Anyone use an M1 Mac with a DAW yet?

Don’t want to start a new thread. Anybody using a combination of mac mini m1 and a ssl2 interface and could say something about the combo?
We are moving soon and I plan to go mainly itb until we find a house (4-5 years). I think I’ll get the combo for the time until.

Good timing on the bump.

My 2015 iMac is showing its age, and the PC I bought in March to replace it is no good for audio because, well, Windows, so it’s going to the loungeroom for games. Which means I still have to replace my iMac at some point.

Considering the M1 Mini, but have read some reports about dodgy bluetooth… Anyone got any experience with bluetooth peripherals on the new Minis?

I have a I7 (6 core mini) and while it works nicely I would not buy another Mini. I would get a laptop or iMac with the M1. You really don’t save much room with one. I suppose if you want a screen larger than 27" then the mini might make sense. Mine is 2 years old now and works fine on Mojave. But if I was to get a new computer I would opt for something else.

1 Like

I own a Mini M1 and a Macbook Pro M1, both installed with Monterey beta 6. The bluetooth problems I sometimes had with my bluetooth headphones and mouse(disconnecting) under Big Sur seems to be solved in Monterey. I know it’s too soon to make final conclusions but it looks like Apple has been working on these problems. Cross my fingers for the final Monterey version.

1 Like

Dual monitors is possible on the Mini, but not the laptop.

1 Like

Worked in IT Development for 25 years. Yep.

1 Like

I went M1 when I saw that video of the English guy running 1000+ plugins in Logic.

Works fine, haven’t been using Bluetooth for anything other than file transfer.

Everything is fine except Izotope hasn’t updated their software yet.

Moog made a wrapper for their iOS apps, haven’t tried it yet though.

Live 10, Reason 11, Logic 10, all working great with Waves, NI, and others.

1 Like

According to Macrumors:
“Apple is expected to release this new version of the Mac mini “in the next several months,” which is vague enough that it could mean either a late 2021 or early 2022 launch.”
There’s a video a little down.

I got a deal on a macbook air m1 8 gig which I mainly use for personal work.

I decided to install Ableton 11 on it, because why not, and it runs like a champ. Really impressive.

4 Likes

It’s not about space. Part of the reason why I want to go for the Mini is because it doesn’t have a screen—I don’t want to throw the whole thing away when I upgrade, like I’ll have to do with my current iMac, despite its screen being amazing. Also I can’t afford the new iMacs :stuck_out_tongue: I’m selling gear for this upgrade and I’d have to start ditching gear I love for anything more expensive (Erica Bassline is already cutting it fine!).

I already have a (2018) MBP which is still working well. The new computer will be for studio use only and as such will be plugged in to power at all times. The last Apple laptop I did that with ended up with an expanding battery, so I don’t want to take that chance again.

2 Likes

Have fun then.

I have been doing the same thing with my 2016 mbp 15" and now the battery says “needs servicing”…sometimes it doesn’t charge at all.
Will it explode?

That’s a failing battery. It will need to be replaced, which involves replacing the whole topcase with the keyboard and trackpad.

If it’s under warranty still it’s free. There’s 2 prices for topcase replacement. One for battery issues and one for anything else. There’s a large price difference between the 2, the battery only being the lower cost.

Now that being said, if you haven’t ever had your top case replaced, there’s a repair program for those models that exhibit stuck, repeating, sticky keys, etc. if you’re super nice and see if they can get it in under that program, they battery will get replaced at the same time for free as it is part of the top case.

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

There’s also a repair program for the battery alone, which it sounds like you might qualify for as well for a free battery replacement:

hey mate thanks for this, I did check out those programs, specially the keyboard replacement one since the butterfly keyboard is utterly broken now.
Unfortunately my laptop is too old to be repaired for free, and I am thinking it’s too old to be bothered anyway

waiting on a mac mini m1x for my studio

Running dual externals + built in for a total of 3 screens here on m1 air. All depends on what dock u are using.

1 Like

If it qualifies for the repair program, it doesn’t matter if it’s out of warranty. Still fixed for free.

Can you drive dual 4Ks that way?

Yep.

Edit: I’m doing it without the display link software he mentions

where are you getting this info?
cause I’d love for it to be true but at the bottom of the apple repair service page it says

“The program covers eligible MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit.”

my laptop was bought 5 years ago…

Didn’t know yours was 5 years. You must have bought on day 1. :slight_smile:
The one for the keyboard is 4 years (which would be ooo), but again, be nice, they’ll sometimes make exceptions. Tell them how much you love the device and a new Mac isnt in the cards right now.

The battery one, last I checked, didn’t ha e a time limit. If you have those updates installed, and your battery is failing, they’ll fix it.