Anyone using a Hackintosh setup?

Just as an update to this post, I did finally take the plunge back in April this year, and opted for the Hackintosh route, so any users out there needing some basic steer/advice, then feel free to ask.

Since the last post, I bought a MBP 2018, 6-core, 32gb RAM in October '18 - pretty much top spec, only to find it was overheating a lot, throttling power and generally a total disappointment for the huge amount of money it cost - I think the latest MBP update resolved much of these issues, but still, super expensive for a product with many inherent flaws.

For a little over £2000, I bought the parts and built a Hackintosh tower with a 32" 4k monitor, which has been as stable as any of my previous Mac’s over the last 15 years - Power Book G4 '05, MBP '11, Mac Mini '12 and MBP '18.

Here’s the spec for anyone that’s interested :

CPU - i9 9900k
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 Designare
GPU - Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse 8GB
RAM - HyperX 32gb 3600 Mhz
OSX Drive - 1tb Samsung 970 EVO NVME
WIN 10 Drive - 500 GB Samsung 860 SSD SATA 3

Everything works, inc. all motherboard internal and rear ports, case front ports, Thunderbolt 3 etc.

I’ve got a quiet case and silent aio cooling - it is literally silent, even on reasonably heavy simulated CPU loads, but to be honest, with music production, it barely breaks a sweat.

I have Win 10 installed on another internal drive so I can play games - this is where the CPU and GPU get a work out, but it’s still much quieter than my previous Mac hardware.

It’s very fast with OSX, but actually even quicker with WIN 10 - it’s great to have both OS’s and it’s as simple as choosing which OS to boot to on start up - this is using Clover boot loader, which is a very popular Hackintosh tool.

My Geekbench scores via OSX are:
Single Core - 6840
Multi Core - 39715

As a comparison, albeit they are starting to be a little outdated, the 14 core iMac Pro Geekbench scores are:
Single Core - 5192
Multi Core - 41344

I did make some silly errors when setting the machine up, but that’s because I didn’t follow instructions properly, so it did take me a week to figure it all out, but I could have actually done it in 1 day, so this isn’t as daunting an experience as it once was.

All my Elektron stuff works great with the machine and the new Mac OS Catalina can be installed - although I’m passing on this until at least a few more months of maturity.

In terms of longevity of use, Apple will need to support Intel x86 for at least another 5+ years before their ARM systems are more commonplace, so it’s still very much worth setting up a Hackintosh right now - if the idea floats your boat. Worst case, you can always fall back to Win 10 or Linux if and when Apple stop this support, but that’ll be nearer 2025 and it’ll be time to upgrade again then :wink:

Cheers

5 Likes

Hey @Jimbo did you follow Morgonaut’s recipe on this build? I’m srsly thinking about taking the plunge too…

Hi - yes, I used Morgonaut’s recipe and it works really well, I never have any issues with it. I did find her a bit hard to deal with at times, but she definitley knows her stuff and can resolve pretty much anything. As long as you buy the EXACT SAME hardware, the only other thing you need is the bios settings and EFI folder with all the Hackintosh drivers etc :slight_smile: