Anyone using two analog 4's

Just debating on another Elektron box, was considering Monomachine or rytm (already got the a4) however I read a post recently , think it was adamjay said he was getting better drums from his a4 than his rytm. Was wondering if two a4’s would be cool. Maybe use one for drums and the other for synths plus would give me 4 inputs and effects and maybe connect more cv synths etc. Anyone doing this ?

4 Likes

I was, and still am, but I didn’t sell my Rytm.

Was wondering if two a4’s would be cool.

If the question is A4 vs Rytm, I choose A4.
But if the question is 2x A4 vs A4+Rytm, I choose A4+Rytm.

Rytm + A4 is a wonderful combo. You can sample your A4 drums for use in Rytm, and you’ll have more voices with that combo. And the perf+scene modes in Rytm just set it over the top.

9 Likes

Cheers for that Adam. At least that rules out one equation. Now just got to decide on either rytm or Monomachine. Any thoughts ? I just got a microbrute for my A4 and it’s great for an additional track but glad I didn’t spend a lot on a Boomstar or similar. Just need this final piece now. Also considering the Tanzbar as an alternative. Any experience with one of these ?

I think it would be really, really smart for Elektron to add some kind of polychain ability for the Four/Keys…ideally standalone, but if nothing else via Overbridge. I bet you’d start to see a lot of 2xA4/AK setups…more sales…hint hint guys :wink:

3 Likes

I think it depends on the features you like the most.
MM + Nord Drum 2 is super powerful, but you don’t get polyrhythms, micro timing, or an A4 style “sounds” browser.

Rytm is a beast with sample playback and macros, but doing synth work is limited because of the single filter, single LFO.

So I own both MM and AR. Both are powerful and different enough and I didn’t want to have to choose.
Need to upgrade my Nord Drum 1 to v2.

Are you a synthest by nature? MM speaks most to those types.

I suppose I’m a bit short of both drums and synths which is why I was looking at these two. I realise the rytm is a drum machine that can do limited synthesis and the MM is a synth that can do do limited drums. I currently use an LXR for drums however it is a bit limited for bread & butter type drum sounds. Do you reckon the MM or RYTM would go better with my LXR ?. The rytm appeals because I sort of know what I’m getting with already having the A4. As others have said the sound seems very ‘production ready’ if you know what I mean. With the Monomachine I realise it is an older piece of kit that perhaps doesn’t have that sort of ‘professional sheen’ of the rytm if you know what I mean however the synthesis element does appeal. And I’m thinking if I get a Monomachine it will broaden my palate of sounds compared to getting a similar product to a4 like the rytm. I notice on your latest videos you are using a lot of Monomachine, would you say this was your favourite ?

A4 is my favorite, followed by MM, followed by AR.

I like composing on A4, exploring on MM, and performing on AR.

The great thing about MM is you have that bonus 6 track midi sequencer. So if you do find yourself still lacking in drums (which, it really depends on the kind of music you’re doing), you can just add a low cost drum module to be sequenced by MM. That’s what I’m doing with Nord Drum.

So that expansion capability is nice to have, and it doesn’t only apply to drums.

As you already have an LXR, you probably don’t need another drum machine.
And you could do some fun midi LFO stuff with MM feeding your LXR midi.
Since LXR already has polyrhytms, the fact that MM doesn’t have that capability is less of a loss.

What kind of music are you making?
Do you like to build sounds from the ground up or take pre-sets and mold them to suit?

I’ve really been thinking of having two Analog Fours… One as a straight up poly synth and the other for groovebox goodness. Hmm… Hmm. :alien:

3 Likes

Cheers Adam. Yeah think I am more of a preset kind of guy, finding something that sort of fits and then tweaking rather than starting from scratch, which potentially could be a problem with the MM because as far as I am aware it doesn’t have presets just different synthesis types. Can you actually save individual sounds on the MM or are your creations stored with the pattern ? As for music I have made a conscious decision to go with techno, probably similar type of stuff to the music you make. Been out the game for a while so virtually starting from scratch again. I used to use grooveboxes eg mc303, rm1x etc then switched to laptop, eventually got bored and stopped completely. I have done nothing of note for maybe 10 years then decided to get into it again this year but decided I would be hardware only. Gradually building up a small studio and trying to make some tough choices on gear, especially when there are not many places that have the gear you are interested in avaible to try eg Elektron stuff (never seen any in the music shops I have been in) . Still I think I am getting there.

I actually use 2 a4k. Just in this fashion. Sometimes its nice having 8 monosynths…

here’s a really awful track using both a4k’s and a md

2 Likes

So with MM, your Kits house all your sounds. You get 128 (x 6 tracks) per “Snapshot” (same as “Project” in A4). If you have a +Drive model Monomachine, you have 128 Snapshots on the drive.

If you want to access a specific, already existing sound, you have to open the kit it is in, and copy it, then paste it into the Kit you want to use it in.
It’s not nearly as accessible as the Analog Four’s system, which is wonderful for sound browsing.

This isn’t a deal breaker, though. If anything it makes you a better synthesist, as you’ll be more inclined to build sounds from the ground up using the various synthesis machines. But, to start, it might be frustrating.

Rytm is a great drum machine for techno.
But if you are happy with LXR’s drum capabilities, then it really makes more sense to get another synth, and MM is quite different from A4, in all the right ways.

So basically when you get the MM you are virtually starting with a blank canvas. I gather it does have some preset kits potentially as a starting point as I have seen demo patterns on YouTube. Only problem I have with all this is having the time to learn it all !!! I suppose rytm would be easier to get to grips with as i sort of know the system and it does come with plenty of sounds already included. I can imagine I would be up and running much quicker with the rytm. Decisions, decisions. Here’s what I’m thinking, with rytm maybe I could do 1 or 2 melodic parts, basic bass sounds or something plus 6 parts for drums and soundlocks.
Then I got a4 and microbrute for synth parts and lxr for additional drums. Should be able to get something decent out of that, but Monomachine still looks cool, it’s just the learning curve that bothers me a bit.

Third option I’m still considering is Tanzbar. Looks fairly simple to learn, supposedly is the best sounding analogue drum machine and has some basic synths on board. Like the idea of every drum sound being available for tweaks and does parameter locks of sort. Cheaper too although build quality has been questioned !

Yea there are factory kits and patterns there, similar to what came stock in your A4.

Here’s what I’m thinking, with rytm maybe I could do 1 or 2 melodic parts, basic bass sounds or something plus 6 parts for drums and soundlocks.
Then I got a4 and microbrute for synth parts and lxr for additional drums. Should be able to get something decent out of that, but Monomachine still looks cool, it’s just the learning curve that bothers me a bit.

The Rytm is great for bass lines using single cycle Moog & Waldorf Pulse waveforms. The analog filters and overdrive pair very well for bass work.
For lead/melodic parts, I use the rim shot synth sometimes but mostly I use sampled hook sounds.

You’ll definitely get up and running fast with Rytm, as you already have an A4. Rytm’s compressor will make the LXR sound even better, too.

Im going that way but with 2 tempests, 2 A4s would be nice as well

Would love to try 2 T’s and 2 A4’s, less to remember as far as getting around interfaces.

Yeah thanks Adam. I got the pro’s and cons of both now. Just got to make a decision.
the way I see it, the rytm will be more immediate, great steady sound, and the mm will take more work but looks perhaps the more experimental box and could be a good contrast with the a4. Whatever I choose I’m sure I will love it anyway.

I have a AK + A4 and I’m VERY satisfied with the drum-sounds I can create.
I’ve been thinking about a Rittem but I’m afraid of the sample-part and I like selfcontained instruments - not being dépendent on samples and cards . Maybe it’s a stupid fear but I’m not so good in organising and I dont’t use a computer. I still hope that Eletron makes a Analog Drummachine someday with more machines and deeper synthesis but without samples.
I’m even thinking about buying a second A4 but not soon - I first wanna see the evolution of future Elektron-machines and other brands. From all the Drum-machines I’ve heard until now there’s nothing that beats the A4. But I’ve never tried the Rittem to compare.
The only drum-sound I haven’t been able to craete to my satisfaction on the AK-A4 until now are Claps - but I like how drum-sounds can be made to evoluate into total other sounds and I’m an LFO-Freak :joy:
I never had the feeling of overkill - thanks to the very verstile synthesis-engine.And the Kicks you can get aut of this beast with 2 Filters … MAN :rage:
i’ve been sampling with my K 2500 and it’s a different way of working - not immediate - I wanna turn buttons without having to break my mind about sample-managing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Rytm + LXR do all my drums, its a great combo

Im going that way but with 2 tempests, 2 A4s would be nice as well

Would love to try 2 T’s and 2 A4’s, less to remember as far as getting around interfaces.
[/quote]
Two Tempests? Whoa man. :astonished:

1 Like

MM is a sonic laboratory. I was experimenting with 2x MM for a bit but it was overkill. I was in tooooo deep. hehe.

Rytm can offer some experimentation too, once you start layering tracks and using sample chains. And you can overcome the single LFO by just realtime recording parameter tweak. In fact, if you’re not rubbing up to or hitting the parameter lock limit, you’re Rytm’ing all wrong. :imp:

Well I have discovered there is an Elektron meet up in Leeds (UK) on the 15th August. Lots of set ups on show to have a look at. I am seriously considering going to this . Sounds great and would probably help me make up my mind.