Anyone using Elektron gear with iPads?

hi all,

I’m struggling to get my workflow sorted. I’m on an iPad Air 2, with Digitone connected via USB. Cubasis 2, Auria Pro, AudioBus, AUM, all these apps have independent issues, none are perfect.

I’d love to know how people are set up to record their Electron gear into iOS.
Especially interested in locking sync while recording.

Thanks

Sometimes I sync Drambo to OT via Midi DIN (iConnect 4) into Audiobus. Syncs well. I don’t use ant iOS DAWs - they sound too problematic, so I can’t be of help, but try these threads:

while nothing is perfect - I’ve had some success with ‘Midi Link Sync’ (appstore) & AUM and then fiddle about with the midi clock settings on your DN - also recommend using the offical Apple Camera connection kit so you can take advantage of the Elektron USB i/o.
As I recall I think I used something like AUM Link > Midi Link Sync > Elektron Midi but I may have this wrong. Obviously using Link is going to limit using Cubasis - so maybe try using LK to record the midi and send the Midi CC.

yeah I’ve got the camera kit gizmo, I’ll play around with MIDI Sync.

But generally speaking - I’m trying to record audio. And so far Auria Pro is awful (drop out every time), Cubasis 2 is ok but I have to go via AUM / Audiobus etc, Cubasis 3 is awful (drop out and latency issues), Beatmaker 3 can’t handle it.

Just hoping someone out there is having success hooking up their Digitone (or any elektron gear) into iOS and sync recording it fine.

I use an OT with an iPad, with Aum and synth apps.
The OT is driving the synths in Midi and i don’t need Midi Link since they’re launched in Aum and synced with the OT clock.

I tried recording once within Auria Pro and did not have problem. Transport and Clock were fine and no drop on iOS 11.3.1.
I had do make connections trough the Auria Matrix.

I’m in the same boat man, with M:C. Part of me wants to just say screw it and only use the iPad as a recording device, but then I feel like I’m missing out on a lot of functionality.

Haven’t quite figured this out yet, I’ve tried most of the same apps. GarageBand as well - there’s always some weird quirk in each app. I’m not totally convinced yet it’s not just a me problem lol…

All apps are not equally well developped, some won’t sync, or no Midi Learn. That’s the first thing i check with an app and if it doesn’t work I drop them.

So far no issues with IceGear apps, Audiokit apps (although no Midi Clock sync?!?), Su rizer, Patterning, Bassalicious, …

I connect iPad to my DT with DT as clock slave and the use AUM for start stop midi msg. Then my DT audio goes into DN - sp404 - Heat, so I treat the ipad paid basically as DT expansion. And sometimes I add the iPad at the end after the heat just as recorder with AudioShare. A major use for my iPad is to create artworks, master my jams with the Grand finale app and make quick video editing.

Midi Link Sync is extremely cheap and, I suppose, worth the experiment. For my context it turned out to be shockingly bad … tempos wandering between 50 - 150 while running. YMMV.

I discovered that turning on Ableton link in the apps I was already using worked FAR better.

Cubasis syncs well with Digitone from the start of the track, but if I skip ahead, it jumps out of sync. I can bear that.

It’s a pain that the DigiTone won’t show up directly in Cubasis, and I have to go via AUM. But fine.

Also the Models are supper buggy with iPad, constantly dropping out, to the extend that I don’t understand why they actually advertise the class compliant feature. I thought I might be able to make a couch combo Cycles-iPad and nothing worked. Sold the cycles, never looked back.

1 Like

For my limited purposes Midi Link Sync works - it will keep the DT and AUM at the same tempo. What I’ve so far not been able to acheive is transport syncing say BM3 or AUM with the DT, which I can see might be a deal breaker for many. Hopefully Elektron is just putting the finishing touches on Overbridge for iOS…

The biggest issue you have is the iPad itself. An air 2 just can’t handle much in the way of modern audio apps.

Have you looked at the tensor app for cycles?

Have seen it yeah! Have yet to purchase though. Was thinking I’d sit with it first and get my head around the workflow as standalone, which wasn’t too much of a mission, so maybe it’s time. Plus it always good to throw iOS devs a few bucks these folks are mostly doing it as a labor of love