sequencer. OT already sequences via MIDI, adding CV seems a natural addition to me.

I agree w/ you @LyingDalai Elektronā€™s analog instruments, filters and effects sound very nice to my ears. I just got the Analog Heat and am I so impressed w/ the distortion circuits and filters and what it can do to any sound source I put through it.

Iā€™d prefer a better midi sequencer with more polyphony, overdub, linear possibilities, a Multi Map to control sounds via midi, more outputs, better effects, more audio tracks, numerical in/out.
Just have to add an Mpc Live apparently. :sketchy:
I think Iā€™ll buy an AH first !

2 Likes

Youā€™re on team Digital, Respectā€¦ There is also team Analog.
Weā€™re allowed to go play on both teams, but team Digital will never convince team Analog to change its ways, nor will team Analog ever convince team Digital.
We must learn to coexist peacefullyā€¦

4 Likes

Already split. :wink:
Nowadays most everything musical is stored digitally, and to listen to it has to be analog.
Both team for me, I really like A4ā€™s very fast digital control of its analog circuitry.

I am in no team. I have tons of analog gear and I love it. I am not saying analog is bad. I am saying Elektrons analog offerings donā€™t convince me. I sold my A4 for that reason. Whatā€™s great about the A4 is the sequencer and the FX. None of which is analog.

The OT needs a better screen, better DAW integration, more IO, stronger DSP. What it doesnā€™t need is an analog chorus and silly stuff like that.

This is why I said were allowed to play on both teams. Perhaps as I you walk the line between the analog digital yin yang, although I admit I do hang out on the analog side a lot. I am merely stating in a playful way that in this particular reference regarding an OT2, you seem to be on the digital tip ā€œAnalog is just another marketing buzzword. I couldnā€™t care less about analogā€ā€¦
I for one would love some yummy analog cream to juice up an OT2ā€™s sample playback to get it sounding like the rytmā€™s sample playback or better!
But like I said, weā€™ll never get to the bottom of thisā€¦
Respectā€¦

So are we, or are we not expecting an OT MKII at NAMM next week?

Uh, theyā€™ve barely showed the Analog Heat or Analog Drive to the public. Overbridge for the Heat was just released like 2-3 weeks ago. Be prepared to watch a lot of videos of Cenk talking about that first.

Yaay ?