Anyone tried out Yamaha Reface yet?

Yeah I have to say, I bought the DX earlier this year and haven’t really used it for sounds—the touch sliders, while a decent idea, are perhaps a bit too fiddly to use properly. The keybed is fantastic though, and it’s currently being used as a controller for my monomachine/octatrack/nord modular. I’d probably swap it for a CS though if I got the chance… though I don’t think they transmit velocity from the keys? maybe the CP then…

DX200 is pretty badass, but have you tried the Montage yet?

Have the CP love it, rarely seen for sale 2nd hand unlike DX that always can be found.

Yeah even thought of getting the Montage just for the FM engine, but don’t need all the other sample crap etc that it comes with. Wish they would extract the Montage FM engine out into its own knobby synth. Game over right there

i think fm on the reface is more understandable and learnable then on the dx 200.
the dx200 is more guesswork (but full of happy accidents)

Ha, not quite that, that thing is huge, will have to take another look.

I am thinking of grabbing a Reface CP for 230€…
Anyone got some experience with this rompler ? Worth it ?

had a little play on one of these and it sounds great. wasnt particularly interested but now its my first choice reface

I had one, for about a year or so. It sounds absolutely outstanding for what it sets out to do, and while it offers interesting options for sound design, given the sources it emulates, it’s still not a tool for sound design per se.

If you’re looking for a small set of vintage keyboard sounds, and playing them in a portable format is vital, then this is great.

If the sounds themselves are important, but not so much the other stuff, then there are sources who are equally good. Korg’s keyboard app comes to mind, for example.

But it’s a marvel, for sure.

Man, I wish Yamaha made a Reface workstation. Doesn’t have to a new Motif, but just the idea of producing more complete stuff in such a quality package, would be so sweet.

I mean, Roland did it with their JD-Xi. It can be done. I’d just like to see someone else do it, and do it right.

Yes, I only want the Rhodes and Clavinet sound (I’ve dreamed of it for ages, although I’m not a great keyboard player).
It seems to fulfill 100% my need for playing a few lines with such sounds :slight_smile:
The kind of keyboard I can bring anywhere to practice.

It seems the MIDI implementation is really thin, though, so I know I won’t go a lot further than just playing the few sounds available with the few FX offered.
Not really a tool for sound design, but beautiful instrument to play with :slight_smile:

And I am aware I can’t change the MIDI channel (why oh why, since it’s available on DX and CS ??!?) so I won’t be able to use it as a controller.

It looks like you can change the midi channel on the CP, but it doesn’t exactly look like a quick and easy process: https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=538:reface-cp-midi-primer-setting-the-midi-receive-channel&Itemid=102

I consider getting one from time to time, as I love the Rhodes sound, but every time I go to pull the trigger I wonder how much value I’d get from it. It’s still on the radar though :slight_smile:

Thank you dear for the intel :slight_smile:
Definitely useful (although indeed rather intricate).

I wasn’t clear enough, I wanted to say that would have loved to be able to use it as an external keyboard for my other synths.
For this I would need to be able to change the transmit midi channel, that is set by default to 1 (!!)

I just can’t believe nowadays this simple feature is so easily discarded.
I don’t fell that my setup is that uncommon, a keyboard and a bunch of machines plugged to the same USB hub.

Anyway, to come back to the subject, I do want this Rhodes sound in my life, and it seems this little thing is the one !
Thx friends ! :thup:

1 Like

I thought for sure they added the ability to change both the receive and transmit midi channels, and it looks like they did, so what you want appears to be possible (pages 8 & 9): https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/0/960060/v130_Manual_en.pdf
The process looks a little easier than the previous link I posted :wink:

2 Likes

I broke down and bought the Reface DX last week, since I’m a sucker for FM. Couldn’t justify it when they were $500, but for $300 I’m glad I grabbed one. Certainly the easiest to program FM synth I’ve ever used, and being able to fire CCs at it gives it a big advantage over my other FM synths. Here’s a little living room jamming with it last night, along with the Boss DR-660 and sequencing with the Squarp Pyramid: https://www.instagram.com/p/BW6eCQunMkd/

2 Likes

Wow, nice find mate !!!
Ok, buying basket !

:smiley:

That’d be the Minilogue. AskAudio had a DIY feature on how to lose the keys and make it into a box instead.

3 Likes

The entire Reface line has so much potential to become so many cool things.

Did you ever use the iOS patch librarian for Reface?

I’m curious if it’s utility, and ease of use.
Reface CS for $300 seems an ideal DT companion.

1 Like

Yep. It’s okay. A bit awkward, but it works. But once you get to know the CS, you won’t need it. You’ll find your way to sounds new and familiar, with enough ease.

2 Likes

DX mk2 with lots of knobs and real physical sliders thanks Yamaha