Anyone still modding their Monotribes

Seems all the hubbub and excitement is long gone.
But the 2 mods I do to my Monotribes, the VCO mute mod
and the external CV to filter cutoff mod I have done to some
of my 6 Monotribes, to me at least add life to this old beast.

I feel like the Maytag repairman, as all the buzz seemed to
be from 2011-2013, and I did not even buy my first Monotribe
until March 2016!

1 Like

I midi modified (from individual components but largely based on googleable circuits) one of the pair that I have within the last two years iirc

I still like the immediacy and sound and I’ve not given up hope on doing some of the common mods - possibly the VCA click one and toggleable tweaks to the drum sounds and maybe separating the drums out

These are great units, modded or not imho, pure fun and the filter and oscs are fantastic - the buzz may be gone but they’re still worth investing time into although the analog market has transformed markedly in the intervening years

Dr Monotribe Mods ('naut darenager) will no doubt be along to fill you in with recent business insider Monotribe modding stats

3 Likes

One of the mods I did was allow external CV from the ADSR on the 2 microbrutes to control these Monotribes. an 1/8" jack, 11k resistor tied to the Fc middle pot wiper.

3 Likes

I just acquired my first monotribe. I always was a bit turned off by the plastic volca stuff even if some of them sounded awesome.
But I have to say the build quality is pretty cool. And the sound is really big. Can’t wait to try it with my other machines. so far I love it.

I’ve wondered about the build quality myself, so this is good to hear.
I have a list of low end gear, that I want, which I will buy as an impulse purchase. Things like the microgranny, Kastle, etc with the monotribe on that list as well. I think I’ll grab one next time I’m feeling flush as the prices are pretty special nowadays.

1 Like

Got mine for 110€ but have seen them with original package for 300€. This is a silly price tag imho.

Deffo. That’s the sort of price I see them for as well, sometimes about £40 if the midi mods have been done. Anyone selling at that price is dreaming!

theres a buy it now with the midi mod on eBay uk for ÂŁ150 rn

would be buying if I had any spare cash!

If you are patient you can sometimes find them for ÂŁ100-120, I do think they will continue to appreciate in value though.

Essential mods IMHO are midi and de-click as they are fairly simple and make it 10x better.

Just don’t buy that “Amazing” midi kit because it isn’t.

1 Like

Almost impossible to find on kijiji for sale anymore.
But at 6 I have spares and some.

Darenager should make some midi kits. I missed the boat in these.

@MarkPigott I still have some of the parts so I might do another run of the midi and other mods this year.

3 Likes

Multiple Monotribes = multiple fun! I love to run them at different tempos/step ratios and the daisy chain feature is pretty dope too.

2 Likes

Saw a cool video for the J74 MTribe editor for the PC. one function he did is remove the
Midi Note Off, to help declick as the VCA stays on.

I adapted his technique for OTB by sending my Midi’d MT no Note Off via Midi Solutions Event Processor. As this MT has a Microbrute as a controller I use the Gate to trigger the VCA/VCF of a Retroverb in series with this droned Monotribe.

His solution via midi is a great way to mitigate the click with off the shelf hardware!

Monotribe was my first real synth and I bought it to mod it. LoL. I don’t have time fo’ that.

Cool synth, though.

2 Likes

Unconventional Top Cheek mod on yer MS20 there :wink:

1 Like

1/2" plywood and some cedar. Press fit to 22.5".
Spent a whopping 15 minutes to make, but 3 years
for the “round2it”.

1 Like

Finally got my newest mutation Mutatribe built.

Ingredients:
CV controller: Microbrute. CV out to CV in on 2 Monotribes in parallel
(yes I literally tie two outputs together to go into the Audio In on the Microbrute!)

Gate control: ENV OUT on Microbrute to both Gate-Ins on the Monotribes,
but this ENV OUT also feeds the middle lug on both Monotribes Cutoff control mod via 12k resistors from jacks on the side of the Monotribes.

As mentioned before the Audio Out on both Monotribes feed the Audio-In on the Microbrutes.

Hacks a lovely sound. No more strident VCOs from the Microbrute!

1 Like