Anyone want an OT 2 with an internal SSD drive, OLED screen?

i tried to go down this hardware life… and i’ve ended up with ableton live (full version M4L) and a push 2… you could… i guess. buy a wacom cintiq touch… and have that next to a push 2… oh and a good I/O and mixer… it expensive… but its crazy powerfull. ( i do not have a cintiq touch )

i ended up selling off my most of my hardware. (other then my rytm… to much love)… and then using live / push2 and reaktor. yes… i have to use my mouse. the horror.
but its more or less some super crazy audio modular crazy thing now. so many good M4L and reaktor tools.
i get wanting limitations. but really. you can self impose them if you want.
i feel like when i had all the hardware. i didn’t have any ideas… now that i have ideas… i don’t need all the hardware…

(again though i love my rytm to death. to much fun. )

2 Likes

Ok I got you. You would like midi scenes, to interpolate midi Ccs of midi tracks with the crossfader, right ? I wish it too but I think it is not that easy.

I can do it with my Bs3x midi controller, with many values. I saw another smaller controller than do it, I don’t remember with one.

gugabox Morph4 by our very own guga :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

At first I thought it would cost more then a laptop + DAW and it will never happen.
However… it’s not that unrealistic. They would need to write some really basic form of DAW and use embedded multitasking OS on some form of ARM chip (like RPi) for editing and polyphonic playback. For realtime audio processing they could use what is already used in OT.

That being said that device wouldn’t make my music automagically any better, so I don’t wait for it :slight_smile:

Thanks mate, I’m diving into it in a few minutes, just gotta bring the computer back in the music room, it’s in a box since 6 months when I got the OT loaded with 1gb of own samples…

just thinking about it gives me headache ah ah, it’s a hackintosh and I hope it will boot fine, then plug the midi interface, audio interface… (edirol um550, motu pci 24i/o), configure ableton and the OT… damn, I was really comfortable with the OT alone these last months!

I’ll come back when it’s done and tested :slight_smile:

back to the topic, I also think an OT2 is not a real need, but it would be nice, would it not?

midi scenes, more complex arranger with automations, moar mangler effects à la Gotharman, more open mind project management, scene controlable pickup machine tracks, OB feature, USB host, maybe some stem bouncing batch processing (OB?)…

anyway if OT2 never comes out, I agree OT1 is still the most incredible and powerful sample machine for composition and live gear!! I can imagine me still using it 10 years from now!

yeah sure, external controllers are there that offer this :slight_smile: but it should be on the OT. i dont think that this is hard to implement. the scenes can access the parameters on audio tracks; why not on MIDI-tracks? looks the same for me, just different names. but then again - im not a programmer, i have no clue how scenes were implemented internally …

Yes that’s the Morph4 I was thinking about.

I’m a programmer (but obviously I haven’t worked on the OT, so beware) and I think it would be pretty simple to do scenes with MIDI if you could just enter in the CC number and range you want applied, and the OT would spread those values evenly across the fader. But you ain’t going to be changing no 72 parameters at the same time. MIDI only has so much bandwidth. It wouldn’t take very many parameters before it started interfering with timing. I suspect that’s why they didn’t implement MIDI scenes.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty much inevitable that Elektron will release another DPS and retire the OT. They already have the OT code that they can build on, they already have the experience of building the OT, they have the niche in the sampler market that they created with the OT (second in popularity only to the MPC line…mmmaybe?), and there are so many ways they could improve upon the ideas of the OT if they had update hardware with higher CPU speeds, more memory, more drivespace, lower cost components, etc. And the electronic music market is only getting bigger. It seems like a no-brainer to me. It might not be this year or next year, but they will sooner or later.

To me the only question is: what direction are they going to take it?

3 Likes

You meant “Midi has not so much bandwith” ?
You’re right if we could plock to scenes all midi track CCs it would be a midi mess !

It would be enough if it was only 2 Midi parameters. Just a filter cut off and a release parameter or a modulation wheel can go a long way. Why not let the users decide if they want to choke their Midi stream or not?

1 Like

Because people would say It does not work…

I mean it has a limited amount of bandwidth. Yeah. I’m not sure how many continuous streams of CC messages you could send, but I’m thinking it’s gotta be less than 5.

OT MK2 with stereo tracks, SSD, conditional trigs, and some other doodads would make me buy one instantly!

You already can buy an Ot Mk1 because it has stereo tracks, a CF up to 64 Go, and enough Lfos to randomize Trigs level and retrigger. :sunny:

1 Like

yeah, but I’d personally settle for MIDI scenes for TURBO-enabled midi devices only :diddly:

Ever since I discovered the TURBO mode, I’ve thought that elektron would do well to spam it / endorse it as much as possible. Imagine if all future music gear from most manufacturers with DIN MIDI I/O Could also utilize TURBO - a tenfold increase in bandwidth, with full backwards compatibility and no need for new connectors nor cables!

Yeah, it’s definitely not too soon for an update to MIDI. It sucks that they didn’t incorporate speed negotiation into the standard so it could always run at whatever both machines can handle.

I want an OT 2 with the A4/AR’s screen. :wink:

1 Like

Turbo midi only works for Usb no ?