Anyone using Virus synths?

Hey, I currently have an analog/VA shaped gap in my setup, and have heard great things about the Access Virus synths - specifically the Indigo 2 would fit my setup, it’s based on the Virus C. My only concern is that it’s from 1999 and potentially doesn’t stand up well to modern VSTs, so I was looking for some opinions.

Does it sound good? Is it flexible? Is it easy to program? Would you recommend something else instead?

Thanks!

i have a virus ti and is superb , with a distinctive sound. has its own interface and its own software (like overbridge) to control the hardware. Not only the sound is impressive but the effects are incredible amazing . Probably the most complete and versatile synthesizer ever in my humble opinion. But i recommend you to hear how sounds in youtube or other multimedia sources. This is of course a matter of taste.

1 Like

Virus KC user since 2000 and it’s still quite a relevant and versatile synth and for WAY more than the stereotypical ‘Trance’ that the Virus gets labeled with. Great FX and Arps and one of the best keybeds. It may not have the USB integration thing going but has an extensive midi set-up. I like the lay out on the Virus C as the FX and Arp controls are much more accessible than on previous incarnations of Virus.

However, with that said, my Waldorf Q (full Q) eats the Virus C for breakfast but they compliment each other and why I have both.

I’ve owned a Virus TI II (Whiteout edition) since 2010, and still find it extremely useful due to the variety of synthesis methods and built in effects. Also makes an excellent master keyboard controller for my set up.

I don’t think there is something like a VA gap. That said I have an Indigo 2 in my setup and use it quite often. The quality of the hardware is top, you will have a hard time to find a better built synth.

Yes. You have to like the sound, though. It’s on the darker side with a digital touch.

Yes, lot’s of modulation possibility.[quote=“Anfim, post:1, topic:30226”]
Is it easy to program?
[/quote]

Kind of. While it has a lot of knobs there are still many functions hidden in menus.
One overseen feature: the keyboard has master keyboard functionality. You can split it and send on different MIDI channels. I use that with my Monomachine to play on the lower keys and transpose sequencer on the upper keys.

The Virus is a modern digital classic and holds pretty much it’s value. Give it a shot.

P.S. an online HTML5 Patchlibrarian for Virus and others.

2 Likes

Virus TI here. (used to have a Virus C, upgraded to have effects per part, instead of global reverb/delay) Exteremely competent synth. Wide variety of uses. Main/only synth live. Great workhorse in the studio.

I have TI2 desktop. I used it more regularly a couple of years ago, but decided to not sell it because I like it and it fills a certain niche that I know I will want again some time. I found that I used it more like a VST instrument than an interactive synth, but that was okay.

Have owned a TI Polar for last 8 years, can’t say a bad thing about it. I sequence it with a Squarp Pyramid and avoid the USB outs as I think the analogue outs are pretty hot.
The modulation options are mind boggling and having 16 parts makes it incredible powerful.
It can sound very analogue.

the one thing I never sold (and maby will never sell) is my Virus A. Still have it since early 2000 and it´s still working. Used it a lot in my live sets and tracks for duby techno Chords. Sounds a little bit thin compared to A4

Virus B user here. I got it in 2001 and I still use it and love it. The presets are dated (mostly Trance sounds) but the synth engine can be program to make any modern sounds you want. It’s great at doing fat stabs and pads and nasty leads.

I have a Virus B and I like it a lot. It’s built like a tank, and has so many options. So much nicer to have the hardware than a VST.

TI desktop owner here. I always program my patches from an INIT patch and I do not enjoy doing so from the front panel. I always use the TI software to build patches and then use the knobs on the Virus during performance. It’s a workhorse synth and the mod matrix is substantial enough that I can usually make the sound that I’m looking for. I second the comment about it being good for dubby techno. You can design nice and wide delays on this thing. :slight_smile:

Ive got a software clash using a mac with my virus and overbridge,; if i want to connect to my daw with the virus and use it as a usb keyboard and be able to use the virus vst i have to uninstall overbridge or the virus drivers wont load.

I cant use analog heat and the virus together in a daw, which is a bit disappointing.

The virus and heat go together very nicely and program changes are reasonably quick if you sequence it with a digitakt but I need to play with that combination a bit more.

Great synth imo

I have a Virus Snow which is great and I far prefer TI to OB (nicer GUI and browser plus a smaller CPU hit with per track FX).
I don’t have a problem using TI and A4 OB together on my Win 10 PC (though I use neither as a soundcard).

I ordered a new ti2. Will get it soon. Did not find a “better” digital Synth. Hope there will be a new generation of digital synths…

yeh why not… just rock the ones you can find until something new and improved comes along

Waldorf synths prior to the liquidation are the cream. Imho Virus C desktop user here and it does the job nicely. Multitimbral use is important for me. it does take a bit of menu diving swapping between patches to change parameters like volume but midi spec allows for remote control from any standard midi controller.
Sounds compare to analog well, lots of drive and character in saturation models. Is not completely intuitive to program so get comfy with the manual. Good deals on second hand units to be had.